Can you relate;Long story sorry if boring

P-NutLane

Guru
I joined CF a few weeks ago, and enjoy coming here every day. I am a stay at home daddy,
smiley9.gif
"MR. MOM" my daddy calls me. My wife works hard, and is devoted to her job, and I have come to terms with not winning the bread. Im 24, and take care of my son of 7mts.Since my wife and i got married, I have for the first time in my life had the internet. She grew up with it, and works with computers. So shes taught me alot in a year.& nbsp;& nbsp; Anyway, I learned of youtube right away and thaught it was great. I began by looking at PistolPete highlights, and long story shortend a little, found CF after the way I saw how people loved seeing J. Weirner lose in Bejieng.More or less. I instantly loved the honesty found here and joined up. I have a story of my own that might be found by someto beworth reading. It will have a point in the end if the reader would hang with me.

I lived the first 13 years of my life in the woods in the house I was born at. Small town Texas. My daddy was a ranch hand who got paid 450 bucks a month, momma tended my sisters and me. I figure I loved sports as much as a boy can, and I excelled at them. I would like to say that Ill be sounding likeIm braging on myself some, but I promise Its not "tootin my own horn". Since I havegrown up, so to speak, I realize that I was better than I gave myself credit for, or that coaches gave me credit for. That, my brothers is the eventual point to this long post. In my mind I was very good;..."for a white boy".

In 3rd grade I started with lil dribblers, 8ft baskets. 5th grade pee wee football,I was the RB,and the coaches son, typical story. The stats;6 games, 19 touchdowns. We have the games on film still. I never added up the yards, but it was alot. But still, itslocal pee wee stuff, no big deal, I know that.Also I started riding steers, and young bullsthat same year. In 6th grade I played startingtailback,and starting point gaurd,for the 8th grade team, and then again in 7th and 8th.Again, its 1A, 8th grade football and roundball, with a rodeo every two weekends or so.Not amazing,but I think pretty good for a young boy.At 13I had become the Texas steer riding champion in theAmeircan Youth Rodeo Association, and Reserve Texaschamp at the JR. Bulls level,in the Pro Youth Rodeo Association.I have 7 total gold beltbuckles from various 1st place finishes in single events as well. In football, 3 times all district for 8th grade, and the same for basketball, with6 first teamAll Tournys in there.Track;; District champ, 1 mile, 200, 400, high jump, long jump.

Ipost these facts because when I was 13my folks got fired from the ranch, and we moved because the rent free house we lived in at the ranch was part of working there.The ranch owner, who was a millionare, got some illegals to fill my daddys spot.Now Iwould be going to a town,and a school that was about 60 % black folks. I had no idea what I was in for.

Ill never forget the first day of 2-a-days.It was,and Im notjoking, 11 black startes against a scout team of 7blacks,3 white boys, andone mexican. I showed up late because I was new intown and they had to get my pads and such. After a few plays Imet the coaches, and was put at scout team JV cornerback, andWR.Before practice was over I was first team JV CB, WR. That season the Varsity had 30 guys, 18 black.No white starter on varsity, and some of the brothas played bolth ways. Jv had white Jrs, and Srs. Varsity had black Frsh, and Sophs. It was very much, if your black, its Varsity. My first game JV, I caught 3 passes for 104 yards;1 71 yard TD 3 tackles, 1 INT for a 35 TD return. 2nd game, 1 catch 42 yards, 17 tackles from CB. The other team kept running a sweep to my side. After those games, and the fact that I did good in practice,I got moved up to the varsity bench. I spent 2 games crying on the sidline behnd my facemask as I watched us lose, and then I got lucky. Report cards came, and only 4 of the 18 black guys were able to play due to grades. I now would be starting cornerback on varsity as a 114 pound freshman. Hints the name P-nut. I did good that year on tackles, snaged 4 picks, and avereged 40 yards a kickoff return. We missed the playoffs by a 2 point conversion. Later on that year, in Varsity Bball,5.2 points, and 9.7 assists a game.The big mistake I made that year is the biggest mistake I made in life. I started hanging with the brothas across the tracks where the white folks calledN*&^er Hill. It wasaround this time Iquit riding bulls, because I thought the brothas would except me lessif I did that cowboy stuff. I kept thegold belt buckles a secret, because all of a sudden Its nothing to be proud of. I saw how they talked about "rednecks".

