Carson Steele RB

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Another great RB prospect for us! Should have plenty of exposure transferring up to UCLA.

From this great article. I posted a small part of just how athletic Carson "Superman Of" Steele is!

He’s also the strong kid. Steele’s maniacal workout efforts — how about running outside in his boxers when it snowed to prepare for cold-weather games? — have resulted in an athletic freak. Steele squats 600-plus pounds and can clear 400 pounds on the bench press. One UCLA source described Steele as an “animal” in the weight room this offseason.

El Gringo

Mentor
It was a really good article until I got to the part where it talks about his competition with sophomore TJ Harden who averaged 7 ypc last year and isn’t guaranteed the starting position. Harden had a “excellent spring” according to the author. Looks like he might be splitting touches which is no surprise. Bad choice for Steele!

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
It was a really good article until I got to the part where it talks about his competition with sophomore TJ Harden who averaged 7 ypc last year and isn’t guaranteed the starting position. Harden had a “excellent spring” according to the author. Looks like he might be splitting touches which is no surprise. Bad choice for Steele!

Carson Steele averaging 5.4 YPC on 289 carries is much more impressive than Harden with his 7 YPC on 44 carries. Steele is the better player, let's hope his decision to go to UCLA will pay some dividends.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
UCLA was very balanced with Charbonet, a big back like Steele. I’m going to be optimistic and say Steele tears it up out West.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
UCLA was very balanced with Charbonet, a big back like Steele. I’m going to be optimistic and say Steele tears it up out West.

I could live with Steele getting 70 percent of the carries. At the very minimum 60 percent. The kid is an alpha male in
every sense of the word! I don't Carson Steelr staying quiet for too long if he only got half the carries. I'm sure he asked
these questions before he transferred as many schools wanted his skills. The Bruins are very lucky to have him there! That
being said it will boost his resume for the next step which will be the NFL in a year or two!

El Gringo

Mentor
Carson Steele averaging 5.4 YPC on 289 carries is much more impressive than Harden with his 7 YPC on 44 carries. Steele is the better player, let's hope his decision to go to UCLA will pay some dividends.

I obviously agree that Steele is the better back but we all know how theses “competitions” tend to turn out. I have know idea why he would transfer to a college that would give him 70% of the carries when he got 95% plus at his previous school. Carson shouldn’t have transferred to any team that didn’t guarantee him a starting spot. It makes no sense for a player of his caliber to be in a competition for touches!! UCLA also has another white big back who excelled in a limited role last year whose playing time will be diminished as well. I hope I have to eat my words and he goes on to have a Heisman like season for the Bruins.

Last edited:

Warhawk_46

Master
I obviously agree that Steele is the better back but we all know how theses “competitions” tend to turn out. I have know idea why he would transfer to a college that would give him 70% of the carries when he got 95% plus at his previous school. Carson shouldn’t have transferred to any team that didn’t guarantee him a starting spot. It makes no sense for a player of his caliber to be in a competition for touches!! UCLA also has another white big back who excelled in a limited role last year whose playing time will be diminished as well. I hope I have to eat my words and he goes on to have a Heisman like season for the Bruins.
I am also very skeptical of the decision to go to UCLA by Steele. Why that school of all the other options available to him?

NikoDuke

Mentor
Ball St wasn't his first choice from listening to him. He didn't have many options at the tim and perhaps he now views this move as a step up now that he has more options.

SneakyQuick

Mentor
Ball state gave him an opportunity when most others wouldn’t which is great, but given the chance to play there or attend UCLA and it seems like a pretty obvious move, to me at least.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
If he gets between 225 to 250 carries I can live with that. He won't get 289 as Ball State had no depth of any talent. UCLA has guys
that can play with some ability but Carson Steele should carry the rock 75 percent of the time or at least I hope so!

El Gringo

Mentor
I am also very skeptical of the decision to go to UCLA by Steele. Why that school of all the other options available to him?

