Flutie-Phelan benefit from racism?

Deus Vult

Mentor
Did anyone else catch the halftime feature on tonight's BC-Miami game (Nov 23)?

They were breaking down the famous touchdown completion from the 1984 BC-Miami game. Short snippets from players on both sides set the stage for the final play. All seem to indicate that Gerard Phelan was largely ignored while the black BC receivers drew Miami's black DBs.

Reading between the lines, it appears all were admitting they underestimated the white boy.

It's not like Phelan was a no-name on the depth chart. He had 10 or 12 catches in that game, none bigger than the last one.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Is there any way we can quit using that term for OUR OWN MEN, even in that context? I am sick of hearing and seeing it, and would appreciate it if we, who are supposedly in support of white athletes, would quit using their terms to describe ourselves. I hate to see that term posted on here more than almost anything. Maybe I'm alone in this though, I don't know.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with you, Col. Reb, though I think Deus, who isone of the smartest men I know,was using it in a sarcastic sense.

I'm very tuned into how English is being used as a weapon against both whites and white men. All whites should be aware of how our language is constantly used in ways against us. It's a key component of Cultural Marxism, which we must recognize and call attention to whenever possible.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I understand the sarcasm, but think it would be better left unsaid. As an educator, I have learned the importance of using the right terminology when talking about an issue to students. Instead of being converted to liberalism, we can convert them to conservatism by using the same language tactics that the media uses. I find the concept very empowering, even though the students can choose whether to accept it or not.

Deus Vult

Mentor
Point taken, gentlemen. Yes, I did use "white boy" in the sarcastic, ironic sense. But I take the good Colonel's point -- much as blacks urge one another to avoid use of "******" because it is otherwise a term of derision -- that we should reject altogether terms and phrases that are demeaning to us.

JD074

Master
I really dislike the term as well, but I have used it from time to time to make a point. It's all about context.