Do We Need a White Ali/Tyson/Mayweather??

I think of the Kelly Pavlik/Jermain Taylor fight...Two fighters in their primes, undefeated, one world champion & the other the deserved #1 challenger...But yet the truth is it didn't get any real coverage on tv...Outside of boxing fans noone still knows who Pavlik even is...

Would it be better had Pavlik acted like Ali/Tyson/Mayweather with cocky bravado & trash talking, going on talk shows & proclaiming to be the greatest before the fight??...Then when the fight was over continue to talk about how great he is...

Do we need an in your face, cocky, arrogant, a**hole, white guy in boxing(Or sports for that matter), who backs up his talk but "DEMANDS" attention the way Terrell Owens or Ali for instance did??..

& if we did have a white guy who was great but arrogant, would he maybe just turn into one of the most hated athletes, especially by whites??

It's amazing to me how "WHITE" people even still LOVE Mike Tyson no matter what he does, would they feel the same if there was a white heavyweight champion who acted like such...

Or is it better to win politely & humbly with real intelligence the way Wladimir Klitschko is winning but w/o fanfare...

I think we need a white fighter(Especially a KO artist Heavyweight) who acts like Roberto Duran, Ali, Tyson(W/o rape conviction though), Mayweather, Hector Camacho, etc. etc....What does everyone here think??

As always, thanks in advance....

white is right

Hall of Famer
In the late 19th century John L Sullivan acted like the previous guys mentioned and he was a hero to the masses. Aside from Stone Cold Steve Austin I can't think of any other white anti-heroes.....
smiley2.gif

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
You make some good points. In our degraded society most people are attracted to that kind of behavior. Since traditional values have been turned upside down whereas once people wanted polite sportsmanship now they want trash talking poor sportsmanship. WHite players typically don't act that way and when they do the media and fans hate them for it. It will take an Ali type of white sports figure, one who doesn't care that he is reviled for a while, until the paradigm changes. Of course the best thing would be for sports to go back to decent behavior and morality but at this point the only thing we can hope for before our eventual exctintion is to get a few last shots in by being better punks then them.

cjay

by nature, many blacks have that kind of personality, but very few whites do.

i think we just need to keep winning fights and keep spreading the word. remember that the sucess of eastern european boxers has caused an explosion of interest in among young men in the former soviet union, that is not being felt yet at the pro level, but it will be in a few years. slavic men are rather large, but some of the kids that are devoting their lives to boxing now will grow up to be only 145 pounds or so. also, many non-slavic caucasian and eurasian ethnic groups from the former ussr are smaller in stature. these will be the people in the future to dominate the lower-middle wieghts, like they do in wrestling now. i don't want to get into a big discussion of whether azeris or uzbeks are white or not, but they ain't black.

we're looking at the twilight of the black boxer now. enjoy it. Edited by: cjay

White kids have not had a boxing role model for close to 50 years. I hope Kelly Pavlik will be successful long enough to fill this void. Also there are not many places for a white kid to get into boxing as an amateur. Most boxing Gyms are owned by blacks and "ghosts" are not welcome.

It is my opinion that the media would just ignore a white version of Ali. The only way for a white fighter to become bigger than life in my opinion would be to say things like Hopkins said. Say how you enjoy smashing black boy punks. Stuff like that would be sure to get attention. The tribe view everything through the lenses of race. I believe they would give a white fighter major coverage if he said disrespectful things about blacks. He would have to be a champ already as he would be blackballed to ever getting a title shot. Many fans (mostly white) would utterly despise that fighter. However everyone would tune in to see if he got his racist ass kicked. Even the media I believe would cover his fights in the hope that just maybe his black opponent might land that lucky punch. He would have to be a dominant fighter though because they would throw absolutely everything at him to take him out. The only white fighters (or any fighters of any color out there right now ) that are dominant enough to withstand it all are probably Wlad, Pavlik, and Calzaghe.

Thanks for the responses...Guess for now I'll have to be happy with the Russian domination of the "REAL" division, the heavys...& continue to pull for guys like Pavlik, Calzagee(SP), Andy Lee, etc...I was a big Ricky Hatton fan & am still pretty bummed out about that fight, he was probably my favorite fighter of the past couple years...Wish he would have stayed at 140lbs & continued his dominace there...

I'd love to see a white heavyweight champ that has some cockiness to him, maybe not any racial comments the way black are allowed(See James Toney, Bernard Hopkins, etc.)but just a guy who doesn't back down even verbally...

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
"we're looking at the twilight of the black boxer now. enjoy it."

Well said, and very true. As for a white champ who acts like an cocky black a**hole, it's a novelty idea...but no thanks. We've certainly had enough of those showboating losers over the past 50 years to fill the grand canyon.

In the NFL it is now commonplace to "dance like a fa**ot / celebrate / belittle your opponent / spike the ball" on even routine tackles, catches, or first downs. It makes me wonder how the hell sports got so pointless (sometime after integration, I suppose?).

johnnyboy

Guru
jaxvid said:
You make some good points. In our degraded society most people are attracted to that kind of behavior. Since traditional values have been turned upside down whereas once people wanted polite sportsmanship now they want trash talking poor sportsmanship. WHite players typically don't act that way and when they do the media and fans hate them for it. It will take an Ali type of white sports figure, one who doesn't care that he is reviled for a while, until the paradigm changes. Of course the best thing would be for sports to go back to decent behavior and morality but at this point the only thing we can hope for before our eventual exctintion is to get a few last shots in by being better punks then them.

i think you're absolutely right. i hate to say it but in order to compete in today's media driven sports world, white ahtletes are probably going to have to trash talk more and bring more attention to themselves. its weird. i still have great respect for the old school mentality found in sports. the idea that the team comes first, the fans are important, and that a player should be grateful for the opportunity to play a sport for a living. but i think those views arent the ones pushed most often, by the media. its the loud-mouths, me-first, terrell owens type players that get all the accolades and media coverage. mike furrey can go out and outperform t.o. on any given sunday,but after the game, the reporters will all still b in front of t.o.'s locker.its a shame.