Free Agency 2006

G

Looking around the web it looks like Rocky Boiman, Brad Kassell, Tim Dwight and Marc Boergiter are making their rounds to different teams. The Jets are supposedly interested in Kassel and feel he fits the mold of the Patriots linebackers which is a compliment. I hope he gets signed by the Jets...he will be a good addition. Boiman is getting alot of interest from the Bengals, he also has visits with the Cowboys and Packers. Boerigter has meetings set up with the Bucs and Packers too. I would love to see the Packers pick up Boiman and Boerigter and draft AJ Hawk too. Dwight has a meeting with the Steeler scheduled and visited the Jags last week.

guest301

Hall of Famer
I hope the Packers pick up all those guys too so I can have more than one reason to root for the Packers,Bret Favre. Hope the Cowboys can pick up some of those guys too because I'm not going to handle it well if they sign T.O., like it's been reported they are likely to do. Jerry Jones (cowboys owner) sure likes to draw attention to himself.

G

Matt Bowen signed by the Bills. They also have Jim Leonhard, Rob Lee and Coy Wire on the team.

G

Rocky Boiman signs with the Cowboys and Jeb Putzier with the Texans.

guest301

Hall of Famer
It's hard to be a Cowboys fan these days after the T.O. thing but the signings of Jason Fabini and Rocky Boiman help some.

ocaamikedm11

Mentor
The Cowboys also signed Kyle Kosier I believe, and they do have Witten, Shanle, and the promising young LB from Duke whos name is slipping my mind right now... so they have some guys to cheer for. I've heard rumblings of LB being their #1 priority in the draft, don't know how the Boiman signing effects that. But if they could add a guy like Carpenter they'd be pretty high on my list of favorite teams in the NFL...
smiley4.gif

guest301

Hall of Famer
Who's Kyle Kosier? I think the linebacker from Duke that you are thinking of is Ryan Fowler.

ocaamikedm11

Mentor
He played for the Lions last year and for the 49ers the previous 4.. started 16 games for the 49ers 2 years ago and 11 starts for the Lions... I believe he is expected to replace Larry Allen unless the Cowboys take on his huge bonus. If not, Kosier will play the other guard.

guest301

Hall of Famer
Thanks ocaamikedm11. What's the meaning of that moniker if you don't mind me asking?

guest301

Hall of Famer
I hope they use Dwight to do more than return punts and catch five yard outs.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Maybe Dwight can get a little more playing time there.They always loved Wayne Chrebet there in NY.The coaches seem more fair than most.I would love to see him be a 3rd receiver and get close to 1000 yards.Good luck to him in the Big Apple.
smiley32.gif

KG2422

Mentor
The main obstacle for Dwight is his health. He's been one of my favorite players since he was at Iowa. I love the way he plays the game.

guest301

Hall of Famer
You mean besides his skin tone, KG2422.
smiley2.gif

KG2422

Mentor
Of course. He set many state records as a tailback in Iowa in high school. If he were black, he may have been encouraged to bulk up and stay at tailback in college. I think he's 5'9'', 180. He could have put on 20 more lbs. In hindsight, he probably wouldn't have had the durability for it ,but the hits you take at receiver are different than the ones you take running between the tackles. Your ribs are more exposed at receiver. The wear and tear on a running back is more of a cumalitive thing.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
According to today's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, if he had signed with the Steelers Dwight would have had no chance to move ahead of the great Cedric Wilson on the team's receiving corps. Wilson was on the field almost all of the time in '05 as the Steelers #2-3 wideout and responded with a measly 26/451 and zero touchdowns, yet has been promoted to #2 after Randel-El signed with Washington. But Wilson did have a couple of nice playoff games, and that of course is all it takes to create a star aura around a black football player.

I did learn a nice trivia fact about Dwight -- he's the only active NFL player to score multiple touchdowns receiving (17), rushing (3), returning punts (3), and returning kickoffs (2).

Safety Kevin McCadam left the Falcons and signed with Carolina, but who knows whether the Panthers will let him play or use him mostly as a WSTD like Atlanta did.

Has anyone heard anything about Kevin Curtis, who is a RFA? If no team has any interest in signing him to an offer sheet, that's unbelievable, even for the NFL. He is good enough to start for anyone.

guest301

Hall of Famer
Cowboys just sign kicker Mike Vanderjagt. Outside of Vinateri, I think he's been the best kicker the last four years or so. I just wish he had made that kick against the patriots in the playoffs this year.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The Patriots re-signed Heath Evans, and Len Pasquarelli of ESPN.com actually complimented him. Will wonders never cease?

"The New England Patriots on Thursday re-signed running back Heath Evans to a one-year contract, ESPN.com has learned. Evans is a combination back, a runner with the physique of a fullback but the skill of a tailback, and he is most effective playing in a one-back formation.

"Evans, 27, was a third-round choice of Seattle in 2001, and spent the first four seasons of his career with the Seahawks, before signing with Miami last spring. He was released by the Dolphins and signed with the Patriots, at a point when New England's backfield was decimated by injuries.

"In 73 games, including four starts, Evans has rushed for 300 yards on 85 carries. With the Patriots in '05, he carried 52 times for 192 yards, appearing in 12 games and starting three of them."

guest301

Hall of Famer
My Cowboys sign Vanderjagt and T.O...the league's only trash talking kicker and just trash T.O. who's not truly sorry about anything he's done as evidenced by the latest rap song he's put out about him getting all his money...I guess that makes it ok Terrell..you got your money but you threw your team and Quaterback under the bus..

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Talented receiverslike Kevin Curtis and Marc Boerigter are generating no interest, while the Seahawks sign Nate Burleson to a 7-year $49 million deal. Burleson's had one good year -- '04 when he went 68/1006/9. Sandwiched around that year are seasons with 29 receptions and 30 receptions. A lot of the money isn't guaranteed and Seattle may have been motivated in part by revenge after Minnesota signed all-world guard Steve Hutchinson, but still. . . talk about overpaying for an afflete.

devans

Mentor
Mike Furrey won a starting spot at St Louis in his first season as a defensive back after converting from WR. He played pretty well by all accounts and has been rewarded with being let go. No contract was offered (by Jim Haslett?)
I don't think he's generating a stampede of agents and scouts either, and a lot of football sites have him rated as the bottom of the list of UFA defensive backs! What exactly did he do wrong? I must have missed all the bad plays, missed tackles and dropped catches.
Strange.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Don Wassall said:
Talented receivers like Kevin Curtis and Marc Boerigter are generating no interest, while the Seahawks sign Nate Burleson to a 7-year $49 million deal. Burleson's had one good year -- '04 when he went 68/1006/9. Sandwiched around that year are seasons with 29 receptions and 30 receptions. A lot of the money isn't guaranteed and Seattle may have been motivated in part by revenge after Minnesota signed all-world guard Steve Hutchinson, but still. . . talk about overpaying for an afflete.

Why do they let a guy like Joe Jurevicius go and sign a guy like Burleson? JJ would have played for less money, played the entire season, and caught more passes, for more yards, and more TD's, than Burleson. How else can one explain this other than the caste system?

white lightning

Hall of Famer
This has happened to Joe his whole career.Look how Ed McCafrey was treated before he finally found a home with the Broncos.It is just very hard to keep your job if you are a white receiver regardless of your talent level.They seem to always find a reason to get rid of you.
smiley7.gif

guest301

Hall of Famer
I think he will do very well in Cleveland and I'm fairly sure he will be a starter.