Fab Five MELTDOWN

j41181

Master
The "great minds" of the FAB FIVE finally speak about how they TRULY felt after they LOST to Duke in the 1992 NCAA Championship...
smiley36.gif

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/Jalen-Rose-criticizes-Duke-in-upcoming-Fab-Five-?urn=ncaab-wp113

"For me, Duke was personal. I hated Duke and I hated everything I felt Duke stood for," Rose said in the film. "Schools like Duke didn't recruit players like me. I felt like they only recruited black players that were Uncle Toms."

"The faces of Duke, I didn't like them," King said.

"I hated Duke. I hated Duke," Ray Jackson added.

"Certain schools recruit a typical kind of player whether the world admits it or not. And Duke is one of those schools," he said. "They recruit black players from polished families, accomplished families. And that's fine. That's OK. But when you're an inner-city kid playing in a public school league, you know that certain schools aren't going to recruit you. That's one. And I'm OK with it. That's how I felt as an 18-year-old kid." (Jalen Rose)

Van_Slyke_CF

Mentor
My response:

"I hated everything Georgetown basketball stood for a quarter century, led by a hateful Negro who recruited only Negroes, and most of them had no business being in a school that supposedly prides itself on academics. A white teenager playing anywhere in the world during that time knew that Georgetown would not recruit him. I'm not O.K. with it now, nor was I then."

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
So what Jalen Rose hated was success: Successful families with two-parent homes, success in athletics: He made light of Grant Hill's father and his famous football career, success in academics, he made light of his Grant'smother's choice of attending a prestegious college and Duke University itself, a top 5 college in the country. So, my conclusion is, maybe that's why"The Failed Five", never won a national championship. They're too ignorant to understand what succes is and how to obtain it.

To your point Vanslyke, you wouldn't have been able to speak your mind about Georgetown, the way "the failed five" spoke about decent people and Duke University. It's sickening to sit their and watch while ESPN's Boby Ley slobered all over 3 of the fab five. If you worked for ESPN the wayJalen does and made those comments you would have been vilified, thrown under the bus and fired by ESPN!

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Looks like Rose isn't just making up crap about Duke, but he's also trying to create revisionist history with the claim that they were the first to use long/baggy shorts.

CHICAGO -- Former Illinois players Stephen Bardo and Kendall Gill think Jalen Rose is shorting the truth when it comes to the roots of the baggy shorts trend.

Rose said in ESPN's documentary "The Fab Five" that he and his Michigan
teammates started the phenomenon when they asked then-Wolverines coach
Steve Fisher during their freshman year if they could wear baggier
shorts.

But Bardo and Gill see it a little differently. They say
it was the Flyin' Illini team of the late '80s who first sported the
baggy shorts that have become the norm in college hoops over the past
two decades.

"I do think it's revisionist history because they
did not start the baggy shorts [trend], we did," Bardo said Monday
night on "Chicago's GameNight" with Jeff Dickerson and Jonathan Hood.
"The Flyin' Illini did. That was Kendall Gill that started that, that
wasn't Jalen Rose. So I know he took credit for that, but I have to
remind people that we had baggy shorts before they came on the scene."

Gill backed his former Illini teammate's claim.

"Yeah, he's telling the absolute truth," Gill said later on the show. "And I can tell you they probably won't admit [it], but Juwan [Howard] and Chris Webber would come up to us, myself, Nick Anderson,
Steve Bardo, when they would see us when they got into the league and
they would say, 'You know what? We wore our shorts long because you guys
did it, the Flyin' Illini.' They bit off of us. They did."

Gill said that it took some convincing to get former Illini coach Lou Henson to agree to the uniform change.

"We
said, 'Coach, we're tired of ridin' high, we need some room in those
shorts,'" Gill said. "We knew that they were going to re-design the
uniform the next year so we just [asked] coach to add a couple of inches
length on there. We were surprised that he agreed to it because Coach
Henson is old-fashioned. But he agreed to it and that's how it started."

Gill did say that the Fab Five took things a step further in the uniform department by wearing black socks and black shoes.

"We didn't do the shoes and the socks," Gill
said. "That was in the [era] when gangsta rap was starting to get
popular and the thug life was getting popular. Actually, Michigan, they
actually wore their shorts a little longer than ours, past the knee and
everything, which I did not like, but that was their style. They just
took it to a whole new level."

Bardo thought the look worked well for the Wolverines that season.

"I
remember that [the Wolverines] were 'the 'hood favorites,' no pun
intended," Bardo said "But they were loved throughout urban America. And
they represented kind of a young, rebellious mode that people kind of
took to at that point. And it was a perfect storm for them."http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/news/story?id=6218609