2023 British Open Championship

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
The fourth and final Major Championship of the year is being led by a 6'8 South African named Christo Lamprecht. Currently at 4 under with a chance to go -5 at the par 5 18th. Always look forward to what I still call The British Open.
1. Lamprecht-4
2. Cink -3
2. Siem -2
T9. Reed -1
T9. Spieth -1 Spieth but could in a tie for second, but made a double on number 8.
T9, Scheffler -1
It's early and still alot of good players yet to tee off including Rory McIIroy.
As usual I'm pulling for Spieth, but I like McIIroy as well as Scheffler.

icsept

Master
Spieth with a nice -2, but predictably ends his round with a bogey. Huge galleries at Royal Liverpool. Watching the coverage on USA network, seems like a ton of commercials.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Brian Harman shot a 65 in the second round today and currently has a six shot lead with other players still finishing their round. Harman is 36 and has won just two PGA tournaments in his career, though is currently ranked 26th in the world rankings as he's been playing well lately. Nothing against Harman, but there's few things I dislike in golf more than a nondescript player winning one of the majors, so here's hoping he fades over the final two rounds and doesn't triumph.

SneakyQuick

Mentor
Brian Harman shot a 65 in the second round today and currently has a six shot lead with other players still finishing their round. Harman is 36 and has won just two PGA tournaments in his career, though is currently ranked 26th in the world rankings as he's been playing well lately. Nothing against Harman, but there's few things I dislike in golf more than a nondescript player winning one of the majors, so here's hoping he fades over the final two rounds and doesn't triumph.
I guess you’re not for the underdog huh? The guy is playing the best golf of his life, what’s not to like?

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Brian Harman started off the third round shaky and then found his game and ended with a fine round of 2 under. He goes into the final round at -12 and a five shot lead over Cameron Young, the only other American in the top 16. Jon Rahm shot a sizzling 63 and is third at -6 while Jason Day, Tommy Fleetwood, Seth Straka and Antoine Rozner all are at -5. Jordan Spieth is tied for 17th at -2.

Harman hung tough today and seems to have the stuff to finish off the championship. We'll know tomorrow. It will be one of the biggest upsets in recent years if he does, somewhat reminiscent of when Ben Curtis came out of nowhere to win the British Open in 2003, followed by Todd Hamilton the next year.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Yeah. I get it. Nothing personal against Harman, he played well again today and held on to the lead. -12. It's a little frustrating not to seeing most the top 10 players in the world close or even pressuring Harman. For me it would make for a better Open if Rory, Scheffler, Spieth, Thomas and others in the mix. World number 3 John Rahm did make a run today firing a -8, but is still 6 strokes behind Harman. Number 5 Hovland is 7 strokes back at -5. McIIlroy is 9 back. Spieth 10 back. It will take a monumental collapse for Harman to lose now.
Hopefully some will make a run at Harman and make for a more exciting Open Championship.

NikoDuke

Mentor
I like may would prefer to see a "bigger" name with the Open but, it's not like Harman is an unknown whose win would be a major shock. He's placed in top 10 last year and came in 2nd in the US Open the year Koepka won. He's a legit player.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Harman ended up lapping the field, a truly dominant performance by him. He also all but clinched a spot on the U.S. Ryder Cup team for that upcoming huge event in September.

It was the least compelling of this year's majors what with a runaway win, miserable weather, and an unlikely winner, but I hope Brian Harman is a late bloomer and wins other Tour events after ending his six year winless drought today and continues to be a factor in the majors for a while now.

icsept

Master
Harman seems like a good guy, and a deserving winner. Hopefully somebody called his parents and told them to turn on the TV. Nobody else cared.