2023 U.S. Open

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Alcaraz moves into the quarterfinals with a straight set win. Hopefully Djokovic will get a rematch and win it, though I'm glad to see the rise of Alcaraz. We had the Big Three all-time greats to enjoy for so long but Federer is retired and time and injuries are catching up to Nadal. Djokovic is still going strong and I'd like to see Alcaraz be a premier player with durability to give Novak a rival and presumably replace him as the best at some point down the road. I'll always root for Djokovic though as he's one of my very favorite athletes ever, both for what he's done on the court and his character and how he handles himself off the court.

On the women's side, Swiatek was upset by Ostapenko in the fourth round and she will now face media darling Gauff in the quarters. As is often the case it's difficult to work up much interest for the girls but at least the Hulking Linebacker is finally (hopefully) finished as a contender, a day we thought might never arrive. If you follow tennis and golf, and even if you don't, you know how we've been bombarded with decades of non-stop corporate media worshiping of the Williams sisters and Tiger Woods, and hallelujah! they're finally finished with no one replacing them and no one likely to for a long time if ever.

icsept

Master
I’ve been watching quite a bit of the tournament. It’s been a lot of Coco Gauff hype, despite the fact she’s never won a major. Of course ESPN is making a big deal about the “first time two black Americans have met in the quarterfinals of a major.” Such a trivial event doesn’t need to be mentioned. Also, ESPN is still refusing to show a Russian flag or type the word “Russia” next to the Russian players’ names. So childish.

Anyway, it looks like a collision course for Djokovic and Alcaraz. That should be an amazing final.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I’ve been watching quite a bit of the tournament. It’s been a lot of Coco Gauff hype, despite the fact she’s never won a major. Of course ESPN is making a big deal about the “first time two black Americans have met in the quarterfinals of a major.” Such a trivial event doesn’t need to be mentioned. Also, ESPN is still refusing to show a Russian flag or type the word “Russia” next to the Russian players’ names. So childish.

Anyway, it looks like a collision course for Djokovic and Alcaraz. That should be an amazing final.

I agree but Novak can't afford any more 5 setter matches before the final. He almost lost the other day. Epic comeback. I want him to put
some distance between him and Nadal. I would like to see him be the greatest ever!

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member

Childish is the right word for the U.S. establishment. Also infantile, ruthless, third worldish and a lot of other negative adjectives.

Hoping big time for Novak to rub it in their faces by winning the title, not that psychopaths are capable of feeling guilt or remorse.

Matra2

Master
They just ejected some guy from the stadium during the Zverev v Sinner match because Zverev claimed he heard someone yell 'Hitler's most famous" words. Who knows if he actually heard that or if the wrong guy was ejected. Of course, alcohol during long matches can lead to all kinds of fan behaviour but libtard Patrick McEnroe, despite not hearing it himself, automatically praised Zverev for taking a stand.

Anyway, gruelling match now in the fifth set at 1am NY time. Looks like Alcarez, who plays the winner, will practically walk into the semi-final.

It also looks like Francis "BLM" Tiafoe will be a semi-finalist for the second consecutive year. He'll likely play Djokovic who may have a difficult match on Tuesday as it is an afternoon match and expected to be the hottest day of the tournament.

icsept

Master
Women’s semifinals tonight. Coco v Muchova and Madison Keys v Sabalenka. I expect an easy win for Sabalenka against the mystery meat Keys. Coco Gauff is on a roll and I expect her to win with the full support of the crowd. Gauff has been overhyped, but I respect her efforts and she is much less objectionable than the Williams sisters.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Sabalenka was wiped out 0-6 in the first set against Madison Keys but then won the next two sets in tiebreakers to move on to the final against Gauff. The match didn't end until around 1 in the morning NYC time. Should be an interesting final as Sabalenka recently moved up to first in the endless merry go round of women's world rankings.

Matra2

Master
Djokovic defeats arrogant mixed race Ben Shelton in straight sets then mocks his telephone celebration to the seething anger of the hostile New York crowd - and Shelton himself who was surly during the hand shake. I love it!

NikoDuke

Mentor
I interpreted the handshake as Djokovic being the Alpha and setting the tone. He was rightfully bothered by the overtly anti White crowd & how they behaved.
Here's the video of the last point and mocking celebration.

icsept

Master
Djokovic defeats arrogant mixed race Ben Shelton in straight sets then mocks his telephone celebration to the seething anger of the hostile New York crowd - and Shelton himself who was surly during the hand shake. I love it!
Hilarious. Novak is the alpha dog.

Matra2

Master
I interpreted the handshake as Djokovic being the Alpha and setting the tone. He was rightfully bothered by the overtly anti White crowd & how they behaved.

The same tennis journalists who welcomed Shelton's irreverence and spunk are crying that it was unbecoming of a 36 year old man (Djokovic) to humiliate the 20 year old Shelton. When I was growing up it was common to say "if you are going to dish it out you better learn how to take it".

SneakyQuick

Mentor
What they really mean is they don’t want to see a white guy talking trash or bullying. Doesn’t fit the narrative of weak white men.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Medvedev is up 2 sets to 1 and it's tied at 1 game a piece in the 4th set. Hope this talented Russian can pull the upset to make
the media and fans cringe.

NikoDuke

Mentor
What they really mean is they don’t want to see a white guy talking trash or bullying. Doesn’t fit the narrative of weak white men.
Bingo..

I recall a few years back in a college tennis match between a black and a white competitor who were trash talking the whole match. The white athlete got suspended because he hurt the black athlete feelings. I believe he said something to the effect of at least I know who my father is

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Medvedev is up 2 sets to 1 and it's tied at 1 game a piece in the 4th set. Hope this talented Russian can pull the upset to make
the media and fans cringe.
It's a brilliant match, such high quality play. Medvedev now up 5-2 in the fourth set. . .

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Medvedev closes it out. Should be a memorable match against The Joker that Djokovic hopefully wins. If Novak loses the silver lining will be that the championship was won by a man from The Country That Shall Not Be Named.

jphoss

Mentor

Love the dick swaggering walk to the net after the finish too! We need more of that

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Love the dick swaggering walk to the net after the finish too! We need more of that
He’s awesome! I’m not even a tennis fan really but I’d rank Novak among my top 5 favorite athletes. I have a great respect for him as an athlete and as a man.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I have one thing to say to Novak Djokovic today.

LETS GO! LETS DO THIS! It's NOVAK's TIME TO SHINE! :number_one:

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Djokovic won the 1st set. He trails in the 2nd set 6 games to 5. He will serve to try and push it to a tie breaker in the 2nd set.

This match has turned into a war. Both guys are exhausted already. Especially Novak but he has the heart & courage of a Lion.
It's too close too call but if Nadal can comeback and go up 2 sets to 0 I think he just might win in straight sets. However if Medvedev
wins this set he looks to have a slight advantage due to youth and being fresher at the moment.

NikoDuke

Mentor
It's been amazing tennis to watch so far but, I'm calling that Novak is winning this..

Matra2

Master
Djokovic has looked heavy-legged throughout the match but it looks like he's going to win #24.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Djokovic has looked heavy-legged throughout the match but it looks like he's going to win #24.
He did it. 24 Grand Slams. This is Epic. I'm might just have to go to Dennys Restaurant to celebrate.
A Grand Slam sounds good about now. Congrats to the Greatest Tennis Player the World has ever seen!

He should be talked about with guys like Jordan but of course we know that he won't be nearly as much do to his
white skin and how much the media hates elite white athletes. He is the BEST of All Time!