2022 NFL Draft

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Wanting to see Plumlee run like crazy and being disappointed he got benched, I did become a Corral fan. The kid has grit and should be a good pro.....
Keeping up with Mike Epstein all those years, I did enjoy watching linebacker Jake Hansen .....I hope someone gives him a shot..

Plumlee should get a chance at UCF. It's too bad Epstein's career was derailed by injuries. Hansen took a scary hit a few years ago - I thought he was a very good player but when getting hit/concussed like that it may be better to medically retire rather than risk further head trauma.

THANKS Leonardfan for compiling that list! Y'all have a finger on the NFL Draft pulse ...every year there's a "Select" number..then there is what it should be

This NFL Mock Draft Simulator is kind of cool....i go on normal speed option ; try to pay attention to entire Draft ..while you are focused on your team's picks.
Good luck on your Draft
https://www.profootballnetwork.com/mockdraft/

Noticed LB Troy Andersen climbing now in 2nd Round 41st pick...
WR Alec Pierce early 3rd/70th....two other white WR's Kyle Phillips-UCLA was Round 5? Tanner Connor at #262 Mr Irrelevant?.....Curious to see which team Britian Covey will be playing for?

Looks like only one white RB was on the Draft board in the Similation .... Zander Horvath went late in the 7th round. Did not see Max Borghi on here...thought he could go anywhere from 4th -6th round. We shall see.

This Mock Draft had 2 white DB's being selected..Sterling Weatherford(will he move to LB at 6'-4" 220?) and Wisconsin's Scott Nelson too.....despite not being invited to NFL Combine!
...Inviting ZERO white DB's to the NFL Combine in 2022 is a PERFECT example of WHY i am here on CF!! Still irks me Reed Blankenship & Nolan Turner were not invited! And no doubt a few of those UDFA's will land on 53 man roster...
.....When making the 2021 Defensive Back thread last Summer really thought this could be the year we saw at least 4 white DB's drafted!
That draft simulator tool looks pretty interesting! I'll do a 7 round Chiefs mock later tonight.

(Should I post the results here or in the Chiefs subforum? I don't want to add any unnecessary clutter.)

Red Raider

Mentor
One player I completely overlooked in the draft process is Pitt LB John Petrishen. He played S at Penn State for 4 years before transferring to Pitt and becoming a starting LB after 2 more years on the bench. He showed elite athleticism at his pro day, something about the guys who come from Penn State. Unbelievable that an athlete like Petrishen can rot on the bench for 6 years before getting a chance to start as a 7th year senior because of an extra Covid season. Petrishen had a very impressive high school athletic background playing S/KR/PR and also participating in basketball and track.

LB John Petrishen - Pitt
6’1” 227lbs
40: 4.55
3 cone: 6.97
Shuttle: 4.18
Vert: 38 1/2”
Broad: 10’
Bench: 20 reps

I'll just post the mock here, since the team subforums have been mainly used for news, highlighting specific players, and season previews. I've put the pick explanations in a spoiler so they don't take up too much room. Overall, 8 of the 12 players I selected were white (marked with an asterisk), and that number would've been higher if cornerback wasn't such a dire need.

