D2 and D3

rice1817

I am new to this forum, and if it is OK would like to share my thoughts on the caste system, and why it may work out better for the white kids in the long run.

I am a football coach, and have been around the game for a long time. One thing that coaches have in common is that they want to win. I really believe that if a coach thought he could win by stocking his team with 5 foot tall Chinese players, then the rosters would be full of guys named Ming and Woo. So I am not sure that it is a concerted effort by the major colleges to lock out the white player. I think it has more to do with a reluctance to waste a scholarship on a kid who may actually put more emphasis on his studies than a black athlete will, maybe even to the point of quitting the team. I believe that many Acadademic All Americans started their careers as walkons for this very reason.

A lot of people seem to think that if a white player does not get the D1 scholarship, then he is relegated to obscurity at the lower levels of college football, and that a great future has been forfeit.

In my view, things will generally work out much better for these young men than it would have had they gone to a "big time" program.

The lower level schools run programs that allow a player to actually get a meaningful, marketable education as opposed to taking the "jock" courses so in evidence among D1 programs for their athletes. I knew a very talented HS player whose dream it was to play for the Texas A&M Aggies. All went very well on his recruiting visit, until the time came to sit down with the coach, I believe Emory Bellard at the time. He asked my friend "what would you like to study?" "Civil Engineering" was the reply. Bellard said "pick one from this list" and my friend saw things like "parks and recreation" and other such time wasters. "Why can't I study engineering?" "Because our time demands on our players will not permit it" was the answer.

My friend wound up at Carnegie Mellon University, where he had an outstanding playing career and got a 4 year degree in Civil Engineering (in 4 years I might add). He is now a productive member of society, building bridges and infrastructure as a project manager for a major engineering firm. His contributions tomankind are much greater than anyone whose main talent is their ability to catch passes on Sunday afternoon.

The graduation rate at the small colleges is as great as the graduation rate at D1 schools, especially among black athletes, is poor. When you hear a D1 coach complain about "losses to graduation", what he really means is losses due to players using up their eligibility. The athletes take just enough of a course load to stay eligible, and generally major in something less than marketable. Many quit school altogether once their eligibility has expired.

There are roughly 1600 pro-football positions, with maybe a 25% annual turnover rate. The 117 D1 schools (make that 114- gotta discount the Academies whose players probably have no pro aspirations) "graduate" maybe 2700 seniors. Add in the top D1AA and D2 players, and the underclassmen who declare for the draft, and you get about 3000 "applicants" for the 400 pro openings. The vast majority of those eligible will have to find something else to do to earn a living, to get on with their life's work as Chuck Noll used to say. they will soon find out that the fact that they played at Alabam or Texas does not cut a lot of mustard in the private sector job market, and that nobody is going to hand them anything anymore, unless it is at gunpoint. (Ask Maurice Clarett!) The ones who chose to go the D1 route and take the slider classes for the remote shot at pro football are not doing themselves a favor in the long run.

In general, black kids tend to equate their value with their athletic prowess. The best B-baller, the fastest runner, etc is looked up to and respected by their peers. The ones who are serious about their studies are "playing the white man's game". This attitude plays right into the hands of the D1 coach, whose job depends on fielding a winning team.

There are of course exceptions. Some D1 schools do stress academics: Stanford, Rice, Notre Dame. Jim Plunkett is an electrical engineer, Allan Pinkett a civil engineer. It can be done, but only by highly motivated, highly disciplined individuals, and those types tend to gravitate toward the Academies.

So. as part of a viscious cycle, the white kids who want to make something of their lives wind up being left out of the recruiting cycle by the D1 college coaches. As the white D1 population shrinks, so does the pool of white talent available to the pros.

To summarize, don't feel too bad about the local white kid who winds up at Mt. Union or Delaware: chances are he will be doing quite well for himself in 10 years, certainly better than the guys who only went D1 for the shot at the pros and took useless classes just to maintain their eligibility.

guest301

Hall of Famer
Welcome to caste football rice 1817. Excellent first posting. It made alot of sense and you brought up alot of things that I haven't considered all that much before. It's great that the ignored white athlete who goes to MT. Union will get a great education. That doesn't help disarm the caste system though and it has deprived this country of countless white stars that would have made it into the nfl for a long time.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I think the NFL careers of many of these passed over guys make a lot bigger impact on our society than if they become engineers. Its a decent explanation, but it doesn't hold water in the big picture. If what you said is true, then the NFL would be drafting white guys left and right out of the smaller schools, but that ain't happening, and the reason is discrimination against white athletes. No other explanation can exaplin the quick change of football to a black dominated game. Welcome to the board though. Stick around and you may get your eyes opened a little more to the truth.

