ESPN gives RB Corey Serrano mild props

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
This guy is from the same hometown as Danny Woodhead, North Platte Nebraska. Rivals of course has Serrano completely unrated. True to their hypocracy; Rivals has a snip about how Serrano has flown under the radar just like Woodhead did, being ignored despite dominating the conference for North Platte. HMMM I wonder why, maybe because there isn't a sports coverage site in the history of the world that is more anti-white than Rivals, not even the Nation of Islam Sports Blog. And we have to deal with this site having the most credibility with the stupid drunken college football fans. Kind of hard to get a prospect buzz, when they are completely unranked:

Here is "White extinction" Rival's snip on Serrano. You have to be a subscriber to read the rest of the article. If anyone on this site is foolish enough to subscribe to that wacko site I don't know what to tell you other than that you're a fool:

Serrano one of Nebraska's best out West

Sean Callahan
HuskersIllustrated.com
NORTH PLATTE, Neb. - Former Chadron State running back Danny Woodhead has done a lot for his hometown of North Platte. However, coming out of North Platte High School, Woodhead was overlooked by every major Division I program in the area, enough to the point where if the Bulldogs produce another legitimate D-I prospect it will be hard to overlook him. In 2009, it appears the Bulldogs have a legit prospect in athlete Corey Serrano.

Here is ESPN's analysis of Serrano, who gets the same numerical rating from them as Hunter Furr, Mike Trumpy and Michael Campanaro
6'1 200 lbs.
Rating: 76
Evaluation

This kid is an exciting downhill runner with a decisive, slashing style that really grows on you the more you watch him. Serrano has a solid build and good height-- is built like a safety and could play safety too because he has a linebacker demeanor and really plays physical. He is a workhorse with very good straight-line speed. Shows adequate vision and exceptional balance for a tall back. He can jump cut and pivot quickly and get through the hole with shoulders square. Runs with good forward lean, can bounce off arm tackles and fights for yards after contact. Reaches top speed quickly and shows good burst through the hole. Lowers shoulder into defenders and has very good lateral agility to avoid the first tackle, keep his balance and get back on track. Shows deceptive speed, quickness and change-of-direction when in the open field. He is probably best suited in a two back scheme, but has shown the cutback ability to play in the one-back. He can bounce plays to the edge and turn the corner. He is not always the smoothest back, but he runs under control. Has experience splitting out wide and is a very good receiver with upside to be a weapon on the perimeter. Serrano could be a sleeper with surprising production at the next level. He could also put on bulk and be an athletic fullback/tailback hybrid. He's a good back with good overall production and athleticism. Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

jared

Mentor
"who gets the same numerical rating from them as Hunter Furr, Mike Trumpy and Michael Campanaro"

I notice this tendency a lot among lazy, ignorant caste supporters. White guys are frequently just lumped together in bunches as an afterthought. You know, because they're all basically the same.
smiley11.gif

Exhibit B: Rivals.com lists their top 90 ATH prospects. Marshall Musil, Rex Burkhead, Michael Campanaro, and Ryan Swope are all ranked right next to each other #47-50 in a clump. Coincidence?

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Great post Jared! Yeah I definitely believe you are correct. I've also noted a "token white guy" phenomenon. I've seen a lot of lists for the top 25, 30, 50 etc. players overall for a state in Scout.com's rankings and there often will be a token white WR or RB at the very bottom.

An example would be Beau Blankenship, who got hefty praise from Scout.com for his surprising athleticism and amazing performances at the Dallas Nike Combine camp, he also has put up impressive production for his H.S in Oklahoma. Yet Blankenship is ranked at the very bottom of the Oklahoma top 25 list at # 25. I truly believe there are at least a few black RBs on that list ahead of Beau that Scout.com is less impressed with, but doesn't have the guts to stir things up by ranking a white guy with little buzz so high.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Here's a couple more examples. Rivals has Brandon Wegher as the #13 All Purpose RB which is the very last 4 star spot= token white guy. That is "outrageously" low ranked he should be in the Rivals 100 and he's not even in the 250. This guy is very similar to Sam McGuffie.

And for your lumping analysis Scout.com is doing the same thing, but being a little more discrete about it. At WR; Brett Thompson is ranked 45 and Brady Brown 47. Michael Campanaro is ranked 56, Aaron Fischer 58 and Gino Simone 59. And Billy Ray Stutzmann is ranked 99, Steve Hull 101. Scout actually has 12 white WRs out of the 142 that are ranked, but the highest ranked is Rex Burkhead at # 33 which would be one spot out of the NFL draft average for WRs.

blue_mentos

It doesnt seem like Corey will continue being a RB.

"In 2008, Rice said he will use Serrano as his starting quarterback in a
spread option type offense. The goal of this position move is to let
Serrano's natural athletic ability take over games next season. "

"Rice said most Division I teams are looking are Serrano as a safety
prospect, but really he could play even corner or receiver at the next
level."

Its a shame as he does wonders carrying the ball. Maybe after colleges see a season of him playing QB (if the coach sticks to his plan) they will look at him as a mobile quarterback. I think that would be a better use of his talent than playing safety.