Cam McDaniel - 2011 RB

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Big game this weekend for Coppell, TX and Cam McDaniel. They play against Trinity (Euless, TX), which has been one of the top-ranked teams nationally all year long, in the state Class 5A D1 playoffs. Hopefully Cam will be able to gain more yards than Trinity's midget RB, Terrance Tusan, an affroletic 5'5", 156 lbs.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Wow, Notre Dame! Nice to see the IRISH get an IRISH RB! Kelly used John Goebel some while at Cinci and Cam is better than JG so he should see time.

Here's my scouting report: Cam's top end speed definitely improved more to the look of a 4.5 back. His agility is very impressive and he uses his eyes well to find holes and has a great burst to hit them before they close. Highlights still not as good as Nile Knapp's which is why I'm still sulking over the Knapp situation. Cam breaks some tackles in the vid and is good as an all purpose back catching passes and has that hurdle ability that McGuffie, Leonard and Hillis possess. Overall he has the look of a 4 star top 150 prospect in the nation.

whiteCB

Master
Congrats to Cam on being offered a D1 Scholarship for RB!!!

Anytime a white kid gets a full ride at the RB position it calls for a toast men!!
smiley47.gif

FYI Watched his highlights and he's the definition of a quick twitch athlete.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
I showed Cam's highlight video to a DWF who happened to be a Notre Dame fan. He called Cam an amazing athlete but said he didn't look that fast. I told him he ran a 4.5 and his comment was that Notre Dames backs right now run faster! I also made the comment that he mustbe pretty fast since he's led his team into the thirdround of the Texas playoffs. It's an uphill battle trying to get these people to think fairly. They're so brainwashed into loving black runningbacks that they cannot comprehend athletic white kids who play this "taboo" position.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Without even talking about the FBS, the median 40 time for tailbacks at the NFL combine is mid to high 4.5s. The typical "starting" NFL tailback runs about a 4.5. If Cam McDaniel is running a 4.5 on an average speed track right now as a senior in H.S, I'd expect a 4.5 to low 4.5 on the NFL combine's slower track by the time he goes to the NFL combine! Hopefully I won't jinx him...break a leg Cam!

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
To give an example of what I'm talking about: Toby Gerhart ran a 4.48 as a senior in H.S (not sure if the timing was hand timed or electronic). He went on to run somewhere around a 4.53-4.55 at the NFL combine. Brain Leonard ran a 4.47 as a senior in H.S. He went on to run somewhere between a 4.49-4.52 at the NFL combine. Celtic, the best way to convince DWFs is by explaining the actual median 40 time of tailbacks at the NFL combine and the median of what a typical NFL starter runs.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Good thing Notre Dame's Rival's "recruiting analysts" aren't coaches, or else McDaniel would never get a sniff out of the backfield. "I haven't watched much film of him, my initial impression: slot reciever." "But if Coach Kelly says he's a RB, I guess we can trust him."
smiley21.gif
Edited by: Jack Lambert

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
BTW, when I called Cam a top 150 prospect in the nation I meant overall regardless of position. I'd say he's in the top 15 or 20 backs in the nation.

Even if the rankings were fair, which they're not, I say they are pretty much irrelevant for predicting college success. There are so many different variables in college, from how much strength and speed they add, coaching, teammates, your whole offensive scheme, and teams you play. Toby Gerhart was ranked as the 53rd RB coming out of high school yet ended up the number 1 RB 4 years later. What happened to those other 52 guys in front of him?

I think Cam has all the ingredients to make him successful. I like the direction Notre Dame is going, and Notre Dame fans of all people I believe will support a white RB, especially with a last name like McDaniel lol!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I can't wait to see this kid run for the Fighting Irish. That video is pretty damn good if you ask me. His ability to cut is excellent and also his balance as he does it. He also loses almost no speed as he cuts. He has a little Danny Woodhead in him but not quite as fast. He should be a great pick up for Notre Dame. It's about damn time they recruited a white running back!

white lightning said:
I can't wait to see this kid run for the Fighting Irish. That video is pretty damn good if you ask me. His ability to cut is excellent and also his balance as he does it. He also loses almost no speed as he cuts. He has a little Danny Woodhead in him but not quite as fast. He should be a great pick up for Notre Dame. It's about damn time they recruited a white running back!

WL just remember Danny Woodhead is 7 years older than McDaniel, and from what I've read I believe speed peaks in men on average between 25 and 28, so Cam has some time to improve (although he already has in just the last year).