The next year I was 3rd string Corner again, until reports cards came out. Again most of the brothas failed. In 2 games, as a 130 pound sophmore, I caught 6 passes ,one a 54 yard touchdown, and got anINT in the endzone for a touchback.Had 4 tackles 1 game and 11 in the next, and the one punt I got to return I made a 49 yard TD. The whole time I felt bad thatmy black friends who failed couldnt play. I just KNEW that if they were still around I wouldnt be playing. Wellthe school did what it didnt do the year before, and went ahead and cheated somehow and every single one of them got to come back, and suit up. Now, I was just coming in as slot WR every now and then,to run a reverse or catch a critcal 3rd down pass over the middle. Red right 84 slant double go,mostly ment that I was gonna get hit hard. Still Icaught 2 TDs that year, and had almost 300 yards Rec. Also avg. 13 yards a carry on nothing but reverses. I dont have the stats for roundball that year, but I was all district as a point gaurd. Powerlifting;; Bronze medelState Meet 133 lbs weight div.

During the summer between soph and jr year, I was neck deep in ghetto culture, and thougt I was somthing for it.I would defendMike Vick as the best QB, and hapily tell you thatwhite boys other than myself couldnt hang in sports like I could. You see this is what the brothas had me thinking.I hated steve nash, and eric crouch, and knew the trashy foul mouthed lyrics of 2pac,and the likes. Typical wigger if Im gonna be honest with myself ,and you fine men.... We got a new coaching staff that year. First day of 2-a-days, we meet them, as well as the ariving freshman class of 14,15,and 16 year old, black boys ready for their mandatory varsity positions. The only question was who is the QB, and RB. The new coach, a one time tight end at Texas Tech, tested 40 times. I had never done it before, and was eager to see the result, I knew I was fast. First time, 4.41 seconds, second time, 4.38sec. The coaches, and the black playeres seemed as if they didnt like it.Despite being the fastest guy on the team, and much bigger, at 5,7 154 lbs, I started that year as a 3rd string CB, WR. A soph and fresh ahead of me, bolth black, bolth teachers sons. After the 4th game we did 40s again at monday practce. The first time we ran in pairs, with 2 coaches, each with a stop watch. This time we ran alone with just the head coach timing us. My time was 5 flat, then 4.89, I didnt trust it then, and I still dont buy it. I hung up my pads after practice, and focused on the upcoming Bball season. I had played maybe 10 downs in 4 games.

Well I dont know what I expected, but come basketball season I was moved down to JV. The Varsity squad, 12 blacks.5 of them were freshman and 2 were sophmores.One of which was just 5ft3. This after an all district point gaurd season the year before. I had played streetball with them all for 2 years almost twice a week, Id guess, and they knew I should have been on the squad. Most of them were cousins, and we all knew each other well. They all knew it, but what did I expect, a black affleate to go to JV so his white friend, who talks black, and schoolsthem with his crosover, and 3point shot in practice can maybe earn a scolorship to Junior College. I played 3 games on JV, in which I scored, 38, 21, and 34, and had 15 steals one game!!! On JV I remained.
smiley18.gif
At this point I was 17, full of testostarone, confidince, pride, and a broken heart from seeing the varsity team playing with scouts from Mary Hardin Baylor,and Howard Payne University in the stands. While I was the Jr on JV that got told daily, "White boy you needs ta stops pickin on dem lil kids." After practice one day that week I got into a fist fight with the loud mouth starting varsity point gaurd, who can best be described as Boobie Miles on Friday Night Lights. I guess I took my anger out on his face a little, and got myself kicked out of school. I joined the Iron Workers Union in Austin at 17, and now its getting hard to get a job in theUnion unless your mexican.

