Cutting phase

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Ive been weightlifting for 6 months right now. I have made huge gains in strength and muscle size. However I do have some excess fat. I need to go on a cutting phase. How long should it last? Will I burn my muscles away? What exactly should I be eating? Any help would be appreciated.

Sean

Mentor
Hey whiteathlete, good to hear about your progress. I'm sure since this replyt is pretty late that you've already made some good progress in your cutting phase. If you still need any help though, there are a few things to remember.

Don't switch from lifting to running like a lot of people, because you will burn off all your muscle. Keep lifting. There are many types of cardio, fast, slow, HIT, HIIT, etc.

Food is the main thing. Try and lessen the carbs you take in. DO NOT eliminate them as some people say. Fibrous vegetables and greens can be eaten at any point, but try to take the majority of your carbs for breakfast, and post workout.

The best advice would be to go to www.bodybuilding.com There is a wealth of info there, great articles etc. Just search for what your interested in and it will probably bring up a lot of cool info.

Let me know how your progress is going. I'm working on my Exercise Science major, as well as being a big time lifting fanatic, so this is my field of interest
smiley32.gif

Good luck.

Observer

Mentor
Run an all-out sprint for 300-400 meters before eating in the morning. Rest for 15 seconds and run back with whatever energies that remain. 3 minutes and your done for the day. Not sure why, but this seems to trim excess fat without wasting away the muscle. But the sprint (or other full-body activity) has to be at maximal effort.

Maybe finish it up by grabbing on to the back of a car and trying your best to lift it for 30 seconds.

There is some science behind this --- see Phil Campbell's Sprintx8 and another study (can't remember if it was Australian or Scottish) --- that show the metabolic and hormonal effects of short, maximal effort activities.

Now, realistically you can't do this every morning because you'll tear your hamstrings and rupture your achilles, and maybe have a stroke. So you'll have to mix it up a bit. For starters, purchase a couple sets of low-weight dumbbells and run with these when the legs need a bit of a rest. Some days have a heavier dumbbell in one hand and a lighter in the other. The arms will work hard, as will the entire body, but the coordination will be thrown off just enough to protect the legs from working hard enough to get hurt.

Also, maybe the quickest, safest way to warm up the hamstrings and achilles are "unfinished" hanging cleans with the front of the foot on a small block of wood. Stand up holding a weight that would be difficult to clean, get the toes on the 2x4 block and then try to "jump" with it, pulling it up as high as you can, but not really trying to get it up to the shoulder resting position of a clean. Edited by: Observer

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Observer do you lift? You seem very educated on the subject. My main mistake so far has been not doing legs. Many of my friends don't do legs as well. I just never felt the need. I know that I should start doing them immediately.

whiteathlete33 said:
Observer do you lift? You seem very educated on the subject. My main mistake so far has been not doing legs. Many of my friends don't do legs as well. I just never felt the need. I know that I should start doing them immediately.

Oh man, not doing legs? BIG MISTAKE bro. Three words for you: BODILY GROWTH HORMONE. You're legs are the biggest muscles in your body, and when you neglect trianing them, you're just hurting your growth potential. A good deal of growth hormone is released from your brain throughout your body when you train your muscles. This natural hormone helps your body grow. By not doing legs, you are actually limiting growth potential for the rest of your body. So, start squatting big boy. Its going to hurt at first and you're going to hate it, but it pays off.

I've been lifting for about 12 years, I know my sh*t. I'm in the middle of a strength/power phase right now. Here's what my routine looks like. I wouldn't advise you to go with such low reps, but the heavy weight is a sure-fire way to become much stronger. Follow my routine if you want, but be sure to use weights that you are comfortable with. Go with 6 to 8 clean reps per set at first, instead of 5 or 6. Then when you get the feel for it, you can go heavier if you want. Strict form. No cheating!
smiley36.gif

Monday- Chest/Traps/biceps

Incline barbell press- 3 sets of 5 reps
Flat dumbbell press- 4 sets of 5 reps
Incline dumbbell press- 3 sets of 6 reps

Barbell upright rows- 3 sets of 6 reps
Dumbbell shrugs- 3 sets of 6 reps

Standing barbell curls- 3 sets of 6 reps
Dumbbell hammer curls- 3 sets of 6 reps

Wedensday- Legs/Abs

Squats- 5 sets of 5 reps.
Leg extensions- 3 sets of 6 reps.
Stifflegged deadlifts- 4 sets of 5 reps.
Leg curls- 4 sets of 6 reps

Decline crunches- 3 sets of 8 reps (weighted)
Lying leg raises- to failure.

Seated calf raises- 4 sets of 6 reps
Donkey calf raises- 4 sets of 6 reps

Friday- Shoulders/back/triceps

Standing barbell push-press(w/leg-drive)-3 sets of 6 reps
Seated dumbbell press- 4 sets of 6 reps

Wide grip pulldowns- 3 sets of 6 reps
Bent over barbell rows- 3 sets of 6 reps
Bent over dumbbell rows- 3 sets of 6 reps

Close grip bench press- 3 sets of 5 reps
Lying barbell triceps extension- 3 sets of 6 reps
V-bar pressdowns- 4 sets of 6 reps

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Personally I like to do biceps, back, and forearms on the same the.I do abs and obliques together along with some low intensity cardio. Then I do shoulder, chest, and triceps. I know about legs releasing more testosterone because they are the biggest muscles. I have good results already and I've only been lifting for 9 months. My reps are always in the 6 to 8 rep range. This is the best range for building size and strength.

whiteathlete33 said:
Personally I like to do biceps, back, and forearms on the same the.I do abs and obliques together along with some low intensity cardio. Then I do shoulder, chest, and triceps. I know about legs releasing more testosterone because they are the biggest muscles. I have good results already and I've only been lifting for 9 months. My reps are always in the 6 to 8 rep range. This is the best range for building size and strength.

I'm going a little heavier right now to try and shock my muscles. I love training heavy, there is a lot less lactic acid build-up from the lower reps, so you leave the gym feeling strong, and not burned out like after lighter to mid-rep workout.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
I've been told by many trainers and also read that the 6 to 8 rep range is best. Most body parts can be done with that range. Chest, Back, biceps, shoulders, and triceps. I obviously do forearms, obliques, and abs with higher reps.