Absurd Income Tax "Refunds"

Kaptain

Master
So is that money all truly a "refund". As in money that has been paid in some form of taxes but refunded back? Or, can people actually qualify to get paid money they never paid in?

4639= refund
-45amount of federal tax with held

If I could get Uncle Sam to refund my with holding in the samme 100 to 1 ratio I WOULD BE RICH.

Bronk

Mentor
Not to mention, Tired old White, that the feds "returned" her money without paying her interest for the period it was in their possession. But then they can also run a pyramid scheme called social security and yet arrest Bernie Madoff for doing the same damn thing.

white is right

Hall of Famer
There is no way somebody making that little money could ever have to pay that much in taxes. That has to low income supplementation of some kind. In Canada if you have a family and your income level is low the government can kick in an extra 400 a month per family.

icsept

Master
Earned income credit is a big welfare payment for single mothers. It's an incentive to not get married and to have more kids. You do need a job to get the credit. However, it is easily scammed: i.e., I know women who will claim self-employment as a babysitter, say they made $5,000.00, and get a big tax "refund" check even though they never paid in and didn't actually work.

I can accept the fact that some people pay no income taxes. But how can the government afford to just give this kind of money away?