*29. Bernhard Raimann, OT, Central Michigan
The Chiefs are set across their offensive line except for tackle. Raimann will immediately challenge Lucas Niang for the right tackle spot, and eventually supplant Orlando Brown at left tackle if they don't resign him after this year.
30. Kyler Gordon, CB, Washington
Kansas City's cornerback room was enough of an embarrassment last year, and on top of that they've lost 2 of their 3 starting corners from that unit. They absolutely have to address the position early in the draft, and Gordon is the last of the top tier guys available. He can play outside and push Rashad Fenton back to the slot where he belongs, or play in the slot himself if necessary (more on that later).
*50. Alec Pierce, WR, Cincinnati
The Chiefs haven't had a true X receiver since Dwayne Bowe. Tyreek Hill is good at beating press coverage, but he's not the best at high-pointing jump balls (and now he's gone anyway). Patrick Mahomes will appreciate Pierce's massive catch radius in the red zone, and Pierce has the long speed to take the top off of a defense too.
*62. Cameron Thomas, DE, San Diego State
After barely missing out on George Karlaftis in round 1, Thomas isn't a bad consolation prize. He fits exactly what the Chiefs look for in edge rushers and should immediately start across from Frank Clark, allowing Chris Jones to move back to his natural position at defensive tackle. (If I was the actual GM of the Chiefs, I probably would've been thrown out of the draft room following this selection.)
94. Sam Williams, DE, Ole Miss
Speaking of Clark, he hasn't really lived up to his enormous contract anyway, and I don't see the Chiefs keeping him past next year. A player with Williams' skill would normally go much higher, but he's been tumbling down draft boards due to concerns about his behavior (he was charged with sexual battery at college), so it's only natural that the team that gambled on Willie Gay two years ago would take a swing at Williams.
103. Zyon McCollum, CB, Sam Houston
Right, so about that cornerback room. McCollum is a project, sure, but he is a gifted athlete with the perfect tools to excel in Kansas City's press-man scheme. If they can mold him into a starting outside corner, great, Gordon can replace Fenton in the slot. If not, no big deal, Gordon can play outside and the Chiefs can get by with Fenton in the slot.
*121. Sterling Weatherford, S, Miami (Ohio)
The Chiefs replaced Tyrann Mathieu with Justin Reid this offseason, but with Daniel Sorensen also gone, Reid will need another white player to yell at every time someone on the opposite side of the field makes a big play. Enter Weatherford, who can play as a third safety along with Reid and Juan Thornhill, or as a situational box linebacker.
*135. JoJo Domann, LB, Nebraska
Speaking of which, the Chiefs still haven't replaced Ben Niemann at the third linebacker spot, and no, Jermaine Carter doesn't count. Like Weatherford, Domann will make an immediate mark on special teams, but should be able to carve out a starting role fairly early. The Chiefs fans on Reddit will now have a new duo of
*233. Zander Horvath, FB, Purdue
The Chiefs lack a true short yardage running back, and Horvath fills that need perfectly. He can be their primary goal line threat if they let Michael Burton walk after this year, and with Darrel Williams and Jericho McKinnon both gone, it's not impossible that he has a chance to fight for starting snaps at running back in a Peyton Hillis-style scenario.
*243. Peyton Hendershot, TE, Indiana
You can never have too many tight ends. Blake Bell's contract expires next year, so Kansas City will need a quality backup to Travis Kelce. Hendershot will battle Noah Gray in training camp for that honor.
251. Noah Elliss, DT, Idaho
With Derrick Nnadi, Tershawn Wharton, and Khalen Saunders all gone after this season, the Chiefs could use a space eater in the middle to pair with Chris Jones. Elliss is a gigantic nose tackle that should provide some much needed depth at the position.
*259. Britain Covey, WR, Utah
Covey can be the Robin to Pierce's Batman, as their skill sets complement each other perfectly. He'll spend most of his time in the slot if JuJu Smith-Schuster is too busy managing his social media persona to care about football, but also has the speed to keep defenses honest and has a shot to supplant Mecole Hardman as the team's primary deep threat after both his and Smith-Schuster's contract expire after next year. (I value Covey much higher than this, by the way, but the simulator ranked him well into the 300s overall so I knew I could get him here with my final selection).

Jerry Reb

Mentor
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2661703-2017-nfl-draft-updated-draft-radar-post-preseason

Here's an article from 5 years ago discussing various draft prospects at the time. It's interesting to see how things have turned out 5 years later with regard to who has exceeded expectations and who's busted.

The big standout for us, of course, is the "Small School Standout." A wide receiver so talented that even a mostly Caste author has to acknowledge his skills.

