CoCo Vandeweghe - Future Tennis Star?

j41181

Master
Ever heard of her? She is the niece of former 80's NBA star Kiki Vandeweghe.

She was born in 1991, and is 6'0 tall. Unlike the Williams Sisters, she is white, BLONDE, and beautiful. While I'm not making any big thing or hype about her, she does have the potential. She has so far only played in one Grand Slam (2008 US Open), and not much has been heard from her since, which is good (I hate media hypes and attentions).

My opinion, let her work on her game, and let's just see how things work out for her in the near future. Best of luck to her.

Quiet Speed

Mentor
I remember seeing her play at the US open. She played no. 2 seed Jelena Jankovic in the main stadium, I believe it was a night match. For a sixteen year old and being on such a big stage she done ok. The second set got away from her, but she did not come out overwhelmed and deliver a clunker by any means.

j41181

Master
She's also quite a looker!
smiley17.gif

b_0907_022_coco.jpg

Edited by: j41181

guest301

Hall of Famer
KiKi and CoCo, somebody must have been on something when those two were named. That being said, Kiki was a pretty good NBA small forward with one of the quickest first steps you can possibly have and I hope his daughter CoCo does well in her tennis career.

Quiet Speed

Mentor
I watched Vandeweghe play Ana Ivanovic last night at the Southern California Open. You talk about someone who has underachieved. She’s twenty-one now with a world ranking of 199. It’s a shame because she has the makings of a really good player. I was surprised at some of her zinging winners. I didn’t find her shots awkward, and her serve looked good.

The problem last night was her lack of patience which led to too many loose shots and unforced errors. I assume this is her career in a nutshell. I liked to see her reach her full potential with better conditioning (weight loss) and improved focus. One thing for sure, if she decides to unload on a shot she can hurt you.

She lost to Ivanovic 6-7, 3-6.

Matra2

Master
I've only seen her play once and I wasn't impressed. Of the up and coming American female players the two best prospects - Sloane Stephens and Jamie Hampton - are non-white.