Dick Butkus

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Sad news, he was an all-time great. Tough as nails, symbolic of White toughness and the White domination of the NFL until the Caste System went hard-core. Great personality too. RIP

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Oh my God!
He was the greatest!! A beast who put fear in the hearts of his opponents.
One of my all-time favorites.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Oh my God!
He was the greatest!! A beast who put fear in the hearts of his opponents.
One of my all-time favorites.
My favorite scene of Dick was the frozen breath coming out of his mouth and Butkus storming at the running back or quarterback and making a vicious tackle that would be illegal today.

I never saw him play live even though I remember the Dolphins from the era as the Bears were awful during his era and was the lone bright light on an awful team for a near decade. The NFC teams I usually saw on Sundays were the Cowboys at the 1pm time and the Rams on the 4PM time.

Sad news as he was Mr. Bear and is regarded as the greatest Bear of all-time that list includes, Grange, Payton, George and Luckman.

Last edited:

white lightning

Hall of Famer
What a legend. Back in the days when men were still men. Now we have a bunch of soy boys!

The guy was an animal and a leader in every way. The women loved Dick Butkus and the men admired him. May
he rest in peace. Thanks for a lifetime of memories.

wile

Master
As a young fella I got to watch him on TV in his gimpy sad years hanging on and as a Packers fan the obligatory sports fan hatred. Thing is he looked ok at the season opener talking to his nephew on the Pack coaching staff. Can anyone tell me off the top of his head how he could afford Malibu?

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Butkus did a lot of commercials, played himself in some TV shows and movies, and was otherwise a celebrity, so I'm sure he made a lot of money that way in addition to whatever he may have saved and invested as a player.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
RIP. Sad to see yet another icon of a better time in this country pass away.

Brad Holmeboy

Butkus did a lot of commercials, played himself in some TV shows and movies, and was otherwise a celebrity, so I'm sure he made a lot of money that way in addition to whatever he may have saved and invested as a player.
Ahead of his time, in how he stayed relevant through further generations.