But what if the white kid wants to play in the NFL?

Nice post, rice.

There are a lot of great opportunities at the small-college level, and there are a lot of great football players, too. The Buffalo Bills went to 4 Super Bowls with teams that were stocked with some small-college "finds" that were overlooked by the rest of the league.

Maybe it's time to utilize that formula again.

SteveB

Mentor
Welcome to the board rice1817. Good try, but your reasoning is like telling a black kid his only future is playing sports, so he shouldn't dream of becoming an astronaut because there is too much competition from white kids. I walked-on as a DB at Texas A&M in the late 1980's and studied Industrial Engineering. I spent as many hours on the practice field, film room, and weight room as any scholarship player. I took 12 hrs in the fall, 15-17 hrs in the spring, and worked internships every summer to pay for school (usually while taking night classes at the local JUCO), so it is possible to get a credible degree while playing football. I was good enough to earn two letters, yet it would have been easier if I had a scholarship, so that I didn't have to work to pay for school.

Schools are not doing anyone any favors by offering a scholarship to a black kid that is not prepared for the academic challenges of a major university. They would be better off giving that scholarship to a kid that is capable of getting a real degree and can be a productive member of society. If Notre Dame can field a winning team with high academic standards, then why can't all of the other universities?Edited by: SteveB

white lightning

Hall of Famer
If Notre Dame can field a winning team with high academic standards, then why can't all of the other universities?

Excellent point.You took the words right out of my mouth.There is no excuse other than stereotypes as to why teams continue to ignore most white players at certain positions.

rice1817

I want to thank all of those who responded to my first posting on this forum. Some of you had some positive feedback for me, and have made me feel welcome. I made some generalizations, and intended no offense. The gentleman from Texas A and M can speak from first hand experience of what it took to play football at the D1 level AND maintain a respectable curriculum.

I would like to add some additional comments and observations, so if members of the forum will bear with me, here goes.

Perhaps it naivety on my part, but I still cannot believe that there is a concerted effort on behalf of major college and pro coaches to disenfranchise the white player. As I said earlier, winning is everything to them, and I believe they want to put the best 11 on the field.

That being said, there are some additional factors influencing the situation which warrant discussion. First and foremost is the fact that schools that take federal money are obligated to do whatever it takes to bring in a quota of minority students or lose the grants. Some years back, Joe Paterno at Penn State was faced with this same situation. His teams were predominantly white, in no small part due to the fact that there is not much in State College to attract inner city blacks to the campus. The standing joke at PSU was that if you saw a black guy, the only question you had for him was "what position do you play"?PSU went on a massive drive to recruit more black students, and Paterno likewise followed suit.Also, remember that affirmative action quotas make it possible for minority students with marginal academic credentials to gain admittance where equally or better qualified white kids are turned away. That is an issue for another forum.

With this in mind, I can very well see a possibility that the coaches and administration in collusion to kill two birds with one stone: they can increase the minority enrollment and keep the federal money rolling in, and it doesn't hurt if at least some of the minorities can dribble a basketball or run with a football.

Now for some football related theories. Those of you who have been around for awhile know that the "feature back" system has only been around for about 20 years, which coincides with the time in which black tailbacks came to dominate the game at the highest levels. The feature back, I-formation-based offenses are based on specialization, the theory being that it is easier to find one back who is a great blocker and another who is a great runner, than to find two who are adept at each. Gone are the days of Czonka and Kiick, Hornung and Taylor, Brown and Osborne, Rocky and Franco, tandem backs who ran and blocked with equal enthusiasm. They have been replaced with "feature" running backs that are seldom if ever called upon to block, and blocking backs that are seldom if ever called upon to run. Kreider carried the ball 3 times all season long for the Steelers!

