Eric Montross dies.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Former UNC-Chapel Hill All-American Eric Montross has died of Cancer at 52. Most here may not remember him, but he was a great center for the Tarheels and played for legendary coach Dean Smith. As a Cancer survivor myself, it always hurts to here about people dying from this terrible disease especially at such a young age.
Montross played 8 seasons in the NBA. He's a man of faith and had a wife and children. Very sad news. May he rest in peace.

Phall

Master
Sorry to hear. I played center in grade school and had the same crew cut, so occasionally heard the nickname "Montross."

According to the CDC, the Associated Press / Reuters, the official White House website, and the National Cancer Institute, there is no evidence that the covid vaccine causes or exacerbates cancer. So, there is no point even being curious about this or any other untimely death or illness.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I remember him dominating back when I followed college basketball, but it's been a very long time since I've read or heard his name mentioned. What a shame, RIP

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I remember watching him play for North Carolina and he was an intimidating player. May he r.i.p. God bless him and his family.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
RIP.

All accounts he seemed like a good family man who was very active in his community (Chapel Hill). I remember seeing him play in person a few times when he was on the Nets and you could get tickets for dirt cheap. I was too young to remember his UNC days.

icsept

Master
I don’t know where to put this, but Ryan Minor just died of cancer at age 49. ESPN describes him as Cal Ripken’s successor at 3rd base for the Orioles. But I remember him as the 6’6” forward for the Oklahoma Sooners basketball team. He won Big 8 player of the year in 1995 and was drafted to the NBA. It seems weird for these guys to be dying so young.

white is right

Hall of Famer
I don’t know where to put this, but Ryan Minor just died of cancer at age 49. ESPN describes him as Cal Ripken’s successor at 3rd base for the Orioles. But I remember him as the 6’6” forward for the Oklahoma Sooners basketball team. He won Big 8 player of the year in 1995 and was drafted to the NBA. It seems weird for these guys to be dying so young.
Pain killers and true PED's could be a reason for premature deaths. It doesn't mean this is why Montross died or Minor but it's a factor in many premature deaths of NFL players. Anyway thoughts and prayers for the Montross family and now the Minor family.