Equal Prize Money/Best of 5 Sets for Women

Quiet Speed

Mentor
The day Leon Panetta announced that women will be eligible for combat duty I had ABC Nightly News on the TV, which is a rarity. Naturally this was urgently covered by ABC. In a very questionable claim they reported when talking about physical requirements to meet standards women outperform men in endurance while men have greater upper body strength. To them it all works out in the end.

Now that women are on the front lines of war and to boot endurance is a non-issue, I can’t think of one reason why the ladies cannot play the best of 5 matches in the Grand Slams, particularly at the US Open </sarcasm>. Victoria Azarenka collected about $2.5 million at the Australian Open, same as Novak Djokovic. I haven’t check how long Azarenka was on the court compared to Djokovic, but I bet it was considerably less time. Something’s off kilter.

Interestingly, for a time (1984-1998) the WTA Tour Championships had the best of 5 format. Over half of those matches went beyond three sets and three went to five sets. Nobody died.

davidholly

Mentor
Some feminist tried to explain away women getting paid the same prize money as men by saying the Women's final attracts slightly more viewers.

I explained to the person that the men's final lasted like 3 times longer, and the network ultimately receives more money from a 5 hour match attracting 20 million viewers than a 1.5 hour match attracting 22 millions viewers.

davidholly

Mentor
And women don't outperform men in endurance, men naturally operate at a quicker pace than women in physical activity. If a woman tries to keep pace with a male they wear out much faster.

Matra2

Master
Some feminist tried to explain away women getting paid the same prize money as men by saying the Women's final attracts slightly more viewers.

With the exception of the US Open final in recent years men's tennis gets more viewers on TV than women's. The US Open final has been the exception because for the last five years the men's final has been played on a Monday at 4pm ET (1pm Pacific) whereas the women's finals usually involving Serena Williams has been on in the Sunday time slot that's supposed to go to the men's final. Also, it is only in the USA that women's tennis gets the same media attention as the men's game. Given that tennis isn't anywhere near as popular in the US as it is in Europe, where most of the money for tennis comes from, it's ludicrous to argue that women getting the same pay is due to free market forces.

Even when it comes to non-majors the men's game subsidizes women's tennis. It is the WTA that tags along with the men's ATP in Rome, Cincinnati, Indian Wells, and other places because there isn't the demand for WTA's product beyond the top three or four players.

Needless to say the most PC tournament, the US Open, started the trend of giving equal pay to women despite less work and less revenue generated. The other majors only knuckled under within the past ten years.

Quiet Speed

Mentor
Here’s an article from a few days ago on the topic. Included in the piece are some unflattering comments Joe Louis Tsonga made about women players. I can’t get over how quick the author doubled back to let us know Tsonga is alright, nevertheless. Hysterical stuff.

Equal pay divides elite tennis players

PUBLISHED: 25 Jan 2013 12:15:00 | Andrew Heathcote

email print -font +font
9602a734-668c-11e2-ab51-3fc98fe0586b_2013-01-20T045239Z_01_OZ198--646x363.jpg
The Grand Slam prizemoney earned by elite women players such as Maria Sharapova has drawn criticism from some on the men’s tour. Photo: Reuters

Over the next two days, men’s and women’s singles tennis champions will be crowned at the Australian Open. Both winners will receive cheques for $2.43 million. The total prize pool for the men is $22.01 million and women, despite strained protest from some, will get the same amount.

Women and men rarely compete alongside each other on the tennis circuit outside of the grand slam events. When they do, lingering tension about equal prize money is never far from the surface.

In recent days, top male player Jo-Wilfried Tsonga stoked the fire with some less than diplomatic comments about the ability of female players to play at a consistently high standard.

“You know, the girls, they are more unstable emotionally than us,†said the sensitive new age Frenchman. “I’m sure everybody will say its true, even the girls.â€

Earlier this year, another member of France’s Davis Cup team Gilles Simon made some equally provocative comments.

Simon, who sits on the (men’s) Association of Tennis Professionals players’ council, was unequivocal in suggesting that male tennis players should get paid more than their female compatriots.

“We often speak of equal money but I think it’s something that doesn’t work in sport,†Simon said.

“Tennis is the only sport today where we have parity even though men’s tennis remains more attractive than women’s at this time.â€
Men and women receive equal prize money at each of the four grand slam tournaments. Wimbledon become the last to offer women the prize money same as men in 2007.

The Australian Open, which is paying more to the players this year than it ever has before, has been writing matching cheques for more than a decade.
But to some minds, equal pay is anything but fair.

The most commonly used argument against equal pay in tennis is that men play longer matches. In grand slam events men play best of five set matches while women play best of three.

This doesn’t always ensure longer men’s matches but sometimes the disparity in length between men’s and women’s matches can be especially noticeable.
In the 2012 Australian Open, Victoria Azarenka, who has sparked a different controversy this year for her gamesmanship in her semi-final win, received $2.3 million for winning the women’s singles title. In doing so she played 15 games.
The men’s champion last year was Novak Djokovic. He also received $2.3 million but instead of 15 games he played 55, just five less than Azarenka played in her first four matches of the tournament. (Men and women both have to win seven straight matches to win a grand slam event.)

Maria Sharapova lost to Azarenka in last year’s final and Roger Federer lost the men’s event. Both got cheques for $1.15m despite Shaparova having only won three games in her last match of the tournament and Federer winning 25 in his.
Some (men) say such disparities are an outrage. They argue that male players are clearly working harder than the women and therefore deserve more money.
This argument is of course ridiculous – it’s not the fault of Sharapova and Azarenka that their opponents didn’t put up much of a fight. And besides, no one deserves more than $1 million for the effort that goes into playing in a two-week tennis tournament.

Tennis players make large amounts of money because they deliver large amounts of revenue for tournament organisers.

Huge crowds have attended this year tournament including a grand slam record of 80,649 on January 19. Women’s and men’s matches have both proven to be popular and while prime time night sessions on local broadcaster Channel Seven have tended to feature men’s matches more prominently than women’s matches, this might have been very different had Australia’s best player Samantha Stosur performed better.

source

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I was thinking about this very thing during the Australian Open. I can't see it happening yet, as men don't work together for their own interests, and it's still considered "politically incorrect" for public figures to criticize the dear feminists and any of the particulars of their iron grip over Western societies.

If it's equal pay for equal work, let tennis tournaments be co-ed. After all, Cupcake can now serve on the front lines in war, so isn't it "sexist" and "paternal" to deny women the right to prove their equality on tennis courts?

Matra2

Master
When Gilles Simon brought up the issue (he believes the system is unfair to men) Serena Williams mocked such male players as "weenies". That sounds to me like an attempt to shame them into shutting up or be thought of as unmanly.

John McEnroe, who's a lefty in politics as well as on the tennis court, has opposed equal pay in the past - saying it isn't fair to the male players - however, in recent years he seems to have had a change in heart. Maybe because he received public criticism from Mary Carillo, though the appeal of potential TV commercials and future commentating gigs probably played a part too. I mean look at how gay marriage has gone from non-existent to the biggest wedge issue in politics. McEnroe probably saw which way the wind was blowing and decided to protect his future earnings. I think his less contentious stance these days is that the men should only play three setters.

Quiet Speed

Mentor
I can’t get over how quick the author doubled back to let us know Tsonga is alright...

I used sarcasm often and usually can spot when it is being used. The journalist may have used it here and I missed it. It’s only because in this day and age so much convoluted thought actually is part of controlled media’s reporting and stories. In fact, much stuff today reads like an Onion article. That’s why I am so willing to accept the author was being politically correct for Tsonga’s sake and maybe his career.