The colleges who want to lure the blue chippers have been forced to adapt their styles to that of the pro game. Even Nebraska abandoned 40 years of option football due to a perception that they were not keeping up with the modern game. Ignorant alumni, not content to have the winningest program in the country, demanded that Nebraska scrap the ground game and "air it out" like the pros do on Sunday. Obligingly, the new AD fired a great Coach in Frank Solich and hired the NFL West Coast Passing Guru Calahan to put in a pro-style attack. Likewise Alabama, Oklahoma, Florida......the list goes on. All abandoned the great run-first option offenses in favor of pro-style attacks, not because they were more effective, but because their was a perception among the alumni that a successful program is measured not by the number of athletes that you graduate, but by the number who make NFL Rosters! I also know that the recent wave of shotgun based option offenses has the NFL concerned that their free farm system is not properly preparing their future players.

At the small college level, "old fashioned" offenses such as the Wing T, the Veer, the Wishbone are still run effectively. . The old style offenses require all backs to be accomplished at blocking as well as running. The small college coaches and players are under no pressure to do things the NFL way, and are free to run whatever system best suits their personnel. Of course, this discourages NFL scouts who are concerned not only with the quality of competition, but also that these systems do not properly prepare the athletes for the "next level".

As has been pointed out on this forum, the majority of the blue chip white tailbacks are converted to another position, usually Fullback, Linebacker, or maybe Safety. Some may perceive this to be a slap at their ability to run with the football, and that may be so. I see it as a tribute to these guys ability to adapt and function as part of a team. Perhaps the coaches have noticed that these kids readily adapt to their new roles, are willing to sacrifice personal accolade for the good of the team. My experience, at the risk of coming off as racist, is that the black kids tend to lose interest if they are not carrying the ball. This may be the experience of the college coaches as well. By converting the star HS tailback to FB, or TE, or LB, the coaches assure themselves of speed and athleticism at those positions, and will probably not have to worry about grumbling and malingering if they do.

Last but not least, notice that the positions that the white kids are recruited to play (I formation Fullback, Linebacker, O-line, D-line, Safety) are physical positions, requiring a hard nosed player not afraid to mix it up. Cornerback and Wide Receiver, on the other hand, are not necessarily physical positions in today's game. The elimination of the crackback block means that no longer are wideouts routinely called upon to take on a linebacker at chest level, and they can no longer throw at their legs. The typical WR block is a simple stalk block, a basketball like maneuver in which the main object is to "dance" with the defender, interposing his body between the defender and the ball carrier, against similar sized D backs. Likewise, the corners nowadays only have secondary run responsibilities. No need to have the 6-4, 220 pound corner like Mel Blount when your main responsibility will be pass coverage. The corners today, although normally very fast, tend not to be physical and are notoriously poor tacklers. They do not take on ball carriers in the classic manner: they merely throw their bodies at the legs of the runner hoping to take out his pins or trip him up. Anybody that watched the game Sunday saw this happen numerous times.

I think the issue is a complex one, involving a variety of socio-economic factors that cannot be merely attributed to a cabal among the coaches to implement a caste system. The end result though, is the same: a sport that is increasingly dominated by the black athlete.

Thanks for letting me speak my piece. Forgive the length of the posting.

rice1817

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
You can post as much as you need to get your point across in here rice1817!
smiley4.gif
First, I do not think your comment about blacks only being content with handling the ball is racist at all. That term, racist, is very overused and misinterpreted in our society today.

Second, if what you say about the adaptability of the white athlete is true, and they are worthy of a shot at RB, why then don't they get it. If your logic was followed by every college coach, teams would be almost all white. The fact is, that logic isn't followed by coaches because most don't think that way. The ones that do still discriminate against whites at most skill positions.

Third, as far as affirmative action goes, I know of no law that requires college teams to be at least half black. If blacks had actual affirmative action, there would few, if any white players on the field out of school's fear of being sued.

Fourth, the Caste System of which we speak began in the 1960's, not the 1980's. The Caste System took over by the early 80's, when you had only 2 main white running backs, John Riggins and Kevin James. It only appears that white TB's went away at the time the one back system became the standard. They were already gone, with a few exceptions. This is just with running backs. You didn't even mention the CB's and WR's. There have been a mere handfull of white CB's since the 70's and not very many white WR's. This can only be attributed to a concerted effort by owners and coaches to get whites out of the skill positions, as the one back formation had no affect on them.