Yep, it makes no sense at all to go from getting all the touches at Ball st to 60 to 75% of the carries at UCLA and being in a “competition” with a sophomore. Hell, I believe Yankoff who averaged over 5 ypc but most of his touches were goal line is a better back than Harden. As far as NIL deals when is the last time California has promoted a blond hair blue eyed “alpha” male?? If Steele gets dinged up or fumbles a couple times and harden comes in and excels it’s a 400 to 500 yard season and a conversion to a “old school and versatile rb/hb/fb” in the nfl for Tyson.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Yep, it makes no sense at all to go from getting all the touches at Ball st to 60 to 75% of the carries at UCLA and being in a “competition” with a sophomore. Hell, I believe Yankoff who averaged over 5 ypc but most of his touches were goal line is a better back than Harden. As far as NIL deals when is the last time California has promoted a blond hair blue eyed “alpha” male?? If Steele gets dinged up or fumbles a couple times and harden comes in and excels it’s a 400 to 500 yard season and a conversion to a “old school and versatile rb/hb/fb” in the nfl for Tyson.

On a positive note if he shines and gets alot of carries both Stanford and UCLA will have starting white running backs! This would make the
Pac 12 one of the better conferences to watch. Let's hope they both have nice years. I want to see Carson Steele become a household name!

El Gringo

Mentor
On a positive note if he shines and gets alot of carries both Stanford and UCLA will have starting white running backs! This would make the
Pac 12 one of the better conferences to watch. Let's hope they both have nice years. I want to see Carson Steele become a household name!

Good point WL!! You always have a way of looking at the glass have full and I appreciate ya, I’m
Just pissed about Californians!!

Warhawk_46

Master
Well, Carson Steele is one and done at UCLA as he has declared for the NFL Draft after an underwhelming year in Los Angeles.

He rotated carries with a black back and now he wants to try his hand at the NFL. Talk about shooting himself in the foot!

A white running back who is not flat-out dominant will be marginalized. Period.

Some NFL Draft sites have him listed as an UDFA. Who is giving our guys such horrible advice??

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Horrible decision. No doubt he has nfl rb talent as a starter or 2nd string but the league is so anti white he will face a huge uphill
struggle. Let's hope for the best! So sad that he is leaving school early like Max Borghi. Hope it turns out better but it's not likely.

wile

Master
UDFA, now he will be eating canned spaghetti off a paper plate and not a hot cheerleader in sight.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Hopefully we are wrong. He should have stayed for one more year but the way Kelly mismanaged him this season I can't fault him. He's a true junior and has put on impressive game film over his career. He has a near impossible task in terms of getting drafted and getting reps. Maybe CMC will hopefully start having a positive impact for our guys but I won't hold my breath. The gatekeepers want this league as black as possible.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Yep he needs to run a 4.49 or lower to have a chance.

It's so sad that an elite talent at rb will potentially not even be drafted unless he runs a fast enough 40 time. What a joke as we know
if Carson Steele were black all the teams would be drooling over his talent. If only the scouts, coach's & teams were color blind!

NikoDuke

Mentor
Serious question: what difference does it make if he's a late round draft pick or a UFDA on his chances of becoming a meaningful player? Isabella was a 2nd round draft pick, with fastest 40 of his draft year and he has hardly played..

Maybe I'm just blackpilled but, unless he's a super elite CMC type of RB who lights it up, he isn't going to be given a chance regardless of where he gets drafted.

SneakyQuick

Mentor
Serious question: what difference does it make if he's a late round draft pick or a UFDA on his chances of becoming a meaningful player? Isabella was a 2nd round draft pick, with fastest 40 of his draft year and he has hardly played..

Maybe I'm just blackpilled but, unless he's a super elite CMC type of RB who lights it up, he isn't going to be given a chance regardless of where he gets drafted.
Agreed. He had a lackluster season at a lackluster program. Whatever the reasoning he is unlikely to be drafted. Even if he is … Jake Funk, max Borghi anyone?

Warhawk_46

Master
I think he’ll dip into 4.45 range. Maybe even lower. He’s a workout freak. We can’t sell him short there.
I’d imagine something in the 4.5 range for him.

The average NFL running back runs a 4.6 or so.

A blazing 40 time doesnt really help him. Borghi is a 4.4 guy; Woodhead a 4.3 guy. Neither were drafted.

Carson Steele screwed himself by this decision. If it came down to money he could have earned more in NIL than he surely will as a late round draft selection or a UDFA.

Had he put together a monster senior year he would have shot up draft boards. That doesn’t guarantee he starts in the NFL but he becomes harder to cut if drafted.