Another Example

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
We know this goes on all over the country on a massive and unconscionable basis, as the occasional newspaper article lets on. It's even better to get first-hand accounts like this email received today:
I have a son who is a Senior Cornerback for his highschool here in Northeast GA. We have experienced the type of racism and stereotyping that you talk about on your site. He has been to numerous camps and combines, he consistenly tested in the higher ranges (elite) in the 40, the shuttle and the L drillwith the best db's in the state.

He has gone to camps and went one on one with some the highest ranked receivers in the state and did excellent, he has posted great numbers on the gridiron, with 69 tackles with a team high 40 solo, 6 interceptions , one returned for a td and 10 passes defended. Yet, in spite of all of his demonstrative skills he has had only twoD 1 AA schools offer him a chance to play football at the next level. His size could be a factor though he is identical in size to the number 1 ranked corner in the state who is 5' 10" and 170lbs. His times are also almost identical as this corners as well.

We have had coaches tell us that he is the wrong color to play corner at the next level and one school even came right out and told his coach that "I would be laughed out of the coaches meeting if I go back and recommend a white corner to my staff." Numerous other incidents have occured, too many to relate here. I'm glad you;re speaking out about this subject because it really is more than just a player not being good enoug, it is a real type of discrimination out there. My son has had to watch one corner after another rake in multiple offers all the while knowing that they are not as talented as he is. It's a shame. Keep up the good work.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
These are the stories that hit me right in the gut, thinking of how helpless and low this must make the family feel. Now knowing what is out there and that it is affecting your kid's chance to play college ball but not being able to do anything about it. Thats part of the reason why I do the work I do.Being ableto get the info out to people and show them where they cansend highlightfilmsto get more of a "fair" shot,maybe we can build some powerhouse white programs and expose the big lie as such.

It would help if people started naming names in regards to these recruiters that are saying these blatantly racist things. I've seen many accounts, but I can't remember even one that gave a name. If we knew who to shame, I'm sure we could muster some support in a campaign against these practices.

Edited by: reclaimsocal

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Good point reclaimsocal. I have long noticed that most people do not like to implicate others and will not usually name names. If they did though, a lot ofbad thingscould be stopped.

G

It was not football, but my high school track coach was good about this stuff. He was constantly talking the white runners down in distance and talking the black runners up, trying to get every guy to run the races they were best at, instead of the stereotyped events they had often picked out for themselves. He found a lot of good white 200 and 400 runners and good black 800 and 1600 runners that way.

If only most coaches could be smart like my track coach. He was a heck of an english teacher too. He held all of the students to a high standard and pushed them in the classroom.

These guys need to start taking recorders into their meetings. Put some of this crap on You Tube or something.
smiley7.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Intimidating avatar Animalmuther0!

whiteCB

Master
This stuff happens hundreds if not thousands of times every recruiting seasons. We all know people who have personally been given the shaft due to having the wrong skin color to play a certain position. If only we could funnel those victims over to this website and hear their stories as well. There is always strength in numbers.

Also it must be very rough to be a white cornerback in Georgia. I feel really sorry for the kid knowing how much ridicule he must have gone through.

foolsballnut

He has shut down every receiver he has gone against this year which includes some big time recruits. He actually has earned a great amount of respect from his coaches and the coaches of the teams he has faced. Its just a shame he hasnt gotten the respect of the college coaches yet.