All you have to do is look at the number of whites who started on NFL teams in 1969 and compare it with the number who started in 1979 to see how much change happened within that decade. It was around 1960 when blacks represented the same percentage of NFL players as in the general population. By 1985, the NFL was majority black. That's a 40+% shift in 25 years, most of it happening between 1970 and 1985. Since then, the NFL has become roughly 70% black, so another 20% shift in 20 years. They whites were forced out of the skill positions and defensive backfields in that first stage. Now the NFL Casteholics are trying to completely purge whites from defenses and make the offensive lines majority black as well. To do this, they are doing a whole lot more than you think to deny whites. You don't have to take my word for it though. Read the accounts from many whites who have spoken out against the discrimination they have faced, or at the least acknowledged it. Edited by: Colonel_Reb

rice1817

You also make some very good points, Colonel Reb. Although I have not checked into the racial distribution in the various eras, you obviously have and I see nothing today that would cause me to dispute your figures.Perhaps my years are starting to blur, and I am confusing decades. I do remember Mark Van Eeghan, Ed Podolak, Marv Hubbard, Czonka, Kiick, Bertelsen, Cappaleti, Steve Owens, Donnie Anderson, Walt Garrison, from the decade of the 70s. Seems like yesterday, not 30 years ago. Granted, some were fullbacks, but in those days of the split backs the FB carried maybe 45% of the rushes, the "Halfback" the other 55%. The Steelers and the Dolphins each had seasons where both backs gained 1000 yards.

Is political correctness forcing the issue? Is there a caste system that players must abide by? There is a lot of circumstantial evidence that suggests yes. Who the power behind the curtain is that is calling the shots is anybody's guess. What is to be gained? I know the black leaders were howling about not enough black coaches in the NFL, with so much of the league being black. NFL teams now must conduct hiring searches which include the token black applicant.Few get hired, which irritates the Jesse Jacksons of the world even more.But being a great player does not necessarily translate into being a great coach. The last Super Bowl coach who had anything resembling a great playing career was Mike Ditka with the 85 Bears.

Good discussion, civil and informative. Good website, too.thanks!

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Political correctness is part of the reason we have such a hard time changing people's minds. People have been programmed to see everything in football the way ESPN and all the other media giants want them too. Considering who owns most of the media, it isn't surprising that whites are constantly put down by announcers and writers. The media plays such a big role in shaping opinion, people buy into it without asking any questions. The few in the media who dared mention the discrimination against whites and the pro-black agenda of the NFL and the media is instantly crucified.

Now that the league is mostly black, yes there is a system that the whites must go by in order to keep their jobs. That's why more current players don't speak up. Some have talked about their experiences in college, while most who have talked about NFL discrimination are those who played in the recent past. If more would speak out, there would be more knowledge about the discrimination that they face from the high school level on up. It begins with what we call slotting. The placing of blacks into RB, WR, and DB type positions because of coaches who have bought into the media driven myth of black athletic superiority at those positions. Even so, many white high schoolers break state and national rushing and receiving records frequently. The real discrimination begins at the college level.

SteveB

Mentor
Good stuff guys! Rice1817, I am not sure at what level you coach, but since you are in the business, you must be aware of what is going on in high school football. I am going to speak only of what I see in Texas, but I'm pretty sure the trend is nationwide. Here, the most dominant 5A (largest class in Texas) teams over the past 10 years are Southlake Carroll, Katy, Smithson Valley, and Lufkin. Three of those four teams are almost completely white. All of those teams run a pro-style or a spread offense and routinely beat the black schools, which many are running a more run-oriented offense. Most of the kids on those teams grew up running the same offense since 7th grade, so the system has a lot to do with their success. Of those kids, usually only the QBs get recruited by an upper tier college.

Here's what I'm getting at. From a college coaching point of view, given the physical attributes of the players are there, wouldn't it make sense to recruit kids that are successful in a similar system run by the big time college programs? Why would you recruit a black RB from an I-back offense and try to teach them how play in a one-back spread offense when there is a talented white RB that has been successfully playing in that formation for 5 years?

Also, you bring up the lack of physical play at the cornerback position and you are seeing that play out with the receivers getting bigger and dominating the smaller CBs. Wouldn't it make sense to recruit some of these big white, fast, physical DBs and let them play CB in college rather than moving them to safety?

Finally, you mentioned that the black kids lose interest if they aren't carrying the ball. If that is the case, why would a coach recruit a player like that? Wouldn't it help team chemistry and winning attitude if you had all of the players willing to do whatever necessary to help the team win? It would seem to make the coaches life a lot easier.

G

This is some real good reading guys...all of you are bringing up real good points.

rice1817

To illustrate the point that Colonel Reb and others are making, I refer you to the following web site.

http://www.johntreed.com/matsdad.html

Coach Reed is from California, and his son was a star HS tailback who was overlooked by the major D1 Schools. He wound up at an Ivy. It is a long article, but about halfway down you will find a section called "Black skin versus white skin in college football" and recounts his son's experiences at the hands of the college recruiters.

