Bad Black Coaches

eaxs

In counter to what we have seen over the past couple of weeks, I think we should put together a list of terrible Black headcoaches - pro or college. I'll start:

-Denny Green
-Art Shell
-John Blake
-Herman Edwards</font>

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Tyrone Winningham, Tommy Amaker (basketball)

eaxs

Forgot all about Rhodes. Willingham isn't the worst, is still below average for coaching material. Of course, all we hear about him is "he is the kind of guy you want your son to play for, etc..".

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
It was comical to watch Ray Rhodes on the sideline during his one season coaching the Packers -- completely stone-facedand uncomprehending. Art Shell is almost as bad.

Maury Wills was hired as manager of the Mariners at the end of the 1980 season. He was fired after just 24 games in 1981, so you know he had to be wretched to get the boot so quickly being a minority. I remember reading that he didn't have the first clue of how to organize the team's spring training and was otherwise completely out of his element.

But he was a great base stealer.
smiley36.gif

bigunreal

Mentor
Frank Robinson has been a pretty horrible manager for a long, long time. He has certainly proven that the old policy of Major League Baseball rehiring the same retread failures again and again does not apply exclusively to whites. And, of course, the NBA has boasted perhaps the worst black coach of all time, in Isiah Thomas. Lenny Wilkins was also mediocre, but despite never winning anything, was given enough chances to fail so that he garnered an impressive number of career coaching victories.

bigunreal

Mentor
Almost forgot the brief reign of interim Redskin Coach Terry Robiske. This guy was so inarticulate that they really limited his public appearances, and I really think the only reason they didn't give him a chance to coach a full season was because it would have just been too embarassing to hear him speak. I think everyone realized that, and none of the usual suspects demanded to know why he wasn't being given a "fair chance" to prove himself as coach.

GWTJ

Mentor
One of my favorite black basketball players was Quinn Buckner. A humble unassuming talent that worked hard and fit in very well wherever he played including the Boston Celtics towards the end of his career. He was old school and because of that he bombed miserably when given a chance to coach the Dallas Mavericks in 1993.

Buckner, a member of Indiana's 1976 undefeated team and a selfless hard worker, beleived in discipline and hard work. His reward for trying to instill that to his modern NBA players, a 1-23 start to the season and a final record of 13-69.

His quote when he got fired 2 days after the season was a classic. "Some of these players have no concept of the idea that you might actually have to work for something."

Hockaday

Guru
Bill Russell when he coached the Sacramento Kings. Hands down the worst coach ever. He didn't care. It was said he was more interested in his toy train set than running the Kings. No joke. Given the first pick in the draft he chose the immortal Pervis Ellison.

I remember one story. During training camp a white player, a low draft pick or free agent with no chance of making the team, walked by Russel and and as he did so Russel told him to go get him a cup of coffee. Mr. White Bright and Polite said sure and left on his errand. A black guy who was with Russel gave Russel a questioning look and Russel said, "Wouldn't you?"

Solomon Kane

Mentor
Bob Wade, coach of Univ. of Maryland Basketball team.

He replaced Lefty Driesell after the Len Bias death/incident.

In his first year, he had the worst record in the ACC, and, if memory serves me, won no games against ACC rivals.

Also, if memory serves me, he won some award, possibly even ACC coach of the year, because he had a lot of "close games" and was coaching "under difficult circumstances."

Unbelievable.

foreverfree

Mentor
bigunreal said:
Lenny Wilkins was also mediocre, but despite never winning anything, was given enough chances to fail so that he garnered an impressive number of career coaching victories.

Didn't Wilkens win an NBA title with Seattle?

John

bigunreal

Mentor
You're right- should have remembered that. He did win that title, but his career coaching record of 1315-1133 is pretty pedestrian. Wilkins probably wasn't the best example for me to cite as one of the worst black coaches.

Maury Wills is easily the most inept baseball manager ever. Heard he was crashing during most of early 80's with his crack addiction and all.

Frank Robinson - Yes indeed a retread that just won't go away. He said he still wanted to stay in the game to help create more oppurtunities for minorities. I hope he doesn't want to be a GM. It takes more than a big mouth to be successful. You have to master some negotiation skills to get trades done, and know how to run an organization. Sadly one of the better half of the black managers that have come through.

Jerry Royster - He was Interim Manager of the Brewers several years ago and in the mist of another putrid year Mike DeJean pretty chewed him and spit him out when he tried to remove him in Houston late that year(2002?). Rumor was he had no control of the clubhouse or how to relate to players.

white is right

Hall of Famer
bigunreal said:
You're right- should have remembered that. He did win that title, but his career coaching record of 1315-1133 is pretty pedestrian. Wilkins probably wasn't the best example for me to cite as one of the worst black coaches.
Wilkins is similar to Gene Mach, he is a hall of famer as a player and would be a very mariginal hall of famer as a coach. If he wasn't one of the first black coaches to win a championship(Russell was the first as a player coach), he would have to wait a long time to be inducted.

