Caste Free WR Draft Projections

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
You make some good points, but I just like Perretta better from the game action I have seen of him. Perretta REALLY separates out of his breaks and I think he's more agile than Morris. Morris is no doubt an athletic prospect, but Perretta appears to be a freak.

I think the main issue was that Texas Tech and Graham Harrell had more faith in Morris than Kellen Moore had in Perretta. Moore also threw for significantly less attempts and yards and isn't as good a QB as Harrell. Morris also had the advantage of having Michael Crabtree to open things up for him underneath.

Morris's noticeable advantage is that he looks to be Extremely tough, but I think Perretta is also more versatile in that he could play split-end as well as Slot and run the ball as well. Last year was Perretta's first serious game action, so he has lots of upside and I think he was just really starting to catch his grove late last year.Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

RBNY123

perretta did not have as reliable or talented a qb as morris, and like tough j said perretta is much more reliable and he is good running ball, which could make him a very interesting and relatively cheap prospect

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
It really may be what style you prefer. You know you have a great chance of getting a solid slot target in Morris so he's lower risk, but he doesn't have nearly as much upside. Morris is also a guy who will take a crushing hit and hold onto the ball.

Perretta just seems like he has a chance to be VERY good to me if he develops to potential. He is raw right now no doubt, but has great tools and looked like he was figuring it out last year. Morris looks like he could become a solid 3rd WR in the NFL, but I think that's what he tops out at. I don't see Morris becoming as high an impact player as Welker for a small player, but Perretta BCS could.

dwid

Hall of Famer
yeah i think thats what it boils down to. I prefer the guys that are low risk and look good on tape, as long as they have decent measurables (the reason why i never did a Ross Lane video) and i think you tend to like the guys with the better upside.

usually the guys with the huge upside never live up to it BUT thats usually the non-white athletes and judging from what youve said about Vinny P he was in a unique situation, kind of like Eric Peterman and that weird offense.

I wish the Boise State games would hurry up download. That hl video it was hard for me to judge because some of its at a weird angle. I like having the normal game angle in higher quality. I wish the youtube videos i upload would stay in the same quality that i have them in on my computer.

Yeah thats one aspect i like about Morris, is that hes tough. You have me worried about Vinny's toughness. Is he tough? Id imagine he is, but now you have me curious.

Thats one thing White receivers have to have because they will probably get hit alot harder than your average black receiver and more cheap shots taken on them. Welker even had a concussion last season and hes tough as nails, and ive read that Vinny has already had one in college, i dont know if it was from a cheap shot or not.

and nobody even knew Welker would have the high impact that hes had in the pros. His measurables werent impressive out of college, but he did have better production than Morris. I still see Morris becoming pretty close if he gets in the right situation.

what is Perretta BCS?Edited by: dwid

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Perretta is tough. i recall the announcers during some of the Boise State games repeatedly talking about how he was playing injured.

i think he'd broken hishand, or something ... but i'm not certain.

DWFan

Mentor
ToughJ.Riggins said:
I think you may have misunderstood, I only think 3 white WRs will get drafted this year with the caste system (Collie, Hartline and Means), but in a fair world around 13 would get drafted. There are lots of talented guys. I meant who "I think" should get drafted. I think next year will be even better though. I'm expecting more than 5 white WRs to get drafted next year. Eric Decker is a beast and may be the best WR overall next year and Shipley may be #2 on my ranking list next year!

Gotcha, sorry for the misunderstanding.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
dwid said:
yeah i think thats what it boils down to. I prefer the guys that are low risk and look good on tape, as long as they have decent measurables (the reason why i never did a Ross Lane video) and i think you tend to like the guys with the better upside.

usually the guys with the huge upside never live up to it BUT thats usually the non-white athletes and judging from what youve said about Vinny P he was in a unique situation, kind of like Eric Peterman and that weird offense.

I wish the Boise State games would hurry up download. That hl video it was hard for me to judge because some of its at a weird angle. I like having the normal game angle in higher quality. I wish the youtube videos i upload would stay in the same quality that i have them in on my computer.

