Danny Woodhead

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
I love all of the attention that Danny is getting, and the articles paint a picture of a man who is the antithesis of, say, Antonio "Gets me anutha ho" Cromartie and others (of which there are legion) of his ilk.
I, however, don't like that he is always referred to as an "overachiever". That is BS. How many articles have you seen about Ray Rice that call him an "overachiever"? Danny has to "overachieve" to make up for the dread melanin deficiency.

DWFan

Mentor
FootballDad said:
I love all of the attention that Danny is getting, and the articles paint a picture of a man who is the antithesis of, say, Antonio "Gets me anutha ho" Cromartie and others (of which there are legion) of his ilk.
<div>I, however, don't like that he is always referred to as an "overachiever".  That is BS.  How many articles have you seen about Ray Rice that call him an "overachiever"?  Danny has to "overachieve" to make up for the dread melanin deficiency.</div>

I am to the point where I don't even understand what the term "overachieve" means. It just doesn't make any sense to me. The closest meaning I can see that would make a small bit of sense is that they are defying natural law to go beyond a physical limitation.Edited by: DWFan

Kaptain

Master
The black sambos at the NFL Network can't help laughing when the issue of Danny Woodhead is brought up. In this clip, they predictably over-react when Joe Theismann slips-up and says "Woodcock" instead of Woodhead. Minutes long laughter ensues.

Black Sambos

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Dang, that studio sounds a lot like the monkey house at the Memphis Zoo.

TNB theatrics. Way over the top reaction to the gaffe.

I hope Danny does some damage to that Jets defense tonight!

G

Those bufoons are our allies, so bad are they towards whites that they are creating the division we need instead of this phony kumbaya that our white liberal enemies shove down our throats. Throw em a couple of 40s.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Another problem with being short, from a small school, and yes-- white. Interesting article about Danny Woodhead not having a football card.

(article)
He's a small-town guy from Nebraska who went to a small school â€" Chadron State â€" where he was the best player in the nation two years in a row as the winner of the Harlon Hill Trophy and destroyed the record books with 7,962 rushing yards and 109 touchdowns, both NCAA records.

He went undrafted in 2008 and toiled on the New York Jets practice squad before getting some playing time last season. He was cut earlier this year after getting attention on HBO's Hard Knocks and featured treatment from Coach Rex Ryan's memorable mouth ("Look at that little *&^%$#$,"Â said Ryan, watching a preseason touchdown), only to sign on with the New England Patriots where he's become a cult hero of sorts.

He's a small-in-stature guy, just 5-foot-7 (though 200 pounds), who could probably blend in well behind the counter at your local fast food joint or working the shelves at Modell's â€" after all, he has sold his own football jerseys there in relative anonymity despite the fact that he scored six touchdowns this season while playing alongside the likes of Tom Brady and Wes Welker.

And worst of all? He has yet to appear on a single licensed pack-released NFL trading card. (But that will soon change â€" keep reading.)

His name? Danny Woodhead.

Woodhead hasn't gone unnoticed by football fans, though, as his rise from obscurity to a cult hero on one of the NFL's most-successful teams has fought through the drought of memorabilia.

Search eBay now and you'll find nearly 200 auctions for Woodhead items â€" quite a number considering his lack of trading cards. Examine completed auctions, and you'll find roughly another 500 more, many of which are Woodhead jerseys, signed helmets and photos. Sure, many were unsold, but when a guy's got so little memorabilia â€" Tim Tebow for example already appears on 757 cards â€" anything out there is likely to grab interest. Signed jerseys and mini-helmets, for example, have sold for more than $100, while signed photos have sold for $30 and up.

Woodhead hasn't appeared on any football cards since 2008 when SAGE included him in its HIT draft picks product. His certified autograph card there (No. A3) has been as meteoric as the player was this season, going from commons bins to $50. The gold version of that card pushes $60. In all, SAGE made 22 different Woodhead cards â€" a number that includes eight 1/1 printing plates â€" but that's it. And those book prices? They've been topped even recently as fans compete for the few cards that have surfaced. His absolute lone other option? An eTopps card -- not a standard card that would get RC status.

Panini America, one of the two NFL-licensed card manufacturers, confirmed Tuesday night that Woodhead's first NFL card â€"his Rookie Card â€" will appear in 2010 Playoff Contenders, which arrives on Feb. 9.