Looks like I have opened up an interesting topic, with a lot of well thought out responses.

whiteCB

Master
I have one question for you rice1817: Why did people want Dustin Fox to move from CB to safety? All he did was start 3 years at Ohio State(and on a National champs team), become All-Big Ten, jumped a 40 in vertical at the combine, and run a 4.44 at the combine. Aren't those all characteristics you look for in CBs? There are many reasons to why coaches are reluctant to play whites at RB, WR, and CB. First when coaches recruit or scout players they always try to compare him to a similar player at that same position. Well what happens when you have a white CB is that there aren't any other white CBs to compare him to and it is just human nature to always try and compare people of the same race and not to other races(see Musberger comparing Samardjiza to Prohl). That means that white RBs and CBs are screwed because a coach gets the perception that since there are no comparable players that the player isn't cut out for that position. I'm sorry rice1817 but there is just to much evidence in favor of there actually being a caste system.
What I mean by a "system" is that coaches aren't calling coaches on other teams and saying man I can't wait to screw over some white RB or CB this season. What it means is that there is an unspoken rule among coaches that you just don't play white guys at CB and RB or perhaps WR or S incase on an emergency(see Heath Evans). That my friend is what the caste system is all about.

SteveB

Mentor
Wow, great site rice! Here are some excerpts:

http://www.johntreed.com/matsdad.html

(Note: This is from a former high school coach talking about his son's recruiting experience.)

Central casting
One of the rookie youth coach mistakes I warn against is what I call "central casting." That's where you assign players to positions according to whether they look the part. The typical rookie youth coach assigns the fat kids to line, skinny kids to wide receiver, black kids to corner and tailback, and the All-American-boy type to quarterbackâ€â€when the coaches are not engaging in nepotismâ€â€in which case the coaches' sons pay the glamor positions regardless of what they look like.

College coaches would never make such a dumb mistake, would they? I mean they would get fired, wouldn't they?

Not at Columbia. Ray Teller never gets fired. Athletic director John Reeves' role at Columbia is apparently to make sure Ray Tellier is never held accountable for his record.

"Central casting" would explain why Rashad Biggers was the main running back at Columbia in 2002 instead of my son Dan. In response to one of my questions, Dan said offensive coordinator Richard Skrosky has a "profile" for each offensive position. That is, what kind of player he wants. I thought "profiling" was politically incorrect. Columbia may tolerate decades of coach incompetence, but they don't tolerate one minute of political incorrectness. For running back, Skrosky apparently likes black, burly, runs low to the ground, and hits hard. That would be Rashad.

Dan ain't black. He was on the edges of burly when he was 220. Dan runs low when it is appropriate, namely when he is finishing a run against defenders he cannot elude. And I would say that Dan hits as hard as anyone, but he rarely shows that because it is not tailback job description. Tailbacks are supposed to avoid contact whenever possible when they are carrying the ball.

When they are blocking, emphasis on hard hitting can result in more misses, like swinging for the fences in baseball. Dan's attitude, which he got from me in part, is make sure you make the block first. Worry about how hard you block the guy second. Rich Skrosky is apparently from the smash-mouth school of football where occasionally proving your manhood with a big hit makes up for all the times you missed because you were not under controlâ€â€thereby letting a defender prove his manhood by totalling your ball carrier.

Some may think that if I were the Columbia offensive coordinator, I would just engage in nepotism like the bad youth coaches. I plead not guilty. When he was in Little League, Dan once observed that the only seasons he sometimes sat the bench were when I was his manager. All other yearsâ€â€when I was managing his brother's teamsâ€â€he never left the field. Why? Because I gave equal playing time to all players until the playoffs. Since the playoffs were single elimination, I then did what the other managers had been doing all seasonâ€â€give the most playing time to the best players like Dan.

When he was 10, I was the special teams coach on his youth football team. Initially, I made Dan a free tackler on the kickoff team. Indeed, he held the same job senior year at Columbia, only they called it sprinter. That is one of two guys who run straight at the ball carrier. All other players are lane tacklers who must go straight down the field in a lane. Dan was distressed at age 10 when I removed him from that position and made him a lane tackler. Why? Another kid seemed to be doing better. And that kid was only 8 years old.