And yes, it IS about time ND recruited a white RB! I foresee ND starting 14-15 white players in future seasons.

snow

Mentor
Yeah, great to see the Irish actually recruting someone...Irish. When I was around 4 years old I used to say that the Irish were my favorite team because I really thought they were mostly Irish guys, but that wasn't the case in the Lou Holtz era, I was dissapointed when my Grandpa told me this.

I thought the top white backs coming out recently were Nile Knapp, Marc Mauro and Cam McDanielEdited by: snow

white is right

Hall of Famer
The Irish's base were the ethnic second generation Catholics in the post WWII era. Ie Italians, Germans, Poles and Irish. They used to recruit in the Midwest and in the North East. Under Holtz he brought Notre Dame as close to the "big time" schools recruiting practices as Notre Dame can get. He brought in many Blacks with dubious academic records. Raghib Ishmail was a prop 48 guy(he later graduated with a degree though). I just hope he isn't buried on the depth chart. It would be fun to watch a White tailback tote the rock. Edited by: white is right

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Another article about Cam that briefly mentions race. The comment section is a different story though.

<div ="entry_er">
<h1 ="entry_title">McDaniel wins player of the year award in Texas 5Afootball</h1>
<div ="name_date">
Keith Arnold
Feb 14, 2011, 1:55 PM EST
</div>
<div ="comment_count">4</span> Comments</div> </div>

cam_mcdaniel.jpgw=182
</span></span>

The contrarian among Notre Dame fans would look at the Irish's
recruiting class and see a running back haul that's a bit thin,
especially after the high profile defection of Justice Hayes to Michigan
and the loss of Savon Huggins to home state Rutgers.

But the Irish did reel in one running back, Coppell Texas' Cam
McDaniel, who committed on the spot to an Irish offer at the end of
November. And while skeptics look at the undersized (and white) running
back with limited big program offers, they should also take note that
McDaniel dominated competition at the highest level of Texas high school
football, no small feat.

As Brian Town of IrishSportsDaily.com writes,
while the recruiting services might not have McDaniel ranked among the
best players in his state, he accepted the Ford Motor Company's "Built
Ford Tough Player of the Year"Â award for class 5A last night in Cowboys
Stadium.

Here's more from Town on the qualifications of the award:
<blockquote>

To be eligible for this award a player had to be
nominated once throughout the 10-week season as the "Ford Built Tough
Player of the Week."Â Then at the end of the season, Ford and its
advisory board, would choose one player from each of the classes to be
Player of the Year. The criteria for judging included:

1. The performance on the field, including significant stats from that weeks game.

2. How they contributed to their team success through their individual leadership abilities.

3. Their success off the field, including academics and community citizenship.

McDaniel was nominated in week nine of the 2010 season for his performance against Keller, in which Coppel won 56 â€" 16.

He carried the ball 20 times for 265 yards and four touchdowns (33,
79, 20 and 59 yards). He also returned a punt 80 yards for another
touchdown, giving him five in the game.

"I was a little bit surprised,"Â said McDaniel. "It was just an honor
to be there with all those guys, 55 or so tremendous athletes, I mean it
was fun.

"I'm giving all the praise and glory to God on this, he's just good
all the time. It's just a tremendous honor to be named one of the top
players in the state."Â</blockquote>

On Signing Day, running backs coach Tim Hinton mentioned he saw a lot
of Danny Woodhead in his new running back. Woodhead was passed over by
the home state Nebraska Cornhuskers and instead went on to a
record-setting career at Chardon State, where he rushed for 1,840 yards
as a freshman and left the D-II ranks as a two-time national player of
the year before breaking out this year with the New England Patriots.

Obviously, playing high school football at the highest level in Texas
is a different story than playing for North Platte High in Nebraska,
and Woodhead's exploits on the field â€" as well as his elite speed in
high school â€" probably separate him from McDaniel. That said, if the
Irish are looking for a skill player to make an impact this season, it
could come from a guy like McDaniel, who was one of the best punt
returners in Texas and could immediately bolster a punt return game that
ranked 101st in the nation.
http://irish.nbcsports.com/2011/02/14/mcdaniel-wins-player-of-the-year-award-in-texas-5a-football/

chris8812

Anyone else excited at the prospect of Cam's younger brothers TJ, and Gavin? They look well on their way to being stars in their own right.