Christophe Lemaitre "White Lightning" 9.92 and 19.80!

Status
Not open for further replies.

elispeedster

Mentor
6.59 is not good. If he cant get to 6.50 - 6.53, he wont run sub 9.9. Powell, Carter, Clarke all have hit 6.50 or less. I know its early, but he should have gotten a bit faster naturally - getting stronger etc. He should be running at this early stage at his personal best (6.55) or less.

Vicaut improved so much in his only 60 meter race. Christophe needs to hit the weights harder. His coach has molded a great sprinter, but I dont think he knows how to take him to the next level, and it has nothing to do with PED's. I think his coach trains in the old ways. He needs modern tougher type of training. Weighted Hills, stability cross training with kettlebells etc. This will improve his start and power generation in the early part of a race.

Lets hope at the French championships he can prove us wrong. If he hits 6.53, then I expect fast 100 meter times, possibly 9.88

Izwal

Guru
http://www.ouest-france.fr/sport/une_sport_detail_-Salle.-6-59-sur-le-60-m-pour-Lemaitre-a-Val-de-Reuil_3638-2046107_actu.Htm

Approximative translation:
The champion of Europe Christophe Lemaitre realized 6 sec 59/100, winning the 60 metres from the meeting of Athletics of Val-de-Reuil before the Nigerian Peter Emelieze (6.60), Saturday at his 2nd release from winter in the room. "I am not satisfied with the time. I expected better than Liévin" (6.57, last Tuesday). "There are still some + tips + missing", said the Savoyard. "Already I was excited after my time in series". (6.69) "I wanted to make a big performance but my support dropped and I collapsed", said the double the 2011 world outdoor medallist. Now, Lemaitre, 21 years old, has one more opportunity this winter at the France Championships next week end at Aubière (Puy-de-Dôme), to improve his personal best over 60 metres from 2010.

ZELLGADISS

Guru
elispeedster but is that i dont think that Lemaitre can get sub 9.9 this year. I see it easier the next year.

And Vicaut in my opinion had a lot of luck with his 6.53 with 0.103 reaction time.
He tried same and false started.
Is almost impossible to train for to get perfect time 0.100 so the logical is that your time reaccion is 0.120-0.140 with training.
So 6.53 for Vicaut for me is not real...

user-offline.png

greyghost

Mentor
indoors

, CL can sprint sub 9.90, without going 6.50 , there are 5 to 7 phases in 100m . in the 60 there are 3!, somebody like CL is still maintaining speed through 60m to 70 , as his acceleration phase lasts longer , because of his lack of full proficiency out of the blocks . think about it the 60 is as different to the 100 as the 100 is to the 200,reaction time, phases ,distance etc! including top speed :biggrin: maintenance

ZELLGADISS

Guru
Well , it is very very hard that Lemaitre can get sub 9.9 if in that race at 60m he can not get sub 6.5.
His last 40m are very good and in his 9.98 +1.3 in 2010 he made 3.43 and in his 9.92 +2.0 he made 3.42.
Really in his final part he will improve very few.
His first part of race is where he can to improve so much.
So he need get sub 6.5 at 60m in outdoor for get sub 9.9.
In my opinion he will get it the next year ;)

trackster

Mentor
Christophe said he was very disappointed, as he should be. It's a little scary to see him still running 6.69 and 6.59 now that it's not a rustbuster anymore. I, too, expected better times based simply on physical maturity and experience. His coach has said Christophe MUST get below 6.50, and he's right. Anything above that, and Christophe simply can't expect to compete for a medal in the 100. He's not running in the same league as the Jamaicans and will need to switch to his stronger event, the 200. Next week will be a huge test, and I suspect it will probably determine which event he runs in London.

elispeedster

Mentor
Well , it is very very hard that Lemaitre can get sub 9.9 if in that race at 60m he can not get sub 6.5.
His last 40m are very good and in his 9.98 +1.3 in 2010 he made 3.43 and in his 9.92 +2.0 he made 3.42.
Really in his final part he will improve very few.
His first part of race is where he can to improve so much.
So he need get sub 6.5 at 60m in outdoor for get sub 9.9.
In my opinion he will get it the next year ;)

Correct. It is much easier to increase and improve the 1st 10 - 50 meters, then the last. the beginning of the race is more power/speed than pure speed. Lemaitre has the natural pure speed as good as anyone els, but severely lacks the power speed. He needs to spend much, much more time developing a higher level of strength/power. If he can do that, I see no reason why he could not hit 9.80 or even down to 9.77 in the 100 and easily a 19.5 in the 200.

From what I gather from interviews, his coach and lemaitre keep talking about improving technique. His technique at this stage is very good and improvement wont be as drastic that is necessary, and judging by his body, he has not changed as far as musculature; and it is confirmed he is not a fan of heavy weights, nor very strong.