Yeah thats one aspect i like about Morris, is that hes tough. You have me worried about Vinny's toughness. Is he tough? Id imagine he is, but now you have me curious.

Thats one thing White receivers have to have because they will probably get hit alot harder than your average black receiver and more cheap shots taken on them. Welker even had a concussion last season and hes tough as nails, and ive read that Vinny has already had one in college, i dont know if it was from a cheap shot or not.

and nobody even knew Welker would have the high impact that hes had in the pros. His measurables werent impressive out of college, but he did have better production than Morris. I still see Morris becoming pretty close if he gets in the right situation.

what is Perretta BCS?

BCS meant best case scenario. Yeah Perretta is tough, but Morris really reminds me of Welker for his tendency to make the dangerous catch going across the middle. Welker only ran a 4.61/4.65 40 at his Pro Day at 5'9, but if I recall he can run a 1.48 10 yard dash (McFadden ran a 1.5 at the combine). I've read Wes has run sub 4 second short shuttles multiple times (his official Pro Day SS time was 4.01). He also has a phenomenal PB in the L-Drill, but I can't remember what it was off hand. Welker literally loses ZERO speed when making a cut and I have read he was a brilliant RB in H.S. He could have continued to play RB up to and including in the NFL. He actually reminds me of Brian Westbrook as a WR.

Welker has the quickest first step you can possibly have. That is why Welker is perfect in the slot for short routes. His top-end speed isn't too impressive, but he is an absolute stud in everything else. I can see how the NFL may have doubted him a bit at his size and 40 time, but they should have considered the complete picture (if he was black I am willing to bet the farm he would have been a mid to late round pick with his production and game film from TT at the worst instead of going undrafted) and it was absolute garbage that he didn't get a scholarship until the very last second at Texas Tech. He was originally listed as a walk-on until one of the black recruits didn't come through.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
dwid said:
I think more than 3 will be drafted, maybe 1 or 2 suprise guys kind of like how Brett Swain got drafted last year in the 7th. Probably someone like Nate Swift or Eric Peterman. Either that or someone from a smaller school.

If there are only 4 white WRs drafted I would probably root that it will be Collie, Hartline, Means and Peterman. Only 2 white WRs were drafted last year and both were by the Packers- Nelson (2nd rd.) and Swain (7th rd.), so that would actually be an improvement.

Last year, I was disgusted that Blythe wasn't drafted (I projected the guy as a value pick at the top of the third round). Samuel Giguerre (Canadian), Weston Dressler (only 5'7), Danny Amendola (4.64 40) and Luke Swan (hamstring injury) were all sleeper picks for one reason or another that should have been snatched up in the mid rounds.

We were proven correct of Dressler as a sleeper by his dominance in the CFL which Draft Daddy talked about, I wasn't surprised at all. Dressler has run a sub 4.4 40 yard dash before. I believe he also ran track at North Dakota State and ran a 10.5 100 meter, but most importantly is that he really gets separation while running his routes. I actually forget the other white WR names from last year already.
smiley19.gif
Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Found an old gem of a thread on Wes Welker in a San Diego forum that showed how well Wes did for San Diego before being inexplicably cut, Nick Saban wanted to do the same to him in Miami. A poster brought up last year "Damn why did we cut him?" Then a "moderator" locked up the thread immediately.

I wonder if this "moderator" was afraid of the logical explanation arising about Wes being cut "b/c he was a white WR and San Diego already had a small white WR in Tim Dwight". The Chargers were clearly over the limit and didn't want to shake things up by having two short white stud WRs on the team. It might cause cynicism from the other black WRs on the team and DWFs. This "moderator" locked the thread to prevent any questions of injustice being brought up to protect the Chargers organization. Now the Chargers are screwing Jacob Hester, same old, same old.

Damn this makes me angry that no one is smart enough to see the truth. At least Wes has finally officially made it past this BS!

http://forums.chargers.com/showthread.php?t=14352&page=4Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

dwid

Hall of Famer
Yeah i was pumped up when the Saints picked up Blythe in FA, although upset he didnt get drafted.