Such is life for the white kid who grows up to face the harsh reality that ,no matter how good you proform, no matter how fast you are, or how tough you are, or even how black you can act, or play , or dance after a score.No matter if your Daddy gets TAKENFROM THE STANDS BY THE COPS,,,,,,,with tears in his eys because he cant help screaming from the stands the truth to a Caste Coach
smiley19.gif
. No matter what, at schools that have enough blacks to fill the roster, your white hide just aint gonna get a chance to get noticed. You will have to get to school some other way, and contrary to most blacks beliefs, we dont all have a big college savings given to us by the MAN to help see to it that they stay oppressed.

So I speak to the man who loves the game,and misses it painfully. I speak to those who have ever shed tears when thinking about the freedom of running the fast break, or sliding into home plate, or juking your way into the endzone, or crossing the finish line with nobody in your periferel vision, and hadskills todo itat least 4 more years, but was funneled into a tedious job or even poverty, because the school he went to had enough black affletes to keep the gifts God gave him on the beanch. I cry out to him or her who can share the pain of wondering what might have been, if youdve got the playing time.
smiley7.gif

Above all I speak for my son. I fear what Ill do if he isnt treated fairly. I speak for your sons, and nephews, and cousins. I would love to hear any simuliar stories. Please share, my breathren. Like I said, I am a stay at home dad right now. I got time to kill, so I can look for things online or just anything yall can think of. Maybe you guys are busy all the time, Im not so if I can help, let me know.
smiley4.gif
Be thrilled to. Well now evryone knows all about me, and kinda why I love this place so much. Sorry for the length of this ramble. Bless Mr. Don , and all the CF family.

PhillyBirds

Mentor
P-Nut, that's one hell of a story. With your athletic gifts, there's no reason you shouldn't have been presented he tools to succede from the get-go. I appreciate your candidness and applaud your perseverance.

I'll give you my story, if you like. Probably the reason I was pushed to find a site like this. I may have said some of this before, but here goes.

Growing up in Philadelphia, I was always surrounded by sports and was immersed at an early age. I played the obligatory little league baseball, but I started football at six years old. And loved it.

The thing was, our local youth football group was majority black, as you can imagine. They didn't let my dad coach a team (for obvious reasons) and so we drove 45 minutes everyday to play for a suburban league that was nearly 100% white, that my cousin played in.

My dad coached defense, and our teams enjoyed immense success. I played FB and MLB, and was a team captain for many years. In 2000, we made it to the Pop Warner Superbowl in Florida. We lost 8-0 in the championship game. I made Pop Warner Academic All-American for my grades and performance.

I obviously assumed I'd excell in school football. Boy, was I wrong.

At my mostly-black high school, I found myself being viewed as athletically inferior to the black players. So I hit the weight room everyday after school. I ran. I watched film. I switched to S/WR. And yet I never played. I knew the game better and my report card was immaculate.

During the middle of my senior season, I told my dad, with tears in my eyes that I couldn't stand not playing every day. My lifelong mentor stood by my decision and I hung it up after 12 years of devotion. I certainly wasn't expecting college scholarships. I just wanted to play.

Then I found rugby, and after playing one year in HS earned a small scholarship to a state school to play. I lie awake at night often telling myself that I gave up, but after finding Caste Football and people like P-Nut, I knew why.

Thanks!

Edited by: PhillyBirds

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Excellent post. I experience alot of the same things when I played sports back in the day. It was always, whites can't run, whiteboys can't jump, etc. I whooped more than a a few of these kids in races only to hear them say they pulled a muscle. It is all about them. They want to be put up on a pedestal all while they are knocking you down. It's really sad to hear about how talented you were P Nutt Lane. Don't get too down. You need to be the inspiration for your family. You also need to help us in this fight for equality. We love having you here. I always say this place is like a second family or another group of close friends. You can still participate in athletics. They have basketball, football, and baseball/softball leagues for all ages.

If you like track, you can compete in track meets until your in your 80's. They have the 20-30 age group, 31-39, and masters divisions which are 40 years old and up to senior citizens. This is serious stuff. People train year round. Don't give up on yourself or the future for your family. You are the man of the house. Lead by example my friend. One last thing. It's Jeremy Wariner is how it is spelled. No big deal but he is one of the greatest sprinters of all time. Just wanted to help. Take it easy and welcome again to the board.