Extra Point

Hall of Famer
I'll just post the mock here, since the team subforums have been mainly used for news, highlighting specific players, and season previews. I've put the pick explanations in a spoiler so they don't take up too much room. Overall, 8 of the 12 players I selected were white (marked with an asterisk), and that number would've been higher if cornerback wasn't such a dire need.

The Chiefs are set across their offensive line except for tackle. Raimann will immediately challenge Lucas Niang for the right tackle spot, and eventually supplant Orlando Brown at left tackle if they don't resign him after this year.
Kansas City's cornerback room was enough of an embarrassment last year, and on top of that they've lost 2 of their 3 starting corners from that unit. They absolutely have to address the position early in the draft, and Gordon is the last of the top tier guys available. He can play outside and push Rashad Fenton back to the slot where he belongs, or play in the slot himself if necessary (more on that later).
The Chiefs haven't had a true X receiver since Dwayne Bowe. Tyreek Hill is good at beating press coverage, but he's not the best at high-pointing jump balls (and now he's gone anyway). Patrick Mahomes will appreciate Pierce's massive catch radius in the red zone, and Pierce has the long speed to take the top off of a defense too.
After barely missing out on George Karlaftis in round 1, Thomas isn't a bad consolation prize. He fits exactly what the Chiefs look for in edge rushers and should immediately start across from Frank Clark, allowing Chris Jones to move back to his natural position at defensive tackle. (If I was the actual GM of the Chiefs, I probably would've been thrown out of the draft room following this selection.)
Speaking of Clark, he hasn't really lived up to his enormous contract anyway, and I don't see the Chiefs keeping him past next year. A player with Williams' skill would normally go much higher, but he's been tumbling down draft boards due to concerns about his behavior (he was charged with sexual battery at college), so it's only natural that the team that gambled on Willie Gay two years ago would take a swing at Williams.
Right, so about that cornerback room. McCollum is a project, sure, but he is a gifted athlete with the perfect tools to excel in Kansas City's press-man scheme. If they can mold him into a starting outside corner, great, Gordon can replace Fenton in the slot. If not, no big deal, Gordon can play outside and the Chiefs can get by with Fenton in the slot.
The Chiefs replaced Tyrann Mathieu with Justin Reid this offseason, but with Daniel Sorensen also gone, Reid will need another white player to yell at every time someone on the opposite side of the field makes a big play. Enter Weatherford, who can play as a third safety along with Reid and Juan Thornhill, or as a situational box linebacker.
Speaking of which, the Chiefs still haven't replaced Ben Niemann at the third linebacker spot, and no, Jermaine Carter doesn't count. Like Weatherford, Domann will make an immediate mark on special teams, but should be able to carve out a starting role fairly early. The Chiefs fans on Reddit will now have a new duo of
The Chiefs lack a true short yardage running back, and Horvath fills that need perfectly. He can be their primary goal line threat if they let Michael Burton walk after this year, and with Darrel Williams and Jericho McKinnon both gone, it's not impossible that he has a chance to fight for starting snaps at running back in a Peyton Hillis-style scenario.
You can never have too many tight ends. Blake Bell's contract expires next year, so Kansas City will need a quality backup to Travis Kelce. Hendershot will battle Noah Gray in training camp for that honor.
With Derrick Nnadi, Tershawn Wharton, and Khalen Saunders all gone after this season, the Chiefs could use a space eater in the middle to pair with Chris Jones. Elliss is a gigantic nose tackle that should provide some much needed depth at the position.
Covey can be the Robin to Pierce's Batman, as their skill sets complement each other perfectly. He'll spend most of his time in the slot if JuJu Smith-Schuster is too busy managing his social media persona to care about football, but also has the speed to keep defenses honest and has a shot to supplant Mecole Hardman as the team's primary deep threat after both his and Smith-Schuster's contract expire after next year. (I value Covey much higher than this, by the way, but the simulator ranked him well into the 300s overall so I knew I could get him here with my final selection).