A new coaching strategy needs to be made. Lemaitre would do better with Guy Anaton who trains Vicaut and also has more experience with Olympic level Athletes. Caraz is a good coach, but a club coach, not Olympic level quality, imho.

dr.riders

I don't know if it's so important to run an indoor 60m under 6"50. Obikwelu, a great and regular athlete, has a 9"86 in 100m (2004). But in 60m (indoor) he has only run in 6"53 in 2011, in 6"54 in 2005 and in 6"56 in 2004. I think that Lemaitre is better than Obikwelu. Lemaitre has an incredible regularity. The last outdoor season he ran the majority of his 100m with a cleaned by wind effect time of 10"00. World championship apart...
Nobody have a similar average. Bolt, Gay, Powell and Blake apart. But i'm very suspicious about these athletes.
When you see the records in 60m you can see that they are all confined in '90 and early 2000. And if somebody runs under 6"50 could be very suspicious. Rodgers is only one example.
Ok, only few of the best jamaicans run the indoor 60m. It isn't so strange if you think about the Jamaican climate.
But in the past the attention was focused on the first part of a 100m (and 60m). And the power. Now, for me, it isn't so important.
It's incredible that we don't see Lemaitre running regularly under 10"00 with no wind.
Every year we see many athletes running under 10"00. But the majority have a jump: before they don't run better than 10"10 or 10"15 (with some incredible examples that have 10"20 or worst); after they run under 9"90, but only one or two times in all their career!?!?! What it means? It's so obvious.
And for me this is the only problem: drug, ped or what you want to call it.
However, it is true that Lemaitre should train to increase his muscle mass.
But without PED he will never run under 9"80.

Sorry for my bad english

ZELLGADISS

Guru
dr.riders when Obikwelu got 9.86 his time at 60m was 6.44 with wind +0.6.
Lemaitre has to get 100% sub 6.5 at 60m in outdoor in that race for get sub 9.9. It is sure :smiley:

dr.riders

Jacknyc, yes, I was me when i was 17 years old. 20 years ago...
ZELLGADISS: ok, i talk only about indoor. However, for me Lemaitre is already capable of running under 10 seconds (without wind). For the rest I agree with you. Indeed, to be more consistent he has to strengthen his muscles and so he can run with regularity under 6 "50. But I think that this is a thought shared by many in this forum.
We hope

LoLy

Guru
He ran 6.55 two years ago. So even if he doesn't like weight lifting, he had to take some strenght as he grew up and develop naturally. So it would be very surprising if he could not acheive to lower his PB. But it is also true that if he don't train more on strenght, he might start to stagnate this year.

ZELLGADISS

Guru
Ohh 6.59 then finally? :(
Normal time, is not very bad, but only "normal time" for him, he is an easy sub 6.6 but he should to be around 6.50-6.55 for to improve his 100 m :(

trackster

Mentor
Yuck. He's not even coming close to improving his times from previous years. And he has, in fact, been lifting weights and has even talked about being stronger in interviews, so there's no need for everyone to insist that he needs to do more squats or whatever. Weight lifting and plyometrics are not a magic cure-all, guys. Otherwise, every would-be bodybuilder in the gym would be a speedster.

Let's face it: He's a naturally lean runner who flies once he gets to top speed, but his drive phase hasn't shown the slightest improvement in the past three years. We've talked about it ad infinitum, but it's not getting any better. He's talented enough to go sub-10, but to compete at the highest level in the short sprints would require a heavy regimen of Jamaica Juice (Victor Conte has been tweeting on the Jamaican cheating lately, btw). As good as he is at the 100, and he is very good, maybe the best NATURAL runner out there, the 200 has always been his better event. He's a born 200 man, plain and simple. I predict he and his coach (who insisted that Christophe HAD to go into the 6.4's this indoor season) will finally sit down and make the hard choice to specialize in the 200 for the Olympics.

If he does that, it will be a good choice. If Christophe concentrates on the speed endurance side, not even the Juicin Jamaicans will defeat him in the deuce.

albinosprint

Mentor
Well, for atall sprinter he is putting up good times. 6.5s really is great for someone ofhis height. he might only have in him a 6.45+ at best. the sad part is wecompare him to tall juiced Jamaicans and think he is not doing so great when inreality he is. you send him back in time to the early 90's and his is in medal contention.It’s the advancement in PEDs that have changed the dynamics so much that I reallyfeel bad for Lemaitre.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
It could be nerves too. Although he is experienced now, you have to be perfect in the 60 to run those type of times. His drive phase is the weak link. He only runs fast 60 times when he nails the start. His drive phase needs help. Strength is part of the problem. I have always thought that his feet are too close together to generate the power needed for an explosive start. Widen his stance a little as he is driving. Look at some of his video clips and tell me what you guys think? Regardless, he won and is indoor champion again. I'm very proud of him and it's hard to give a legend like Christophe too much criticism as he is still only 21 years of age.

elispeedster

Mentor
6.59 is not good. At this stage he should be at 6.52 - 6.54. I dont know what could be wrong. Possibly he lacks full body functional strength and stability? I just hope he is not suffering the curse of Shirvington and Nagel.

freddie

Guru
I have not seen a video of CL this year but last year at the "set" command his head always moved backwards. This, IMO, is incorrect; none of the other elites do this. I used to coach moving the head and shoulders forward with a heavy load on the arms. So I too am worried about his coach (also with his flailing left arm) but he was the one who got CL to 9.92 not any of us.

As I've said before, a lot of people here are being waaaaay to critical about every race of his. True, he hasn't reached his personal best of 6.55, but does that mean he is suffering some sort of "curse" or becoming stagnant? No! He is 21 years old and he is still growing into an adult. He is going to have some ups and downs, bumps in the road and some days where he is just off. He is gaining valuable experience and he will get stronger through the next few years. Let's just relax, sit back and enjoy watching him run!

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Hey, we all want Christophe to do well.
He is the greatest white sprinter in the world and we just want him to get better.
We all know he has great closing speed, and he needs it because he is always behind at 40m.
That's the frustration you are hearing here, because he is not improving the beginning part of his race. And this is the part of his race that really needs improving.
His times indicate that improvement is not happening.
It's reminiscent of Craig Pickering who was a terrible starter, and over the years never improved his start (nor improved his closing speed.)

I'm sure Christophe is just as disappointed about that as we are, but we all wish him well.

Status
Not open for further replies.