2023 Masters

icsept

Master
The bucket list event starts tomorrow.
Of course, Tiger will be a big story. The only story is whether he will make the cut. If he does, the question will be whether he quits in the 4th round as his game falls apart.

Another big story is that 18 LIV players are in the field, including 6 former champions. I commend the Masters for allowing these players to compete. However, they have buried the LIV golfers with insignificant groups. I’d love to see some of these guys on the leaderboard.

My pick: Justin Thomas gets his first green jacket.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Well, my heart is with Spieth, but I'm looking for Scheffler to repeat. Justin Thomas is a good pick as well. I will also I'll be following my local favorite, the other JT. JT Poston. He went head to head with Scheffler in the Match play last week only to lose on the last hole. I'm hoping he makes a good showing.
Scheffler
Spieth
Thomas
McIIroy
JT Poston
My top 5.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Watching some of the Golf Channel, so far not much to see except mostly Tiger practicing. They're following his every move. To no surprise.
There's an amateur atop the leaderboard early.
1. McClean -1
many t-2 including former winner Mike Weir, Scott Stallings, Couples, Kokrak(LIV), etc.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Rich Lerner of the Golf Channel is a disgrace. Intelligent but always uses his position to constantly shift most of the attention to Woods and of course the other announcers on set have to play along whether they're inwardly seething or not.

This clown is actually still going on like Woods has a decent chance to win. It's still Tiger's peak year of 2000 to him, a mere 23 years ago. Woods has played all of three tournaments in the past two years, withdrew from one, missed the cut in another, and finished 45th in the other one. His Tiger worship is an act in furtherance of an agenda and he'll never let up on it.

BeyondFedUp

Hall of Famer
Woods finished the day tied for 54th and +2. How's Lerner doing? Does he need to lie down or get counseling? I'm glad I didn't see the worshipfest Don was talking about...

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Woods finished the day tied for 54th and +2. How's Lerner doing? Does he need to lie down or get counseling? I'm glad I didn't see the worshipfest Don was talking about...
That is why America has become the laughing stock of the world. The worship of them is disgusting and it's not just Woods.

I just want Tiger to "hit that little stinger shot that he loves to hit." All these years later, and I still don't know what Gary McCord means by that. I doubt he does either. Pray for good weather.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Usually for the first couple of rounds at The Masters there's a few obscure players on the first page of the leaderboard, but not today. It's an all-world group at the top led by Jon Rahm, Brooks Koepka and Victor Hovland at -7. Right behind them are names like Day, Schauffle, Scott, Burns, Rose, Morikawa and Spieth. The only exception to the top names is U.S. Amateur champion Sam Bennett, who had a bogey free -4 round.

Rory McIlroy once again had a disappointing first round in his bid to complete the career grand slam, finishing at even par.

The weather is going to change big-time starting tomorrow with lots of rain in the forecast and also some cold temps for this time of year in Augusta by Saturday and Sunday. So following today's low scores it may look more like a rainy, windy, chilly British Open the next three rounds, with the survivor of the fittest emerging on Sunday evening wearing the green jacket.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Second Round Leaderboard:
1. Koepka -12. Surprisingly well ahead in first place.
2. Bennett (A) -8. Another surprise. The amateur in solo second place.
T-3 Hovland -7
T-3 Rahm -7
5 Morikawa -6
T6 Spieth -5
T6 Day -5
T6 Rose -5
T6 Burns -5
T6 Lowry -5
T6 Young -5
T21 Scheffler -2
T21 Thomas -2
T50 Woods +2. on hole 6. cut line is currently +2.
T52 McIIroy +3. needs another birdie to make the cut. Currently on hole 15.
I'm finished trying to predict a winner. Right now, the only one of my picks in contention to win is Spieth and he's 7 shots back. He had two double bogeys yesterday or he would be right there. He needs a few birdies going in to have a chance.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Second Round Leaderboard:
1. Koepka -12. Surprisingly well ahead in first place.
2. Bennett (A) -8. Another surprise. The amateur in solo second place.
T-3 Hovland -7
T-3 Rahm -7
5 Morikawa -6
T6 Spieth -5
T6 Day -5
T6 Rose -5
T6 Burns -5
T6 Lowry -5
T6 Young -5
T21 Scheffler -2
T21 Thomas -2
T50 Woods +2. on hole 6. cut line is currently +2.
T52 McIIroy +3. needs another birdie to make the cut. Currently on hole 15.
I'm finished trying to predict a winner. Right now, the only one of my picks in contention to win is Spieth and he's 7 shots back. He had two double bogeys yesterday or he would be right there. He needs a few birdies going in to have a chance.
Looks like Woods will need some help to make the cut. He's currently +3. If Justin Thomas or Sung ge Im drop to +3 He will make it.
Sadly, McIIlroy missed the cut.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Looks like Woods will need some help to make the cut. He's currently +3. If Justin Thomas or Sung ge Im drop to +3 He will make it.
Sadly, McIIlroy missed the cut.
Well, Woods' ol buddy Justin Thomas has let him in the final two rounds. Woods makes the cut at +3. Looks like a lot Woods salivation the rest of the weekend.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Well, Woods' ol buddy Justin Thomas has let him in the final two rounds. Woods makes the cut at +3. Looks like a lot Woods salivation the rest of the weekend.
Justin Thomas missed the cut BTW. +4.
Fred Couples became the oldest player to make the cut at the Masters at 63 years and 187 days. Couples surpasses Berhard Langer who was 63 years and 80 days in 2020 when he made the cut.

icsept

Master
The bucket list event starts tomorrow.
Of course, Tiger will be a big story. The only story is whether he will make the cut. If he does, the question will be whether he quits in the 4th round as his game falls apart.