This, I think, would be an A+ draft for the Chiefs. Maybe some team should hire you to conduct their draft.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2661703-2017-nfl-draft-updated-draft-radar-post-preseason

Here's an article from 5 years ago discussing various draft prospects at the time. It's interesting to see how things have turned out 5 years later with regard to who has exceeded expectations and who's busted.

The big standout for us, of course, is the "Small School Standout." A wide receiver so talented that even a mostly Caste author has to acknowledge his skills.

Deshone Kizer number 4 is hilarious. Lots of busts and disappointments as usual in the article.

So I have been thinking - what should we consider a success with this year’s draft? We can confidently predict that at most 60 White athletes will be drafted per the historical trends (20-23% of athletes drafted are White). Within those confines what do you guys think would make a successful draft? Just curious and wanting to take a different perspective and mindset going into the draft.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Small gains 25-30% I'd say would be promising.

I have around 110 White athletes that I feel have the chance to be drafted. That would be like 43% of players. I’ll whittle the list down some to get a more realistic caste projection soon but with the extra year there is certainly a deeper pool of prospects.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
If we could get north of 30 and into 40s that'd be great, but abnormal! I'm guessing a slight uptick in our guy's drafted but sadly even with deeper pool think UDFA will be the way for most of our guy's..

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
If we could get north of 30 and into 40s that'd be great, but abnormal! I'm guessing a slight uptick in our guy's drafted but sadly even with deeper pool think UDFA will be the way for most of our guy's..

Yea like every year teams will leave no stone unturned to find black scrubs. That is the most maddening part of the draft and the most obvious caste system practice during the draft. It happens every year.

I’ve certainly become more interested in UDFAs over the past few years just as much if not more than the draft itself. Even the larger number of White athletes that go undrafted should still be signed to the 90 man rosters.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Would love for both those guys to end up on the Pats.

I’ve also read that Scott Nelson has had some visits - Packers and Lions

They'd be good Patriots!

Nelson to the Packers would be awesome. It's been ages since they've had a White Safety! Detroit would be cool for him as well, his hometown.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
They'd be good Patriots!

Nelson to the Packers would be awesome. It's been ages since they've had a White Safety! Detroit would be cool for him as well, his hometown.

I’d like Nelson to the Pack. The Packers have been pretty bad at drafting with Gutencuck - garbage wrs, dbs and of course QBs. I’d love for the Packers to draft another Qb this year as it will be the end of Love in Green Bay - Carson Strong or Zappe would be great choices.

Lions have Breeze already on the roster. Can’t have too many Whiteys at taboo positions. Lol.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
It has Dane Brugler's scouting report which has analysis for 399 players. The analyses contain both combine and pro day results. I haven't seen the results listed all in one place.

Brugler's scouting report also has the results for over 1,200 other players in one line each, that I'm guessing combines both combine and pro results.

For me it's easily worth the dollar a month.

Can you post Brugler's 7 round mock draft from The Athletic? I want to use it with the other mock drafts for my draft preview.

Jerry Reb

Mentor
For me, the number of White players drafted would have to be significantly higher than the historical average - I would say that one in three being White would be a success (and I highly doubt it'll happen, the Caste System is entrenched to allow only a small and very similar percentage of low-melanin players each year).

Even one in three is a generous definition of success, considering that America is still 63% White. The NFL looks more like inner-city Baltimore than America, but of course that's not problematic or racist according to the usual suspects.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
For what it's worth, Mel Kiper has Alec Pierce going at pick 53 to the Packers. I've seen a lot of other comparisons to Jordy besides Kiper's, which hopefully Pierce gets the opportunity to live up to:

'Alec Pierce has rare physical tools'
Kiper said Pierce would give Green Bay quarterback Aaron Rodgers another weapon on offense: "My comp for Pierce will be familiar to Packers fans -- it's Jordy Nelson. And Green Bay got Nelson in the second round, too. The 6-foot-3 Pierce ran a 4.41 40 at the combine and also had a 40.5-inch vertical. He has rare physical tools, which have him climbing draft boards. He could thrive on go routes from Aaron Rodgers."