Once again Payton let me down and got rid of another qood White receiver. (although i think this has more to do with the owner)

He looked great in training camp, better than Adrian Arrington or Robert Meachem(1st rounder), definetly better than Skylar Green who we kept around on the practice squad for a while and got to have more playing time in the preseason games.

Blythe had two passes thrown his way by the 3rd string quarterback in one preseason game, thats all he had to show himself to a live audience. One that was on the ground long before it was close to him and the other one he caught fine. (the announcers said about the ground ball "you gotta catch those, its just unacceptable" While devery and meachem drop passes all the time that go right to them and nothing is said.

I wish he would have at least gotten reps with Mark Brunell on the second string team, he wouldve had some decent throws to him. Tyler Palko was okay but during game time he gets too nervous, fumbling snaps and messing up on throws (which is why hes not on the team)Edited by: dwid

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I get angry every time I think about all the talented white receivers who have received zero opportunities with the Saints -- Blythe, Aaron Hosack, Mike Hass, and Chase Lyman being the most notable. All four should have received ample chances to become NFL starters. Signing a player and dumping without giving him a chance, especially if he's white, gives him a reputation that's almost impossible to shake.

dwid

Hall of Famer
yeah, unfortunately i was living in Atlanta because of Katrina and never got to see Mike Hass personally in training camp but i heard he looked really good, from a few people, but the majority of the dwfs said he was "too slow" and only a training camp warrior whose talent wouldnt translate to the actual games.

But i was able to make it to see Blythe and he looked like he could be an NFL starter, like I said, he was definetly better than Meachem and Arrington. If we had kept him, he could have filled in for Colston when he had the thumb injury.

It was like 95 degrees out there in Jackson, MS, probably about 80 percent humidity. Felt like 100 degrees. Most of the affletes looked gassed and unconditioned in that type of weather. I thought they were able to handle conditions like that better? Didnt seem to phase Blythe.

He ran around a 4.55-4.58, same as Colston, and Arrington, who also ran around the same time who we picked up in the 7th round and kept over Blythe. All 3 are tall receivers with good hands, except Blythe looked better than Arrington.

Arrington wound up getting turf toe and put on IR. That could ruin his career. I bet Payton regrets not keeping Blythe over Arrington. But from what i know about the owner, i think he is the one who has the final say.

Fans did not like Blythe and said he was a camp body and said he didnt look as good as arrington in training camp. I saw them, they werent even paying attention to Blythe, they were oohing and ahhing over Arrington. and even Skylar Green who we kept on the practice squad, they liked him because he played at LSU, and they were so certain that last season would be his breakout year as a return man/WR. He had been in the league for 2 years and couldnt get off the practice squad.

Benson probably thinks he will lose money if he keeps White players over blacks in a majority black city (hes very greedy). But the season ticket holders are majority White, its their attitude about White players that need to change, they need to wake up. Why else would Payton keep bringing in good White receivers only to get rid of them?He obviously sees these guys are talented. He also brought in the Snow Patrol.

He knows Whites can play football, hes good at evaluating talent. He chose an undersized quarterback who was coming off a shoulder injury that no team wanted in Drew Brees over Daunte Culpepper. Dolphins took Culpepper and it set them back a few years.

its a little easier to get away with having White linebackers than it is wide receivers. Even that didnt last long with the fans screaming "we need more athleticism at the linebacker position" and we brought in Jonathan Vilma who isnt known for his athletic ability, or hard hitting ability, hes just a smart linebacker that can diagnose plays with average ability, hes good and is definitely a quality NFL starter but theres nothing really special about him.

They finally moved the training camp to New orleans this offseason in an air conditioned place. I guess from all of the complaints.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Next year should be better with Eric Decker and Jordan Shipley in the top 10 receivers. I think Decker is the most highly rated white receiver since Kevin Curtis. Decker is not as athletic as Curtis but can be a be a starter in the NFL if given a chance. He has good size at 6'2 so that can't be used against him.