Another big story is that 18 LIV players are in the field, including 6 former champions. I commend the Masters for allowing these players to compete. However, they have buried the LIV golfers with insignificant groups. I’d love to see some of these guys on the leaderboard.

My pick: Justin Thomas gets his first green jacket.
And, Tiger makes the cut and quits. I should have put a bet on it.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The leaders still have to finish a good portion of the third round today and then play the final round. There's supposed to be little to no rain in great contrast to Friday and Saturday.

As of now it's mostly a Koepka vs. Rahm battle but there's still a lot of holes left for others to make a move. This should be a very interesting day. Kopeka was close to unbeatable in the majors for a couple years before fading, due in significant part to injuries. He's the Alpha of all Alphas in the world of golf when he's on.

In the meantime, ultra-left, anti-White ESPN is getting some negative feedback for ignoring three-time Masters champion Phil Mickeleson, who's on the fringes of contention at the age of 52, while Tiger Woods is being treated as if he's on the first page of the leaderboard. Outkick wrongly and predictably attributes the snub of Mickelson to the LIV vs. PGA thing, but of course that's not what it's about. Woods btw withdrew from the final round due to injury.

Flint

Mentor
Woods out of contention and quitting. LOL he’s becoming more and more like Serena every year.

Honestly I bet he was pissed making the cut and having to play in that mess yesterday.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
In the meantime, ultra-left, anti-White ESPN is getting some negative feedback for ignoring three-time Masters champion Phil Mickeleson, who's on the fringes of contention at the age of 52, while Tiger Woods is being treated as if he's on the first page of the leaderboard. Outkick wrongly and predictably attributes the snub of Mickelson to the LIV vs. PGA thing, but of course that's not what it's about. Woods btw withdrew from the final round due to injury.

As it turns out, Mickelson shot a sizzling final round 65 and is currently tied for second at -8, not that anyone at hate corporation ESPN cares or feels badly about ignoring Phil all week.

Rahm is -10 after ten holes, Koepka has fallen to -8. Would love to see Rahm play the role of Greg Norman in 1986 and choke, which allowed Jack Nicklaus to win the greatest Masters of them all, but it's very unlikely to happen as the back nine is easier at Augusta than the front nine and Rahm isn't a choker like Norman was. However it turns out, Mickelson has amazed yet again, two years after winning the PGA at the age of 50.

Jordan Spieth also played a great final round but once again hit an ill-timed wild shot (his tee shot on 18) that cost him a chance to finish at -9 and really put the pressure on Rahm. He finished instead at -7.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Happy for Phil and his beautiful family. Despite finishing 2nd he is truely a class act.

Like in Tennis with the Williams Worship I look forward to the day Woods walks away forever. It's so hard
to listen to these matches as he can do no wrong in their eyes. It's so unfair to all the other great players!

BeyondFedUp

Hall of Famer
Hats off to Lefty for finishing 2nd and nailing the best score of the round at 65. He deserves a lot more attention than somebody, er, um, what's his name again?

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Pretty good Masters Tournament although once Rahm got the lead he never flinched and brought it home as a champion does. No one really challenged him. It was nice seeing Phil and Jordan make a run late.
Phil becomes the oldest top 5 finisher in Masters history.
Spieth with his top 5 finish has the most top 5 Masters finishes, (6) under 30 years old. I believe he's really close to being the old Jordan Spieth
The PGA is in May and I will be pulling for Spieth to win and secure the Grand Slam. Only 6 golfers in history have done it.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Hats off to Lefty for finishing 2nd and nailing the best score of the round at 65. He deserves a lot more attention than somebody, er, um, what's his name again?
I wonder if it was normal Masters weather would we be talking about the oldest winner ever as he seemed to explode on the Sunday afternoon round while he had a bad Saturday when the weather was damp and cold which is much harder on a 50 year+ old when it comes to muscle looseness.

Last edited:

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Rahm did a brilliant job of closing out the tournament once he got a multiple stroke lead. He played conservatively and very effectively with no mistakes in execution. This Masters lacked the high drama of many recent ones, with few trademark "roars" from the gallery after great shots and no serious challenge to Rahm's lead, yet like it always is it was still a lot of fun to watch.

Jon Rahm has added his name to the list of great Spanish golfers -- in fact he became the first European player to win both The Masters and U.S. Open -- so now, like the other stars who have emerged over the past decade, we'll see if his rise to the top of golf is long-standing or more of the temporary variety as has been the case with the others.

jphoss

Mentor
Great showing for liv with 3 top 10 finishes and glad for Phil. Hopefully this sparks him and he can bag another major