2022 NFL Playoffs Divisional Round

El Gringo

Mentor
Mahommes is looking sharp as usual despite being hurt. Hopefully the bengals big defensive ends can wear him down.

This loss is on Shanahan for not having a decent backup QB once Garappolo got hurt. There's a reason Johnson's been on 50 different teams or whatever it is and Johnson was the backup not the third stringer with Garappolo out. Having a contingency in place for an injury to Purdy was a basic that was completely ignored.
The lack of a challenge on that 4th down catch in the 1st Q also falls on Shanahan. In addition to the Purdy injury, that "catch" on 4th down was the major turning point in the game. I know it happened quickly but in the first half you can easily afford to lose a timeout by challenging a play of such magnitude, and the 49ers would have won the challenge.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The lack of a challenge on that 4th down catch in the 1st Q also falls on Shanahan. In addition to the Purdy injury, that "catch" on 4th down was the major turning point in the game. I know it happened quickly but in the first half you can easily afford to lose a timeout by challenging a play of such magnitude, and the 49ers would have won the challenge.
No question, it's very rare when there isn't time for a challenge flag to be thrown and it certainly should have been thrown for that important play. Between that and having to play Johnson, this wasn't Shanahan's best day.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Hurts was playing with a shoulder injury that restricted his passing and running ability. He indeed wasn't anything more than ok today, but for much of the season he was a very effective runner and passer. He may well end up being the league MVP this year. But I'd say other than Hurts, Mahomes and Geno Smith 2022 has been a notably poor season for Black QBs.

You are right but it won't stop the league from getting blacker and blacker at the position. This year's draft features 3 of the top 4 QBs in the draft as black where we stand currently prior to the annual pre-draft circuit.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
You are right but it won't stop the league from getting blacker and blacker at the position. This year's draft features 3 of the top 4 QBs in the draft as black where we stand currently prior to the annual pre-draft circuit.
I'm well aware, the push has been going on for a long time and only gets worse over time. But you gotta chuckle at how in spite of it good old Whitey is still holding his own at the position.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
NIce drive by the Bengals there. Burrow as usual is as smooth as advertised. He can keep the Bengals in this game. The defense
is doing great holding Mahomes to 2 field goals so far.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
I'm well aware, the push has been going on for a long time and only gets worse over time. But you gotta chuckle at how in spite of it good old Whitey is still holding his own at the position.

Honestly, if you look at the HS pipelines and recruiting the position is getting blacker just due to sheer numbers at the position. Like every other position it's just magically becoming blacker at the ground level. It's a numbers game. I certainly appreciate the White QBs in the game, Purdy being the most pleasant surprise of the 2022 season (let's hope his injury doesn't hurt his long term prospects). I will say that the "art" of being a QB has certainly changed.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly, if you look at the HS pipelines and recruiting the position is getting blacker just due to sheer numbers at the position. Like every other position it's just magically becoming blacker at the ground level. It's a numbers game. I certainly appreciate the White QBs in the game, Purdy being the most pleasant surprise of the 2022 season (let's hope his injury doesn't hurt his long term prospects). I will say that the "art" of being a QB has certainly changed.
One of the crowning achievements of The Great Replacement will be when/if most NFL QBs become Black. I don't think I see the issue any differently than you do, as the racial slotting at QB now begins at the earliest ages just as it does at other positions. We just disagree on the best way to present our arguments and evidence.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
One of the crowning achievements of The Great Replacement will be when/if most NFL QBs become Black. I don't think I see the issue any differently than you do, as the racial slotting at QB now begins at the earliest ages just as it does at other positions. We just disagree on the best way to present our arguments and evidence.

I'll be curious to see what happens to the NFL when it gets to that point to be honest. The NBA seems to be propped up more and more by television contracts, advertising, sports apparel corporations rather than attendance to games. I'll admit I still am emotionally invested in the QB position but it has dulled recently. I'll have no problem tuning out of the NFL once it reaches NBA levels (can't remember the last time I watched an NBA game...probably the Mavericks with Nash and Nowitzki).

SneakyQuick

Mentor
A Super Bowl with two black quarterbacks would please the nfl but it will turn a fair amount of fans off.

The nba has a very black fan base and attendance and viewership has fallen way off. I honestly am not sure how the league stays afloat.

The nfl will likely get there and then their numbers will suffer as well. The product on the field is not as good as it once was, and inevitably people will tune out.

The worst part is the taxpayers are on the hook for paying for their ridiculous stadiums, so if they aren’t filled, guess who pays?

It just occurred to me that if the 49ers and Bengals had won today it would have been the NFL’s 2 whitest teams facing off the in the Super Bowl. Ie the teams that discriminate against White players the least are the most successful, which is a pattern every year.

Last edited:

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Even though I never got to watch Joe Namath with the Jets and the Super Bowl Upset he pulled off. HIs nickname was "Joe Cool" although
he had many nick names. I do remember seeing him on reruns of the Brady Bunch in the one episode. It was kind of cool.

I nominate Joe Burrow the new "Joe Cool". The guy just seems to have the poise similar to a Tom Brady. I'm said this before but his
game is very impresssive. Hope they can keep blocking well for him and give this young kid a chance to pull of the upset!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
We got a tie ball game. First Half they sacked Joe Burrow 4 times. In the 2nd half so far 0 sacks. Way to man up Oline!

TwentyTwo

Master
Sam Hubbard MONSTER Fumble Recovery of Mahomes! Another game changer in the Playoffs!

4th & 6....Burrow 35 yard pass on the money to Chase!

20- 20 early 4th qtr!

icsept

Master
Burrow with the clutch 4th down conversion. Mahomes has made some good throws, but has also been sloppy and reckless with the ball.

Ol' reliable Eli Apple with the hold. He helped blow the Bengals super bowl last year with his bad coverage despite talking a big game.