Jordan Shipley is a little faster than Decker but shorter at 6'0. He could be a solid # 2 or # 3 receiver in the NFL.Edited by: whiteathlete33

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I actually think Shipley could be a legit #1 Split-End. I am predicting a mid 4.4 from Shipley at the Combine. Shipley is a great route runner in addition.

If I was going to rank my receivers for next year's draft I would rank Decker #1 and Shipley #2 (overall) currently. Decker is like a slightly better version of Michael Crabtree.

I can't wait to see what that evil site footballsfuture will do next year for their rankings. With both Decker and Shipley their true colors might be exposed. The Greg Davis guy from that site who does the rankings, really loathes white athletes as much as Tom Luginbill.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Decker and Shipley are both very talented. I hope they don't get the Mike Haas treatment. Noone will be able to say they are too slow as both are significantly faster than Haas. Haas is a better route runner and has great hands.

I was reading today about the Jaguars signing Torry Holt. Several articles stated that he Jaguars now have the receiving threat they need. I guess 65 receptions in 12 games for Jones meant nothing.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Draftdaddy echos my sentiments that Michael Crabtree and Austin Collie are similar prospects in many ways...

The Deseret News: Austin Collie is hoping to break stigma of prolific B.Y.U. receivers that fail to project as quality pros

DD.comment: A few years ago a bunch posters at Cougarfan.com attacked us real hard for being anti-B.Y.U., or anti-mormon (that's real stupid), because we were down on some of their top prospects, including quarterback John Beck, who we thought was wildly overrated by N.F.L. scouts. They were real upset, in particular, because we ranked Utah's Brett Ratliff, who is now promising youngster with the New York Jets, ahead of Beck in our quarterback rankings. Anyhow, those fans may be surprised to know we think Collie is vastly underrated and should be considered a 100 prospect. Sure he didn't run a real fast 40 at the Combine, but his other times (shuttles, 3 cone, ect.) were all above average. Some were well above average, showing he has great agility and is very quick in short areas. We realize Michael Crabteree will be drafted but much higher than Collie, but when you think about it, Austin has a very similar size and speed ratio to Crab and when you look at their stats last season, the two compare favorably in terms of on-field production (Crab: 97, 1,165 & 19 TD's; Collie 106, 1,538 and 15 TD's). We think Austin could be a great "value pick" and in the right system, he can really thrive in N.F.L.

This is very true.
smiley32.gif

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Julian Edelman is a QB out of Kent St. who seems to be gaining momentum as the draft approaches. He is being viewed as a wildcat type option.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Draft Daddy strikes once again!

DD.comment: A few years ago a bunch posters at Cougarfan.com attacked us real hard for being anti-B.Y.U., or anti-mormon (that's real stupid), because we were down on some of their top prospects, including quarterback John Beck, who we thought was wildly overrated by N.F.L. scouts. They were real upset, in particular, because we ranked Utah's Brett Ratliff, who is now a promising backup with the New York Jets, ahead of Beck in our quarterback rankings. Anyhow, those fans may be surprised to know we think Collie is vastly underrated and should be considered a 100 prospect. Sure he didn't run a real fast 40 at the Combine, but his other times (shuttles, 3 cone, ect.) were all above average. Some were well above average, showing he has great agility and is very quick in short areas. We realize Michael Crabteree will be drafted but much higher than Collie, but when you think about it, Austin has a very similar size and speed ratio to Crab and when you look at their stats last season, the two compare favorably in terms of on-field production (Crab: 97, 1,165 & 19 TD's; Collie 106, 1,538 and 15 TD's). We think Austin could be a great "value pick" and in the right system, he can really thrive in N.F.L.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Mormons have an unreal persecution complex that is deeply embedded in their culture. Although there isn't much evidence for having such a complex now, they moan about people who they believe are out to get them all the time. They throw around the term "anti-Mormon" just like the rest of our society throws around the term "racist." Its lame, and I'm glad DraftDaddy didn't fall for it. I commend them for writing objectively about John Beck and Austin Collie.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Collie's a stud, I hope he goes high this weekend.