Sean

Mentor
Great posts by all, and welcome to the site P-Nut!

As the other posters have mentioned, don't feel too down. You can inspire your kid! Also, don't feel like it's too late for an athletic career. Not everbody has to be a pro! As white lightning said, track is an option. Martial Arts is a really good way to keep in shape, and advance, and possibly lead to a job as an instructor down the line! Good luck man.

smiley32.gif

Observer

Mentor
P-Nut, that is a great story, a heckuva story. Man, I hope there are a couple more chapters in it yet to come.Edited by: Observer

guest301

Hall of Famer
Stunningly awesome post P-Nut. Glad you have found a home to share your experiences here at CF.

P-NutLane

Guru
Thanks to all yall for the positive words of encouragement.
smiley1.gif

PhillyBirds; Good stuff man. I sure am glad I didnt grow up in the big city. I knew some Iron Workers from Philly, when I lived in New Orleans. They say Philly is the same way. Lots of blue coller working whitefolks, but even more unemployed blacks, who dont plan on doing anything besides sell dope. Not to mention the dangerous school system. Im glad to hear you got to play you some rugby,at least. Still, it must be hard somtime to think abouthow sweet it wouldve been to get a fair shot atyour first choice, football.
smiley7.gif
God bless, and thanks again.

white lightning; Thats funny about when you out run them, the pulled muscle thing. I have been there. I have even hadone ofthem complain thathe crossed the finish line first, and white racisim was to blame forhis 2nd place finish. I have abused them on the playground at roundball only to hear them on the cell phone, telling their girl, or their hommie, "Yeah, Im down here at the parkschoolin these whiteboyz." Or "Man I was playin ball, but aint nobody down here on my level" ect.ect. Thanks for the spelling check on J. Warnier.
smiley9.gif
I live in the area of Baylor, where he went to school. He is my fav track star hands down. God Bless!

Sean: Ive always been interested in martial arts. The closest to that Ive come is a cousin of mine was training for UFC back in the 90s. He showed me a few things, and its come in handy in life when having to defend myself. He loved Hoyce Gracie and tried to learn that style of Brazilian Jujitsu. He never made it far, and droped it to focus on boxing. Anyway, thanks alot, God Bless

Observer: Im glad you found my story worth reading. The chapters from the endinguntill now are not very sports related. Lots of playground basketball, and a few 1mile runs. Mostly lots of hard work helping build schools, hospitals, churches, cop shops, fire stations,and jails. One other noteable thing to mention is that last summer I dominated a YMCA mensleauge. I had gven my life to the Lord Jesus at that point(best thing to ever happen to me)and contacted Bible College. My Bball skills are still very sharp, and I am stronger than ever. Im short5'9, but I can dunk 2 handed.To make a long story very much shorter, they found out I was white and all of a sudden I needed 22,000 bucks to attend.
smiley18.gif
If you would like to know the details to that faith testing experiance,let me know, and Ill tell it.I always enjoy your post, if you have an athletic story id like to hearit.God Bless

guest301; Glad you liked it, glad to have the support of good caucasian brothers. CasteFootball is the only place I feel like I can be taken seriously. Thanks, and God Bless

Id like to say that castefootball is near and dear to my heart. I LOVE football, and basketball, and indeed, all sports. I am truly struck with sadness daily which stems most often from nostalgia.
smiley19.gif
I get cold chills at the idea of my son having to deal with it too.
smiley7.gif
Sports always put a boyish twinkle in my heart, until I awoke to the realitywithin the sports that inspired that twinkle. Now the games on TVaggravate me. I cant do much, but WILL do what I can for my son, and yours. Please, brothers, let me know what I can do from my computer to help our cause. ThesportsI love are maybe too important to me, butthat is just how it is, I cant help it.Yall are truly my brothers, and your sons are my nephews. If anybody else has a story of frustration, Id love tosee it. Edited by: P-NutLane