That 8-year old was a heavy-set black kid named Kevin Simon. Ten years later, when Kevin was a senior in high school, he was the starting tailback and middle linebacker for De La Salle High School, the top high school team in the nation. They have not lost a game since 1991. They lost none when Kevin was there. That year, Kevin was named San Francisco Examiner Bay Area High School Football Player of the Year. He is now a linebacker at Tennessee on a full-scholarship. Like I said, I plead not guilty to nepotism. On my teams, stats and performance do count. Kevin had better stats than my son, so I promoted him over my son. I told of doing the same thing to Dan in my baseball book when he was 11. He was leadoff hitter all season, but at the end, another kid surpassed him. So I made the other kid leadoff.

Another story about Kevin. At the end of youth football practice one night when I was coaching my other son's team, Dan's coaches came to me excitedly and asked, "Did you see that hit your son made?" "No." (We had been practicing on an adjacent field.) "Did you hear it?" "No. What happened?" Dan had been scrimmaging in practice. He was on offense; Kevin, on defense. Dan's ball carrier broke loose. Kevin had a bead on him in the open field. Dan, who was a blocker, had a bead on Kevin. Dan hit Kevin in a full-speed, head-on collision. Kevin never saw him coming, but had been going at his own usual full speed toward the ball carrier. The two pancaked each otherâ€â€that is, both landed on their backs. The hit was so ferocious that the coaches figured they would need two ambulances. But both players got up and continued to play. For years, the coaches there referred to that incident simply as "The Hit." As in, "That was a heck of a lick, Sean, but not as good as The Hit." No one made up "I was there" tee shirtsâ€â€but almost.

One more Kevin story. Kevin was dumped on me as a minimum-play player. I coached defense and special teams on that youth team. Offense did not want Kevin. He was an overweight 8-year old on a 8-11 year old team. They assumed he was a lousy player because he did not look the part of a good player. Eight-year olds almost never start on an 11-year old team, but I almost overnight recognized that he was really good. In scrimmage, we counted tackle and assists after every play. He always had the most. So I started him the whole season at defensive tackle. At the awards banquet, I said we had the best defensive line in the league because of the example set for our ten-year olds by eight-year old Kevin. At that banquet, I also predicted we would see him in the NFL some day. Prediction still stands.

If Kevin had chosen Columbia as a running back, I would have suggested to Dan that he switch to defense.

Black skin versus white skin in college football
As far as I know, there have been absolutely no racial problems among Columbia football players in the four years Dan has been thereâ€â€or before for all I know. But I think there is a bit of a racial problem of the central casting variety between the coaches and the players.

First, let me discuss the issue of white guys playing skill positions in football in general, then I'll discuss it with regard to Columbia only.

It used to be that coaches thought blacks were not smart enough or leader enough or something enough to play quarterback. That apparently ended in the last 25 years or so.

There still appears to be a notion that blacks can't be head coaches as evidenced by relatively few of them having the job.

But there has arisen another notion in recent years: that white men can't play skill positions, that is, running back, receiver, and defensive back.

He's famous now for his commercials, but when Jason Sehorn was first an NFL player he had a racial problem. When someone asked what he did for a living, he said he was an NFL football player. So far so good. Then they asked what position. When he said, "Cornerback," they laughed in his face. "A white cornerback in the NFL! Sure." He really is a white NFL cornerback. He's the only one, but he is one.

My middle son and I went to the 49ers summer camp one day when we happened to be driving by that town. About half the players wore white jerseys and half wore red. My son asked why most of the black guys were wearing red. I studied the players for a while and figured out that the red jerseys were defensive playersâ€â€like cornerbacks. "I guess they're defense. Probably need more speed on defense and blacks dominate speed sports like the 100-meter dash."

Frequently, when my wife mentions that her son plays college football, men ask, "What position?" When she says, "tailback," they laugh and say, "A white college tailback?"

Bruce Rollinson is the coach of top-rated Mater Dei High School in the Los Angeles area. He frequently gets complaints from the fathers of white players when he assigns them to skill positions like cornerback. The complaint? "That's an all-black position at the college level. Play my son at a position where he has a chance to play in college."

