Fedor vs. Dan Henderson

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Looks like Fedor will return to face former Pride WW & LHW champ Dan Henderson at a catch-weight in July. Personally, I think Fedor needs to move to LHW and stay there. He already proved he was the best HW fighter in the world (& MMA fighter of all time). He needs to end his career on a winning note (at LHW).

Fedor Emelianenko vs. Dan Henderson Planned for July Strikeforce Event

Posted by Kris Karkoski on Apr 10, 2011 at 12:00 pm ET

A matchup between Strikeforce light heavyweight champion Dan Henderson and former top-ranked heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko is in the works to headline a July Strikeforce event that will likely mark the promotion's debut on pay-per-view.

Strikeforce's Scott Coker confirmed the plans after Saturday's "Strikeforce: Diaz vs. Daley"Â￾ event, but said details remain to be worked out, including what weight the fight would take place at.

Emelianenko (31-3) has faced calls to drop to light heavyweight following back-to-back losses and reportedly wants to fight Henderson at a catchweight, possibly as a test for a move to 205-pounds, but Henderson (27-8) is said to be okay with moving up to heavyweight for the bout despite fighting as a middleweight as recently as last year.

http://mmafrenzy.com/18174/fedor-emelianenko-vs-dan-henderson-planned-for-july-strikeforce-event/

Edited by: DixieDestroyer

hawkeye

Guru
Stupid matchup. Fedor probably wins but he is facing someone who's fighting weight is bestat 185, I don't much care for these catchweight fights.

Deacon

Guru
Fedor is going to neutralize Dan's wrestling with Sambo and pick up the victory.

Hawkeye2

Mentor
I lost alot of respect for Fedor for taking this fight. If Fedor was to drop to 205 it would be different, but I am not a fan of this whole catch weight system. Henderson fighting weight is under 200, and fedor fights at 230. In ten years of wrestling I never fought someone that was thirty pounds less than me. I said the same thing when Kimbo was going to fight Shamrock.

Deacon

Guru
Hendo said when he first signed with Strikeforce that he'd love to fight Fedor. The Russian is just granting him his wish.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Here's the card for Saturday's Strikeforce - Fedor vs. Henderson.

Main card (Showtime)
Preliminary card

***The ol' Dixie outlaw will be pullin' for Fedor, (Army hero) Kennedy, Cavalcante (vs. afflete Green), & Stinson.

P.S. - Sherdog's MMA "Pro's" survey has 18 for Fedor & 14 for Hendo...

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/Pros-Pick-Fedor-vs-Henderson-34315

Last edited:

Hawkeye2

Mentor
Tyler Stintson needed just 15 seconds to ko Eduardo Pamplona(15-2). Great debut for one of my prospects as the 25 year old improves to 21-7. :smiley:

Liverlips2

Yeah, Pamplona is a black Brazilian so glad to see our guy KTFO.

Cavalcante defeated afflete Green as well. Good night so far.

Not sure who to cheer for in Hendo v. Fedor. If Fedor wins I hope he will consider a drop to 205 and a run at the UFC belt.

Liverlips2

Good to see Kennedy get the win. I thought he beat Jacare pretty clearly last year but got screwed by the judges.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
That stinks Smith couldn't get it done. Glad to see Kennedy beat half caste (Korean) Lawler.

Hawkeye2

Mentor
I'm kind of glad smith lost because he just isn't that good. If not for a lucky win over Cung Le he would not be in Strikeforce. He has performed horrible in his last four fights. Also I didn't know Robbie Lawler was Half-Korean other then the fact that he looks like B.J. Penn.

Hawkeye2

Mentor
Some might call it an early stoppage, by Fedor as usually came out trying to brawl and he paid for it. It's a shame, last year Fedor was my favorite fighter and now he's getting beat by guys in weight classes lower than him, and guys older than him.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
That was the worst stoppage I've ever seen in MMA.

Fedor wasn't badly hurt, he turned around and was regaining control.