However, Woodhead's first autograph card is another story. In fact, according to Woodhead's agent, autographed cards aren't very close to a reality at all.

"Oddly enough, there wasn't a whole lot of interest the last time I approached [the card companies],"Â said Chris Gittings, Woodhead's agent based in Helena, Mont. "I do plan on reaching out to both companies again. It's hard for me to believe that they wouldn't have any interest in Danny."Â

It's hard to believe that such a blue-collar player would command too much money to sign autographs, either â€" though this writer didn't press that matter â€" so it's likely that, like most of his career, Woodhead has flown under the radar.

That's tough thing to do these days â€" even if you're 5-foot-7 and on the New England Patriots roster.

Chris Olds is the editor of Beckett Baseball. Have a comment, question or idea? Send an e-mail to him at colds@beckett.com. Follow him on Twitter by clicking here.

snow

Mentor
I have his autographed rookie card, Sage Hit, i opened up a box of collection ofcards at target, I didn't know you weren't supposed to open them, and 2 autographed cards fell out, one was Danny Woodhead, I took them to the register and she said no barcode then they were free. Didn't find out that your not supposed to openup the box sets until later, but they are damn expensive (for cards, 20 dollars, multiple packs, usually the same affletes in each pack, quite a few repeats), and I just wanted to buy a pack.Has A3 on it. Lists his 40 yard dash time as 4.37 and that he compares to Darren Sproles.So far he has proven to be a much better runner than Sproles. When is the last time they rounded down for a player, he is 5'7 and 3/4th inches. Im willing to bet Darren Sproles is a shade under 5'6. Interesting that they haven't made any since, and its worth 50, but I won't be getting rid of it.

The other auto was Tommy Z listed at a 4.48 and compares most to John Lynch...real original, but I would much rathersomeone like John Lynch than someone like Ed Reed.I have actually bought a few packs in the future at 20 dollars, usually white players autographs, Jordy Nelson who is compared to Brandon Marshall, Kerry Meier who is compared to Jordy Nelson, Rob Grownkowski, compares to Zach Miller.The average DWF probably buys it thinking "wow 2 autographed cards" and then gets 2 white guys and is upset. Couldn't be happier.If Nelson is like Marshall, why thehell is he stillbehind Driver or the inconsistent Jones. It still remains to be seenhowMeier will be used, hesbeen compared to Brian Finnernanby ATL fans.Edited by: snow

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Interesting and saddening info. I hope the interest in Danny picks up. I am really sick of writers ripping into Danny's height and making the assumption that he is 5-7. He might not be quite 5-8 and then again he might be 5-8 or taller, but I am almost positive he is over 5-7. There is absolutely no need to do what this writer did without any facts to back up his claim. Just part and parcel of the caste system.

snow

Mentor
Yes, Danny has come out and said that he is 5'7 and 3/4ths inchesin multiple interviews, as well as several other people. I don't know why someone would lie and make up a number like that, most would round up to 5'8, but its about as close to 5'8 you can get and I would consider him 5'8. Dexter McCluster is listed at 5'8 and I have seen him in person, I don't think its even close, probably somewhere like 5'7. I amalmost postive thatother guys like Westbrook and Maurice Jones Drew are a little shorter than listed. Edited by: snow

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I was thinking he was 5-7 3/4, so thanks for reminding me, snow. Yeah, he should be rounded up to 5-8, not rounded down. Just more of the caste system's double standard in action. But no, there's no agenda to see here. Move along...

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
snow said:
I have his autographed rookie card, Sage Hit, i opened up a box of collection of  cards at target,  I didn't know you weren't supposed to open them, and 2 autographed cards fell out, one was Danny Woodhead, I took them to the register and she said no barcode then they were free. Didn't find out that your not supposed to open up the box sets until later, but they are damn expensive (for cards, 20 dollars, multiple packs, usually the same affletes in each pack, quite a few repeats), and I just wanted to buy a pack. 

How do you "not know" you're not supposed to open up stuff at a store??? It's no skin off my back but I think busting things open in the store and taking only part of what you want is generally frowned upon.
smiley36.gif
Maybe I'll try that with a computer, whenever I need a part like the CPU I'll just crack a Dell open and grab the Pentium and take it up to the counter. Hey there's no barcode on it, must be free!!

