Black Mississippi Juco RB Arrested Again

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Rising Football Star Arrested On Gun Charge

TheJacksonChannel.Com
6:57 p.m. CST December 11, 2006
HAZLEHURST, Miss. - A rising college football star has been arrested on a charge of gun possession. Jeremy Bibbs was taken into custody Friday.

He's accused of having a gun on the campus of Co-Lin Junior College, where he's a running back on the football team.

Bibbs pleaded guilty to drug charges last year. He's being held at the Copiah County Detention Center.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Update-

WAPT.com
Rising Football Star Could Get 16 Years In Prison

BRANDON, Miss. -- Rising football star Jeremy Bibbs could be sent to prison for up to 16 years after he was charged with having a gun on a college campus.

Bibbs had signed a guilty plea to felony cocaine possession in May 2005, and he agreed to five years of probation.

One of the restrictions of his probation was that, as a convicted felon, Bibbs could not use or possess a firearm.

But police at Co-Lin Community College said they arrested Bibbs on Friday after finding a gun in his dorm room.

Mayor Frank Melton, who took Bibbs under his wing after the cocaine arrest, said he thought Bibbs had his life back on track.

"He has made the dean's list at least twice now, and his athletic ability speaks for itself, so this is the first hiccup that he's had since he's been in college. So I hope this works out, and he's not involved in anything like that. Just based on preliminary information, I think the gun is registered and belongs to another student," Melton said.

Law enforcement officials told 16 WAPT that it doesn't matter if the gun belonged to Bibbs. If the weapon was in his dorm room, police said, Bibbs would be held accountable for violating his probation.

Rankin County Judge William Chapman, who originally sentenced Bibbs to probation, will decide if he goes to jail for the cocaine possession plea.

According to court documents, Bibbs would face four to 16 years if his probation was violated.

A decision is expected Jan. 22.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Gun charge could undo previous plea deal

By Leah Rupp
leah.rupp@clarionledger.com
And Andrew Nelson
ajnelson@clarionledger.com

bilde.jpg

WHAT'S NEXT
Jeremy Bibbs has a Jan. 22 revocation hearing that could determine whether he must serve prison time for a drug conviction.

A second felony conviction could mean a lot more than possible expulsion for Copiah-Lincoln Community College student Jeremy Bibbs.

The one-time all-star football recruit was arrested Friday and charged with possessing a gun on a college campus, a felony that carries a maximum $5,000 fine or three years in prison.

Bibbs, 20, a running back on the college's football team, was taken to the Rankin County jail Tuesday to await a Jan. 22 probation revocation hearing.

After reaching a plea agreement in 2005, Bibbs, a former Northwest Rankin High School student, avoided jail time for felony cocaine possession by attending boot camp at Parchman and agreeing to five-years probation.

"We were trying to salvage this kid's reputation, but it looks like he's just throwing it all away," said David Clark, the Rankin-Madison district attorney who struck the deal in Bibbs' drug conviction.

Jackson Mayor Frank Melton, who has said he shared custody of Bibbs with Bibbs' parents, however, said he does not believe the weapon belonged to Bibbs. "I have never known Jeremy to be around any type of firearms," Melton said. "He's a good kid, and I stand behind him."

Melton said Bibbs lived with him for about a year before he attended the boot camp.

"The last time I saw Jeremy was when he enrolled in (college)," Melton said. "That would have had to be about a year ago."

If Bibbs is found guilty on the gun possession charge, he could face up to 16 years on the drug charge, Clark said, because the conviction would nullify his plea agreement and he would go back before a judge for sentencing.

The online version of the college's student handbook states that possession or use of unauthorized firearms on the premises violates state law. Disciplinary action for any offense could include expulsion, dismissal or suspension.

Natalie Davis, spokesperson for the college, would not comment because she could not get further information on the school's in-house policy.

Head Coach Glenn Davis said it's too early to tell if Bibbs could be kicked off the football team

"Jeremy has made a lot of progress in his life here," Davis said. Until "everything comes out in the courts," Davis said he is hesitant to lay blame.

"(Bibbs) has been no trouble - he's no different than anyone who makes a mistake," he said. "I hate that this happened and I know he regrets it, too."Edited by: Colonel_Reb