Carson Steele RB

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
I think he’ll dip into 4.45 range. Maybe even lower. He’s a workout freak. We can’t sell him short there.

4.45 is faster than CMC. If he runs below 4.5 I'll be surprised. CMC was 5'11 200lbs. and ran a 4.48. Steele is 6'0-6'1 225lbs. No way he'll run a 4.45, but he doesn't need to ordinarily, but because he's white he may have run a low 4.5 to get drafted. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see him run a 4.45, but I just don't think he will.
Serious question: what difference does it make if he's a late round draft pick or a UFDA on his chances of becoming a meaningful player? Isabella was a 2nd round draft pick, with fastest 40 of his draft year and he has hardly played..

Maybe I'm just blackpilled but, unless he's a super elite CMC type of RB who lights it up, he isn't going to be given a chance regardless of where he gets drafted.
As we've stated before CMC got a shot more than likely because his father was and NFL WR and that carried a lot of pull. CMC grew up around the NFL. However, as others have said, I keep holding out hope that because of what CMC has accomplished other white RB's will get a fair shot, but not holding my breath.
Right now, Shipley is the highest rated white RB at a high of the 5th best RB in the draft. If he comes out. I don't think he's declared as he has said he is playing in tomorrow's Gator Bowl. There's word that he may even play another year at Clemson.

El Gringo

Mentor
If memory serves me correct in the past 25 years the only two big backs that have been drafted high and actually had a chance at meaningful carries were Vardell and Leonard. Both of them ran sub 4,5 forties at over 230 lbs. I think Steele definitely has a shot to do it as Bucky mentioned he’s a workout warrior.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
If memory serves me correct in the past 25 years the only two big backs that have been drafted high and actually had a chance at meaningful carries were Vardell and Leonard. Both of them ran sub 4,5 forties at over 230 lbs. I think Steele definitely has a shot to do it as Bucky mentioned he’s a workout warrior.

Leonard ran a 4.52 hand held 40 time at 226 lbs.. which normally equates to a 4.6 something laser time.
Jersey Joe Martinek ran a 4.50 hand held time at 224 lbs. I thought Martinek ran faster.
Looking at Vardell's combine results show no 40 time.
I don't think Steele will break break 4.5 laser time, but I hope he does. Probably the only way he gets drafted.
It would be hard to believe that he's, Steele is as fast as McCaffrey.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Don't forget Toby Gerhart, drafted in the second round and actually was Jacksonville's featured back one season but had to run behind a horrible offensive line on a bad team and never got another chance. We've discussed Gerhart and his travails in the NFL in depth on numerous occasions.

I don't recall Vardell ever being sub-4.5, my memory of him was in the 4.6-4.7 range. He did have a solid second season with Cleveland, 644 yards rushing and O. J. Simpson called him All Pro quality during a MNF game (that was the year before Simpson became the country's most notorious accused killer). But Vardell blew out a knee and never hit as many as 200 yards again in his career though he did have a couple of seasons as the Lions' goal line back.

El Gringo

Mentor
Don't forget Toby Gerhart, drafted in the second round and actually was Jacksonville's featured back one season but had to run behind a horrible offensive line on a bad team and never got another chance. We've discussed Gerhart and his travails in the NFL in depth on numerous occasions.

I don't recall Vardell ever being sub-4.5, my memory of him was in the 4.6-4.7 range. He did have a solid second season with Cleveland, 644 yards rushing and O. J. Simpson called him All Pro quality during a MNF game (that was the year before Simpson became the country's most notorious accused killer). But Vardell blew out a knee and never hit as many as 200 yards again in his career though he did have a couple of seasons as the Lions' goal line back.
Damn, how could I forgot Gerhart!!

Touchdown Tommy did run a 4.4 8,40! I remember he was on the cover of sports illustrated when I was in high school and I thought for sure he was gonna be the next John Riggins. It’s hard to believe that the Genius drafted him ninth overall. https://vault.si.com/vault/1992/04/20/touchdown-tommy-stanford-fullback-tommy-vardell-a-likely-top-10-nfl-draft-pick-sounds-almost-too-good-to-be-true#:~:text=There had been suspicions that,the top of the charts.

The man was an absolute powerhouse.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I've always greatly enjoyed watching all the talented White RBs and Vardell was one of them as Stanford has been one of the very few schools that have let Whites run the ball since the Caste System went hard-core. Luke Staley out of BYU was another, Doak Walker winner yet not drafted until the sixth round and then hobbled by injuries, he was an awesome runner. Just gotta hope Steele, Shipley and Schrader get a chance, not likely but maybe if they hold on and serve racial apprenticeships something like the Hillis Cure may eventually work in their favor.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
I’ll have to go back and watch some more of Steele’s film.. I’m thinking he’ll run close to what Leonard and Toby did.

4.45 is me trying to be optimistic LOL. I know I have my Debbi downer moments.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
I’ll have to go back and watch some more of Steele’s film.. I’m thinking he’ll run close to what Leonard and Toby did.

4.45 is me trying to be optimistic LOL. I know I have my Debbi downer moments.
Hey Bucky, he may break 4.5 but it will be HH time at his pro day, probably not laser time. If he posts a 4.49 HH would be great for him and bring his stock up I'm sure.
Gerhart ran a 4.5 HH time at 6' 231lbs.

Last edited: