2024 Outdoor season

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
I hope Tortu shows us something today - he's fallen off the past years, but it this is an Olympic year. If he is to 'comeback' this is the year to do it.
But honestly, I am worried that his best days are behind him.

Correa is in decent shape - he ran 20.45 200m earlier this season. Hope he's below 10.20 in the 100m today.

Abby Steiner is coming off injury and surgery. We'll get to see how well she has recovered. Just a few seasons ago, she was the new golden girl in women's sprinting.

Meanwhile, Matthew Boling is scheduled to run again, in the 400m.

Filippo Tortu 10.15 for last place in the 1st heat. Still, a very solid time...almost surprising. I was about ready to give up on him. Thankfully, I was wrong.

Correa did not start in the 2nd heat.

Abby Steiner won her heat in a very good time of 11.05. It seems that she is fully recovered, and we can hope for big things from her going forward.

Last edited:

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Abby Steiner won her heat in a very good time of 11.05. It seems that she is fully recovered, and we can hope for big things from her going forward.
From what I've read, Steiner had an 'atrocious' start in her race, and would have otherwise run a sub 11 time.
So that's good news and bad news, both.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Filippo Tortu 10.15 for last place in the 1st heat. Still, a very solid time...almost surprising. I was about ready to give up on him. Thankfully, I was wrong.

Correa did not start in the 2nd heat.

mastermulti

Master
3 Australian men jumped over 8m this weekend. Mitrevski won in 8.32 (27'3") Roper was the best qualifier in 8.14 (26'8") and Adcock 8.03 while Frayne was close with a 7.93.
200m was won by 20 year old Calab Law with a 20.54 (-1.1). The commentators are summing up as I type and showed Law almost catapulting out of his lane around the bend as his basic speed increases and reckon he'll run 20.30s when he sorts that out.
They also speculated he'll become our new 4x100 relay 3rd leg runner
Luke Boyes
, also 20, won the 800m in an excellent 1.44.73
Claudia Hollingsworth (19th birthday only 1 day before) won the 800m in another great time, 1.58.40 - a great birthday present. 3 other women broke 2 minutes in that race.
Ellie Beer, 21, won the 400m in a PB 51.59
Matt Denny threw the discus 69.35m for an Australian and Area record and "A" games qualifier
Nicole Olyslagers high jumped 2.01
The men's 1500m was not especially fast but the best depth we've seen in this country. Seven men in the 3.37 to 3.39 range - it was an intriguing race

Last edited:

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Some great performances from the Australian Championships - especially from the youngsters!
Thanks for the update.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
The Chinese athletes are becoming more competitive.

Just being honest here. They have almost 1.5 billion people in China. They are a country that does not mix. They are very strict in everything they do. I hate that they are communist but facts are facts. China will rule the whole world with an Iron Fist. They also will eventually go to
the top in athletics. It might take a few decades but they have the money, power and resources along with unlimited people to choose from!

SneakyQuick

Mentor
There are something like 50 ethic minorities in china but the overall population is 95% Han.

Much respect

mastermulti

Master
Agree. In fact the Chinese 4 x 100m record (done twice) of 37.79 is a very competitive time and indicates some depth coming through

SneakyQuick

Mentor
I don’t mind seeing the Chinese do well in sprints. It breaks up the narrative just a little bit.

Logos5

Guru
I don’t mind seeing the Chinese do well in sprints. It breaks up the narrative just a little bit.
I personally didn't mind it until they started making fun of Whites for being 'unathletic' as well, and using Castespeak just like all other normies do these days

white lightning

Hall of Famer

Femke Bol targets 400m hurdles defence at Roma 2024​

sprintstar

Mentor
In imperial measurements that is 16'4.9" difference..... 69.37M is still a very very good distance!

mastermulti

Master
In imperial measurements that is 16'4.9" difference..... 69.37M is still a very very good distance!
oh sure ..... but I was imagining how he'd think he could add another 5 metres after all the work he's already done to get to nearly 70m.
Will it drive him onwards or does he just mentally shrug and let it go. Obviously Alekna will have his ordinary days so I guess the attitude to take is you can beat anyone on the day if you perform to the best of your ability.

Ceh from Slovenia has been used to winning so it'll give him plenty to chase

mastermulti

Master
thought some of the old-timers here would be interested in this. I was looking up the quals and Australian under 20s team for Peru and found this... look who is our Director of Performance Sustainability. We knew he was a smart cookie!

"The World Athletics Under-20 Championships represent an important developmental opportunity for developing athletes. The Championships allow athletes, and their personal coaches, to practice planning a double periodised year, dealing with time change and travel, and being able to optimise their performance on the day of competition. As such, these Championships are an important part of the Athletics Australia Performance Pathway strategy, and are fully supported by Athletics Australia.

If anyone has further questions regarding these Championships, please contact Craig Pickering, Director of Performance Sustainability at craig.pickering@athletics.org.au.

Last edited:

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Is it the same Craig Pickering?
It seems likely...but Pickering was from England.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Is it the same Craig Pickering?
It seems likely...but Pickering was from England.

It is the same Craig Pickering. If you remember he did the bobsled thing for a while and then into coaching. He is a very smart man.
It's sad he never ran faster than that 10.13 wind legal. He had a windy 10.08 +2.1 in a race where he was 2nd to Usain Bolt in 2009.

mastermulti

Master
It is the same Craig Pickering. If you remember he did the bobsled thing for a while and then into coaching. He is a very smart man.
It's sad he never ran faster than that 10.13 wind legal. He had a windy 10.08 +2.1 in a race where he was 2nd to Usain Bolt in 2009.
yes, I remember that race clearly (I looked for it on youtube yesterday but couldn't find it) - I know posters were saying that "white guy was pretty fast".
Do you have a link WL?

Warhawk_46

Master
to be fair (I'll state here exactly what I truly believe so please read every word because I choose them carefully) I more likely said along these lines.
Fast sprinting needs a lot of tools in the shed. Sub Saharan blacks from west Africa would tend to have more of these tools than other peoples, including blacks from elsewhere on the globe. Their physical characteristics often lend themselves to jumps and sprint events.
Many more whites than we ever see do have a good number of these tools too and should be enciuraged to develop them (Chris Lemaitre probably had as much sheer speed as anyone but Bolt).
That's why I came here to keep apace.
I'm neither pro nor anti black (nor anyone else) - so when others imply black athletes are getting a free pass I just smh in disbelief and wonder how eyes can be closed.
Why do you think that is? It is not that Sub-Saharan people are naturally genetically superior at all.

Slavery meant too tiered black genes were bread which is why (obviously rampant drug use is also a huge factor) sprinters from the U.S. and Jamaica, for example, tend to do well.

It behooves white people to breed with other strong and athletic whites.

I strongly reject that Africans have better genes as we would then see them dominate. They don’t.