One of Dan's teammates went to a predominantly black high school. Their school colors included black and like most of his high school teammates, he wore black leotards in games. This receiver also wore gloves in games. College recruiters first learn of a player from looking at game videotapes. One Division I-A recruiter liked this receiver on video. He had a high school counselor get him out of class to talk to him. The moment he laid eyes on the player out of uniform, he just said, "Thanks anyway." Obviously, he had thought the player was black on video. The moment he learned he was white, he lost all interest in him. The player was astounded that the coach felt no obligation to hide it.

White tailbacks at Columbia
When Columbia flew Dan to Columbia for his official visit, he was introduced to an upperclass player who asked him what position he played. When Dan said, "Tailback," the player asked, "Aren't you a little white for that?"

After he arrived at Columbia and started practicing with the team, a white upperclass teammate was absolutely ecstatic that Dan was a legitimate tailback. He regarded Dan as some sort of Great White Hope at that position. Until Dan arrived, he had abandoned all hope that one of his race could be a college tailback.

Dan called me his first night in summer camp freshman year. He told me he was fourth-string tailback and that he had a tailback classmate. He also informed me that he was considered by the coaching staff to be distinctly inferior to the tailback classmate. "What did you or he do to rank you behind him so fast," I asked. "Nothing," Dan replied. "They apparently decided he was better before we got here." The classmate was black. There were five tailbacks. Dan was the only white one. He ranked last among the recruited tailbacks. He was only ranked ahead of Kwam Aidoo, the walk-on (unrecruited) tailback.

Dan continued to rank behind that classmate all through the 1999 season. At the J.V. games, the black classmate would always get the first series and the most series. The black freshman tailback made the traveling team of the varsity and played in one game, scoring a touchdown as a freshman. There never really was a moment when the coaches seemed to even consider that Dan might be better than the black classmate. I suggested to Dan that he consider transferring to Pomona or one of the other Division III schools that wanted him. "No," he said, "I'll show the Columbia coaches what I can do in spring football."

He was right. Shortly after spring football began, Dan was promoted above his black tailback teammate. The need for that change was so stark that the running backs coach, a black, former running back himself, apologized to Dan for his having been ranked behind the black freshman previously. The black classmate tried hard to win his position back during the 2000 season, but could not do so. He later quit the team. I give the coaches credit for correcting the mistake eventually, but I do not appreciate it being made to begin with or that it took almost a year to see past the skin colors of the two players in question.

This racism was not limited to white coaches. At some point, the black strength coach spoke to all the running backs. He addressed each individually. When he finished, he had totally ignored Dan. Dan's black classmate asked, "Do you think [his ignoring you] was racist?" To be fair, that strength coach subsequently seemed to become a fan of Dan's playing as time went on and he saw what Dan could do. But, with that coach, Dan appeared to suffer initially from the stereotype that a white guy could not be a legitimate tailback at the college level.

Interestingly, Dan's black teammates seemed to have no problem with the concept of a white tailback. At one point, they gave him the name "white chocolate," mocking the stereotype. Kirby Mack, a black upperclassman, transferred from Virginia where he was a walk-on tailback. He wanted to play the position at lower-level Columbia and was disappointed when he was put at fullback. He ended up a very successful linebacker and occasional fullback. At one point, he told Dan that he was initially bugged at not being able to play tailback while Dan was allowed to do so, but admitted, "You've got better feet than I do." [meaning Dan was more agileâ€â€better able to cut and make defenders miss]

No doubt, the Columbia coaches will point to the many whites they have had at running back and the many blacks they have not put there to refute this. But the problem is subtle. When the players are close in abilityâ€â€as with Dan and Rashadâ€â€black wins at tailback (and probably at cornerback, too) with coaches who are slightly racist and who succumb to the central casting approach to filling out the depth chart (list of positions and strings).

If Rashad were named Raymond and had white skin, but had the exact same athletic characteristics, he almost certainly would have been put at fullback. If Dan had been black and named Dashwon, he probably would have been rated ahead of Rashad at tailback because his vision and "feet" would suddenly have become visible to the coaches who expect such things from black tailbacks, but not white ones.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Just more evidence of the Caste System in action. It exists, make no mistake about it, but Caste Football is here to expose it to the world and ultimately see it's demise! Every popen-minded erson who reads stories like this will eventually come to see how whites are discriminated against. Whether they actually do anything about it is another matter, but like they say, "now you know, and knowing is half the battle."

robcat

Guru
I like the way the former football coach deals with race on his site. He writes about it matter of factly rather that apologetically or with PC guilt. There has to be a lot more people out there like his son who have been screwed out of fair opportunities on the football field and know why it happend.