2023 NFL Week 4

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Going into tonight I thought the Steelers or the Jets had the worst offensive lines. Now I think it’s clear that the Giants with their sumo tackles take the cake. Poor Daniel Jones. When he’s not getting hit immediately in the backfield, then he’s got his afflete receivers like Campbell running wrong routes.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Aikman just talking about how the Giants have drafted o-linemen early for years, all of them sumo tackles if memory serves, and their line is still awful. Of course they cut to a perp shot of a random White guard standing on the sideline.

The level of play of sumo tackles in the league, with exceptions of course, is atrocious.

Offensive line play is awful around the league outside of a few solid teams. I've tried to stop making sense or applying rationale to the way these teams with their supposed personnel experts and millions invested in scouting continue to rely on the same physical characteristics to make decisions. The caste system really fries everyone brain as they view it as the be all end all when team building.

As a Bears fan since '85, it's hard to express the misery of following this team. I have to say though, the fans who were total Justin Fields nuthuggers, have started to turn on him and many are actually calling for the white UDFA 2nd string QB to start the rest of the year.

Bears rookie quarterback Tyson Bagent is on the Bears’ game-day roster and serving as their second-string quarterback for the first time Sunday.

Veteran Nathan Peterman, who was the team’s second-stringer the first three games of the season, will serve as the emergency quarterback. He can only play if starter Justin Fields and Bagent both get hurt.

From small Shepherd University, Bagent was preseason darling, making the team out of training camp.

“He’s working hard in practice every day,” quarterbacks coach Andrew Janocko said of Bagent on Thursday afternoon. “He studies like a pro. He mimics guys that are in front of him. He mimics the other guys in the room ... He’s working. He’s developing. He’s figuring it out.”

Warhawk_46

Master
Aikman just talking about how the Giants have drafted o-linemen early for years, all of them sumo tackles if memory serves, and their line is still awful. Of course they cut to a perp shot of a random White guard standing on the sideline.

The level of play of sumo tackles in the league, with exceptions of course, is atrocious.
I said something similar in another thread. For every Trent Williams, a black, dominant tackle, there are a thousand sumo busts.

White men are typically much better tackles.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Offensive line play is awful around the league outside of a few solid teams. I've tried to stop making sense or applying rationale to the way these teams with their supposed personnel experts and millions invested in scouting continue to rely on the same physical characteristics to make decisions. The caste system really fries everyone brain as they view it as the be all end all when team building.
Here in Chiefs-land the sumo on the left, Donovan Smith, is only signed to a one-year deal and it's doubtful that they will resign him for big bucks although he has been somewhat decent this year. Fans are clamoring to somehow get Joe Alt in the next draft. Imagine that, a white tackle! It's all about bloodlines with dad being a all-time great Chief. I concur with them, left side of the line would be set for the next decade.

jphoss

Mentor

When the Giants won their 2 sb their oline was very good and if I remember correctly they either had a snowplow or 4/5 white linemen.

Warhawk_46

Master
When the Giants won their 2 sb their oline was very good and if I remember correctly they either had a snowplow or 4/5 white linemen.
Right… and yet, every team is looking to darken their rosters and even their offensive lines.

It defies all logic; it is the classic case of don’t trust what you see with your own eyes but trust the “experts.”

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Here in Chiefs-land the sumo on the left, Donovan Smith, is only signed to a one-year deal and it's doubtful that they will resign him for big bucks although he has been somewhat decent this year. Fans are clamoring to somehow get Joe Alt in the next draft. Imagine that, a white tackle! It's all about bloodlines with dad being a all-time great Chief. I concur with them, left side of the line would be set for the next decade.

I'd rather Alt go to a team with a White QB!