2012 rookie qb's

scroat

Guru
What is everyone's opinion about the 5 rookies that will start this season. What is everyones predictions for team success, statistic
success and career success?

davidholly

Mentor
Luck will probably have the best rookie season in terms of stats, not sure about wins though. Luck will hopefully have a long career.

Tannehill is going to have his hands full in Miami. That said he has the potential to be a top QB.

Weeden's playing for the Browns, that's all that needs to be said. No clue about how his career will turn out.

People keep acting like Russell Wilson will be a starter for the rest of the season, but if he performs badly in the first few games I can see him getting benched. Honestly I don't see Russell Wilson having a long career.

RG3's run first style is going to come back to bite him in the ass. Run first QBs are just compensating for their inability to read defenses. If RG3 can learn to stay in the pocket he'd have the potential of being a middle of the pack QB.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Luck will probably have the best rookie season in terms of stats, not sure about wins though. Luck will hopefully have a long career.

Tannehill is going to have his hands full in Miami. That said he has the potential to be a top QB.

Weeden's playing for the Browns, that's all that needs to be said. No clue about how his career will turn out.

People keep acting like Russell Wilson will be a starter for the rest of the season, but if he performs badly in the first few games I can see him getting benched. Honestly I don't see Russell Wilson having a long career.

RG3's run first style is going to come back to bite him in the ass. Run first QBs are just compensating for their inability to read defenses. If RG3 can learn to stay in the pocket he'd have the potential of being a middle of the pack QB.
Tannehill and Weeden in particular are in worrisome situations. They don't have much to work with, so there is the danger that they will be "Blaine Gabbertized". If they can't miraculously pull a rabbit out of a hat, so to speak, they will be derided as "busts". As for Wilson and "RGIII", the coaches will do everything they can to make the offense "easy" on the supa-affletic loaded-with-upside QBs-of-the-future. Andrew Luck I'm not worried about.

scroat

Guru
I agree. I think luck will have an impressive career. I feel like best case scenario for rg3 would be a career similar to McNabbs, but that would be his ceiling. I don't envy either Tannehills or Wheedons situation and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if at least one of them gets the Clausen treatment. I think Wilson may be able to string together a couple wins and buy himself time in Seattle. Long term he is nothing more than a career backup.

scroat

Guru
Tannehill and Weeden in particular are in worrisome situations. They don't have much to work with, so there is the danger that they will be "Blaine Gabbertized". If they can't miraculously pull a rabbit out of a hat, so to speak, they will be derided as "busts". As for Wilson and "RGIII", the coaches will do everything they can to make the offense "easy" on the supa-affletic loaded-with-upside QBs-of-the-future. Andrew Luck I'm not worried about.

Whoops I was basically typing the same thing at the same time

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
I want to know what Ryan Tannehill was doing in the preseason -- in Mike Sherman's "super-complicated offense" -- that Matt Moore 'somehow couldn't learn or execute?'

Miami is a joke.. Mike Sherman, Jeff Ireland and their owner, all of them. Miami could have traded down in the Draft, got a receiver for Matt Moore, and then gotten a QB from the deeper 2013 Draft.

--As for the current situation, though, were they 'forced' to name Tannehill the Game 1 starter (which is a game against the Houston Texans)? Miami will have to sleep in the bed they made. Even with around half of their schedule consisting of games that are quite winnable, I have them going 5-11 this season because of their dubious decisions. And, in 2011, they reached on Mike Pouncey.

For anyone who thinks big mistakes can't be made in drafting QBs, why was Brock Osweiler (who left Arizona State ridiculously early) drafted ahead of Nick Foles?.. BAM!! Because of a hype-machine pushing 'upside' -- and many were pushing Osweiler as an early 2nd-round talent. He ended up going in the late-2nd, still ahead of strong-armed Nick Foles.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
I want to know what Ryan Tannehill was doing in the preseason -- in Mike Sherman's "super-complicated offense" -- that Matt Moore 'somehow couldn't learn or execute?'

Miami is a joke.. Mike Sherman, Jeff Ireland and their owner, all of them. Miami could have traded down in the Draft, got a receiver for Matt Moore, and then gotten a QB from the deeper 2013 Draft.

--As for the current situation, though, were they 'forced' to name Tannehill the Game 1 starter (which is a game against the Houston Texans)? Miami will have to sleep in the bed they made. Even with around half of their schedule consisting of games that are quite winnable, I have them going 5-11 this season because of their dubious decisions. And, in 2011, they reached on Mike Pouncey.

For anyone who thinks big mistakes can't be made in drafting QBs, why was Brock Osweiler (who left Arizona State ridiculously early) drafted ahead of Nick Foles?.. BAM!! Because of a hype-machine pushing 'upside' -- and many were pushing Osweiler as an early 2nd-round talent. He ended up going in the late-2nd, still ahead of strong-armed Nick Foles.

You only have to look as far as the second pick in the draft last year to see a QB benefiting the hype - Robert Griffin was a total hype job - look what Nick Florence did this past weekend for Baylor as Griffin's replacement - where is the Heisman hype for Florence?

scroat

Guru
The hype machine is in full force anytime the next great black hope is emerging at the quarterback position, and it almost never works out. I almost feel bad for Griffin, there is no way he will be able to live up to the ridiculous expectations. I also thinks its funny that he has probably a half dozen sponsors already. I haven't seen Luck on any commercials and in my opinion he is almost a lock to be successful. Griffin is a reach at best to put it nicely.

davidholly

Mentor
The hype machine is in full force anytime the next great black hope is emerging at the quarterback position, and it almost never works out. I almost feel bad for Griffin, there is no way he will be able to live up to the ridiculous expectations. I also thinks its funny that he has probably a half dozen sponsors already. I haven't seen Luck on any commercials and in my opinion he is almost a lock to be successful. Griffin is a reach at best to put it nicely.

I don't feel bad for Griffin at all, you've got to take the good with the bad. He's more than happy to receive unwarranted praise, something tells me he won't take such responsibility for his failures.

scroat

Guru
I don't feel bad for Griffin at all, you've got to take the good with the bad. He's more than happy to receive unwarranted praise, something tells me he won't take such responsibility for his failures.

That's true. I just think its crazy that thousands of people think he's going to magically bring the redskins to multiple superbowls. Maybe he can (very doubtful) but I don't believe one good season in a spread offense is a good indication. If he does crash and burn it will be interesting to see how long until the redskins "go in another direction." Unless he is an immediate success he is still hurting that franchise considering what they gave up for him.

dwid

Hall of Famer
There already making excuses for RGIII saying he has the 2nd toughest game for a qb this week....against the Saints defense. I don't know when the Saints became one of the top defensive teams. There was no way of getting around putting his game as the hardest though, which they said to be Ryan Tannehill going against the Texans.