Westside

Hall of Famer
jaxvid that was quite funny.
smiley36.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
That is hilarious, jaxvid! I'm actually in the market for a CPU.

snow

Mentor
haha, the single pack box was empty, I asked some young employee where to get more, and he said to open up the box and just put the single packs in there. I didn't know the two autographed cards were outside of the single packs.I tried to pay for the two single ones hehe.The woman at the counter was also young, and looked at them, and didn't bother to question them or look them up and just let me keep it. Probably thinking "Danny Woodhead, Tommy Z, never heard of em, probably never will ". I guess the lesson is, don't listen to young employees at chain stores like that. They probably don't know what they are talking about.

It was just meant to be. Had I not done that, some dwf wouldve bought it, hoping for a Keith Rivers or Glenn Dorsey autograph, saw those two and tossed them aside hah.Edited by: snow

jaxvid said:
snow said:
I have his autographed rookie card, Sage Hit, i opened up a box of collection ofcards at target, I didn't know you weren't supposed to open them, and 2 autographed cards fell out, one was Danny Woodhead, I took them to the register and she said no barcode then they were free. Didn't find out that your not supposed to openup the box sets until later, but they are damn expensive (for cards, 20 dollars, multiple packs, usually the same affletes in each pack, quite a few repeats), and I just wanted to buy a pack.

How do you "not know" you're not supposed to open up stuff at a store??? It's no skin off my back but I think busting things open in the store and taking only part of what you want is generally frowned upon.
smiley36.gif
Maybe I'll try that with a computer, whenever I need a part like the CPU I'll just crack a Dell open and grab the Pentium and take it up to the counter. Hey there's no barcode on it, must be free!!

I can't stop laughing and I can't stop re-reading that!!! You clarified it now, Snow, but man...hahaha!

Colonel_Reb said:
Interesting and saddening info. I hope the interest in Danny picks up. I am really sick of writers ripping into Danny's height and making the assumption that he is 5-7. He might not be quite 5-8 and then again he might be 5-8 or taller, but I am almost positive he is over 5-7. There is absolutely no need to do what this writer did without any facts to back up his claim. Just part and parcel of the caste system.

"They" keep making him shrink! He started out 5'9" then 8 then 7...the last Monday night game the Pats played, Mike Tirico said he was 5'6"; by next year he'll be 4'2"! We all know why"they" do this. "They" aretrying to justify the reasons Danny was overlooked, "they" try to pretend he's only good solelybecause he "gets lost behind the line," and "they" try to make him look like some kind of novelty, side-show freak. He is fast, quick, productive, has great hands, can block, but he's also White so, dang it, there must be SOMETHING he can't do--he can't be tall, let's exploit that fact. The agenda is beyond obvious.

snow

Mentor
More proof that Danny was discriminated against because of race and not size

Noel Devine measured in today at 5'7 and 160 pounds. 40 pounds less than Woodhead, yet had no problem getting a d1 scholarship, and is still projected to get drafted.

from Rotoworld:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%">
<T>
<TR>
<TD =alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">West Virginia RB Noel Devine measured just 5-foot-7 and 160 pounds at Monday's weigh-in at the Senior Bowl.

He'd be one of the smallest kickers in the league, if he was a kicker. Devine was known to be very small, but the Mountaineers listed him at 5'8/180. In reality, he's got Trindon Holliday size. Devine is a third-day prospect. </TD></TR></T></TABLE>

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Wow, I knew Devine was small, but 160? That makes me look big.
smiley36.gif
I think Trindon Holliday is listed at 5-5, 166 by the Texans. If his weight is correct, that makes Devine seem fragile by comparison. Danny Woodhead is well built for his height and is able to run with power when needed. He is at his best when he can show off his agility and speed though.

snow said:
More proof that Danny was discriminated against because of race and not size

Noel Devine measured in today at 5'7 and 160 pounds. 40 pounds less than Woodhead, yet had no problem getting a d1 scholarship, and is still projected to get drafted.

from Rotoworld:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%"><T>
<T>
<TR>
<TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" ="alt2">West Virginia RB Noel Devine measured just 5-foot-7 and 160 pounds at Monday's weigh-in at the Senior Bowl.