Hawkeye2

Mentor
Fedor looked terrible in this fight right from the start. Hendo was throwing much more crisp punches and Fedor did land flat on his face. It's the same scenario as the Tim Sylvia/Abe Wagner fight, I think that might have been an early stoppage as well.

white is right

Hall of Famer
That was one of the worst stoppages I have ever seen in MMA history. Fedor was in worse shape when Brett Rogers was pounding him and when the big Brazilian was pounding him. It's like Dean was expecting a violent ko so he stopped it before the combo landed, but if you look at the video Fedor still had his wits about him. Fedor was trying to kickout and trying to rise or roll with anticipated shots. That stoppage was as bad as Tyson vs Ruddock I. That said Fedor has clearly slipped and should pack it in if he doesn't want to slip down to a stepping stone type fighter.

The Hock

Master
Could it be Fedor was overrated all along? I'm wondering. I'm no expert, but all the times I've seen him fight he has struggled more than a GOAT should, or lost. When he was winning so much, was he beating quality fighters? Ever since he moved to UFC and Strikeforce he hasn't looked like much to me.

On a more positive note, great submission by that little gal from down in Sac. Picture perfect use of tactics and thinking on her part. The Dutch women needs to learn how to defend takedowns.

Liverlips2

Fedor was truly the p4p king in the mid 2000s. he beat Cro Cop, Nogiuera, Randleman and others and was clearly the best in MMA.

But - like Chuck Lidell and Wanderlei Silva - he got older and the sport has passed him by.

I really hope Fedor retires as he is just hurting his reputation at this point. He cannot beat any top 10 heavyweight in the UFC now and will wind up a stepping stone (like Cro Cop).

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
I agree the stoppage was premature...however, Fedor lost the fight. IMO, he is the best MMA fighter of all time, but is now tarnishing his legacy. As much as it pains me to say this, he needs to retire (IMHO). No doubt he was the best fighter on the planet and P4P from 2000-2009. However, this decade hasn't been kind to him, as he's lost to fighters he would have crushed (circa 2005).

FYI, here's the Fedor/Hendo fight...

http://www.mma-core.com/videos/_Dan_Henderson_vs_Fedor_Emelianenko_Strikeforce_?vid=10021406&tid=100

icsept

Master
Premature stoppage. There have been guys in far worse position who came back and won, i.e. Kongo v. Barry. Plus, as a fan I want to see a damn fight, not a stoppage. The whole card was pretty boring, and this had a chance to be the best fight.

Malfoy

It looked premature but when I saw the replay and how he flattened out and saw how he was walking and looking afterwards I think it was a justified stoppage. And I don't think Fedor got old. He's 6 years younger than Henderson after all! I think that he refuses to evolve. He has never seriously improved in BJJ. He does Sambo which, having trained both, is markedly inferior to BJJ. And it has cost him in his last three fights. He keeps on trying for that quick ground and pound which doesn't work anymore. Instead of coming over and training with Blackhouse, American Top Team, or Jackson's Submission he hangs out with his boys in some gym in Bumblefvck Russia. That may work with a weak heavyweight division that was scared of him but it won't with his confidence broken, their confidence flying high, and MMA changing everyday.

Hawkeye2

Mentor
Ironically all the boring fights on the card were from black fighters. I think the Woodley/Daley fight, Woodley did noting but dry hump his way to victory, for a super afflete Woodley sure doesn't know much about strikeing. Also the GSJ/ Humes fight contained nothing but GSJ trying to take Humes down. The thing is black guys don't get called for lay-n-pray like white guys do. Tim Kennedy looked great as always and Tyler Stinson on the undercard showed some serious power.
Some other things I should mention the stoppage wasn't the worste call of the day for Herb Dean. In the Bobby Green/JZ fight Green did Tap out and Dean missed the Tapout. Also one good thing that might come out of Fedor loseing was that if Fedor was to win the fight Strikeforce had plans to push him to fight Daniel Cormier, because Strikeforce cut Overeem, Cormier is the new guy they are trying to promote. Cormier is an Olympic wrestler and would most likely lay-n-pray his way to victory. Strikeforce is a problack organization that strives to promote affletes.

Anak

Mentor
I don't believe Fedor ever lost consciousness firstly, and he was defending himself as Herb Dean stepped in he was pulling Hendo into guard. Very questionable stoppage. There was more justification for stopping the Kongo and Diaz fights than there was here.