2452e522-7421-4b78-8564-609846d45bd1-032422ProDayUC11.JPG

white lightning

Hall of Famer
For what it's worth, Mel Kiper has Alec Pierce going at pick 53 to the Packers. I've seen a lot of other comparisons to Jordy besides Kiper's, which hopefully Pierce gets the opportunity to live up to:

Kiper said Pierce would give Green Bay quarterback Aaron Rodgers another weapon on offense: "My comp for Pierce will be familiar to Packers fans -- it's Jordy Nelson. And Green Bay got Nelson in the second round, too. The 6-foot-3 Pierce ran a 4.41 40 at the combine and also had a 40.5-inch vertical. He has rare physical tools, which have him climbing draft boards. He could thrive on go routes from Aaron Rodgers."

His combonation of speed, agility, balance, coordination, great hands and a monster vertical leap should make any team stand up
and take notice. If he were black he would easly go in the first round. Hope he ends up in Green Bay or somewhere similar where he
can blossom into a star and make many pro bowls in the future. At least with Pierce it's almost impossible for any team to try and stick
him as a slot receiver. It would be incredibly stupid if any team did but with the NFL I won't hold my breath.

Warhawk_46

Master
Speaking of Jordy, isn’t it near criminal he was only voted to a single Pro Bowl in his career? For a good 5 year stretch one could legitimately say he was a Top 3 wide receiver in the entire league.

TwentyTwo

Master

You knocked it out of the park Leon Sandcastle! Thanks for posting. The KC Chiefs would become one of my favorite teams instantly with these picks! I never saw Britian Covey as an option in the Mock Draft simulator. They must have updated it ...

THANKS for posting this Don! It has been a while here on CF since a WR had the upside of an Alec Pierce (in what is supposed to be a deep WR Class)...Have seen anywhere from 38 to 70...Jordy Nelson went 38th overall...Pierce and Nelson were BOTH DB's at the beginning of their college careers too!

Alec Pierce did not disappoint when making the Summer/Pre-season as the leader of the 2021 Wide Receiver thread!
https://castefootball.us/index.php?threads/2021-wide-recievers.38158/

Pierce climbed his way on the list in 2020(led by Bennett Skwronek/late pick /Rams) .
Class of 2019 was relatively weaker .....

Pre season 2018 got my hopes up with David Sills; but surprisingly went Undrafted; but Hunter Renfrow(5th) made a big impact ; Also speedsters Andy Isabella(3rd) & Scotty Miller (6th)

.....Six WR's were taken before Cooper Kupp(69th overall) in the 2017 Draft... and Chad Hansen(4th) ; Ryan Switzer(late 4th) & Trent Taylor(5th) were also Drafted .
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/lists/rams-nfl-draft-cooper-kupp-2017-wide-receivers/

Jerry Reb

Mentor
Alec Pierce could go the Cooper Kupp path or the Andy Isabella path (or somewhere in between). His talent is undeniable, the only question is how much he'll get to utilize it in the NFL.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Alec Pierce could go the Cooper Kupp path or the Andy Isabella path (or somewhere in between). His talent is undeniable, the only question is how much he'll get to utilize it in the NFL.

Pierce is getting the most favorable treatment any White WR has since Kupp. I think it’s all a matter of where he ends up and if the coach decides to actually use him. Isabella has been screwed over royally by Cucksbury. Ideally he is flipped for a late round pick and goes to a team that will put him on the field. Isabella’s issues have not been from a lack of talent as he produces when on the field but due to the fact any black WR on the Cardinals roster jumps over him based on skin color.