WHITE NOISE

Mentor
Tony Dungheap. Come on guys, the only way Phony Dungheap could have got to the Super Bowl without Manning would have been to buy a ticket. I'm sick of all the B.S. Plain and simpble, Peyton did it, not Phony Dungheap. Gary Coleman could have coached that team and got to the Super Bowl with Manning.

Eh.. Dungy isn't Vincent Lombardi or Bill Walsh but at least he's humble enough to known he can't run the offense better than a genius like Manning. A lot of blacks would let their ego get in the way of what's best for the team. Dungy sticks to what he knows defense and leaves the offense to Manning.

Personel wise he's like Ken Williams of the White Sox above average against the Caste System. They even mentioned it on CBS how he said that Whites were cast out of certain positions. Most White Coaches(Ex: Jack Del Rio, Barry Switzer) wouldn't have Alstott run as much as he did.

C Darwin

Mentor
castedoubt said:
Let's stick to the NFL. It would be interesting to go back 10 years and compare the records of all black coaches and see how it would compare with the NFL average.We really need good ammunition to show the Caste System the error of their ways.
The only error in the caste system is preferential treatment for minorities.

Bear Backer

Mentor
Not an NFL coach, but if talking about the worst coaches in history it seems only fair to mention truly the worst. Hands down Dusty Baker ex San FranciscoGiants/Chicago Cubs manager. Baker is a clown who knows absolutely nothing about the game of baseball and has done nothing but play the race card and the sympathy card his whole career to cover hisabsolute buffooneryand shortcomings as a manger. Dusty Baker that doesn't believe in stressing patience at the plate or taking walks because they "clog the bases" ,that says he doesn't believe in stressing fundamentals or taking extra fielding practice, that is suppose to be a motivational guru yet seems to always find his teams quitting on him or having a cancerous environment in the clubhouse. Dusty Baker the "man" and I use that term loosely, man ingender only,who has used his own son during press conferences to deflect hard questions that otherwise might me tossed his way by an angry media. After all no one wants to ask the Reverend Johnny B hard questions that might upset little Darren sitting on his lap. The guy who said that black players play better in the heat than white players and yet has dared to play the race card to his defense in the past. For example to cover for his teams failings in Chicagocomplained that it was all the racist Chicago fans fault because he was recieving death threats and raracist fanmail. When he was run out of San Francisco, he hinted that it was a racist town with a racist media. Mind you this is San Francisco he was talking about which makes it all more laughable. San Francisco the liberal paradise where anything goes and usually does.

Just to add an NFL coach to the mix. Greg "Blah" Blache is pretty damn bad. What Kind of defensive coach worth his salt believes that it is not important to put pressure on the quarterback? If you a playing against a QB like Tom Brady or Peyton Manning, you better bygod get some pressure on them or you better bring your lunch because it is gonna be a long day of getting yourbutt handed to you. Absolutely mind boggling that he was ever even considered for a job much less given one. Edited by: Bear Backer

WHITE NOISE

Mentor
Point taken Baseball Fan. However, I will remain anti- Phony Dungheap until he starts a white at corner, running back or wide reciever (on the end, not in the slot.) Regards.

Fair enough, you may want to add that to all head coaches since many won't start or even rotate a white corner, running back or wide receiver into a game these days. If one does start they won't get a second look if they get hurt or once the great black hope comes back off to the bench or practice squad they go.

The last positive thing I will say about Dungy is that he hasn't ruined a White Player's career anymore than an average coach and isn't ultra caste. Plus he didn't let his ego get in the way like Cito Gaston trying to make John Olerud into a power hitter when he was a natural gap and singles hitter. That almost ruined his career then he came to the Mets and resurrected it when left to do what he did best.Edited by: Baseball Fan

Troy_Bruno

I don't know about you guys, but is it any coicidence that last Super Bowl was the 1st ever with 2 black coaches, and it also was the most sloppiest, turnover ridden Super Bowl ever?

Watch a Grambling vs. Southern thing, you see the same thing.

Besides, Tony Dungy is like, 1/8th black maximum, from the look of it, so I think they should just layoff all that hoopla.

Let's not forget Lovie Smith. First black coach to lose the SB. If it weren't for Grossman and Urlacer, he would not even have a .500 season. Most of his assistant coaches have left. No wonder he is the lowest paid head coach.