He'd be one of the smallest kickers in the league, if he was a kicker. Devine was known to be very small, but the Mountaineers listed him at 5'8/180. In reality, he's got Trindon Holliday size. Devine is a third-day prospect. </TD></TR></T></T></TABLE>

Yeah, and lets see if they turn him into a freak show like they did Danny. I already see the negative slant on this one: Pundit A: "Isn't Devine too small for the NFL?" Pundit B: "Well, no, you got guys like Danny Woodhead for instance, who ARE THE SAME SIZE as Noel Devine..." They'll shrink Danny down to his size even though he outweighs Devine by at least 35lbs--watch and see!

If he gets drafted at all and is worked into a backfield rotation, CLEARLY--even to the DWFs possibly--this is more proof of discrimination against Danny Woodhead. As you mentioned, he got a D1 scholarship, so that's Exhibit "A."

I hadn't seen this posted anywhere so sorry if it was, but I thought this would be interesting to look at so we can compare high school kids now and see if they have the same development level that Danny had when he was in high school:

[TUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWSOOL4aMD8[/TUBE]

Westside

Hall of Famer
ES never saw that vid of Danny. It was interesting watching him as a teen.

Tom Iron

Mentor
Electric Slide,

Good video. But if I were the coach of the opposing team, I'd have a player, key on a guy like Woodhead every single play, no matter where the ball goes, hit Woodhead every play by the one player designated. The NY Giants did this with Sam Huff against Jimmy Brown and Brown never did anything against the Giants when Huff played for the Giants.

It's worth a try.

Tom Iron...

snow

Mentor
Tom Iron said:
Electric Slide,

Good video. But if I were the coach of the opposing team, I'd have a player, key on a guy like Woodhead every single play, no matter where the ball goes, hit Woodhead every play by the one player designated. The NY Giants did this with Sam Huff against Jimmy Brown and Brown never did anything against the Giants when Huff played for the Giants.

It's worth a try.

Tom Iron...
Didn't work quite that well against Jim Taylor though! I have some old footage of them going at it after a play and the announcer says "Jim Taylor and Sam Huff exchange pleasantries"

snow said:
Tom Iron said:
Electric Slide, Good video. But if I were the coach of the opposing team, I'd have a player, key on a guy like Woodhead every single play, no matter where the ball goes, hit Woodhead every play by the one player designated. The NY Giants did this with Sam Huff against Jimmy Brown and Brown never did anything against the Giants when Huff played for the Giants. It's worth a try. Tom Iron...
  Didn't work quite that well against Jim Taylor though! I have some old footage of them going at it after a play and the announcer says "Jim Taylor and Sam Huff exchange pleasantries"

From 1958-63, the NY Giants were 9-3-1 against the Cleveland Browns. This includes the 1958 Divisional playoff game in which Jim Brown had a net of 8 yards in 7 carries. In the 3 games the Browns won and the tie, Jim Brown went over 100 yards in each. Brown had 6 100-yards games out of 13 against the Giants during this period, 2 of which the Browns lost in 1958.

Jim Taylor played against Sam Huff and the Giants 3 times, once in the regular season (1961) and two NFL Title games in 1961 and 1962. Taylor had his best game ever, 27-186, in the 1961 regular season game. He went 14-69 in the 1961 championship game and 31-85 and a TD in the 1962 title game. The Packers won each game. I recall seeing each on TV.

The Giants usually beat the Browns, and Sam Huff got a lot of credit, but Jim Brown had some big days against them. I saw them play on TV many times. I still recall watching the final game of the 1961 season that ended in a 7-7 tie, which is all the Giants needed to clinch their division. Brown went 24-102 in that game.
Edited by: sport historian

PhillyBirds

Mentor
Found a good video of Danny with the Patriots. Has a couple of his great runs in there, including the incredible TD ones against the Bills and Colts.

I may be looking too far into this, but doesn't it seem that white players, at least on that Patriots offense, genuinely enjoy playing and interacting with each other when there's a good bit of them on a roster? Pats white linemen are congratulating Danny on most of his runs and they all look like they actually enjoy blocking for him.

Tom Iron

Mentor
PhillyBirds,

I agree. There seems to be more comeraderie amongst the Whites than the blacks. I know the black players don't like Whites much, but I don't think they entirely like or trust their "brothers" either. They seem to be able to turn on each other in the blink of an eye.

Tom Iron...