2008 Vikings

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Brad Childress is criticized for running an unimaginative offense. From a Caste Football perspective, the Vikings ought to be heavily utilizing Garrett Mills as a receiving tight end. Mills was a record setting tight end in college and has the size and speed to be used as either a downfield tight end or as a big wideout. However Mills currently languishes third on the Vikings' depth chart at TE. Then again, the Vikings continue to go with a quarterback who, certainly thus far at least, has lacked the mental acuity to run a high-powered passing offense. Once again the Caste System wins out over common sense.

The Vikings are more interesting from a defensive standpoint, as they start three high quality white players. Jared Allen is the all-world defensive end who was traded to Minnesota in the off-season by Kansas City. Allen combines the mandatory white "non-stop motor" (translation: he plays hard every play, as every professional athlete should) with fearsome talent. Allen led the league in sacks last year despite being suspended for the first two games of the season.

Minny has a mini-"Snow Patrol" at outside linebacker with starters Chad Greenway and Ben Leber. Greenway is the first round draft pick out of Iowa who blew out a knee early in his rookie training camp while serving an "apprenticeship" on special teams instead of being groomed right off the bat to be the starting linebacker he obviously is. Expect Greenway to put up very high tackling numbers for at least the next half-dozen seasons.

Leber plays the weak side, which generally leads to fewer tackling opportunities, but he is very solid and reliable.

Second year defensive end Brian Robison should be starting opposite Allen, but the idea of having four white starters undoubtedly caused fuses to blow out in Childress' caste-trained brain. Robison had the best measurables at his position at the 2007 Combine and was very productive on the field when given some playing time as a rookie. It's not known how long his whites-only apprenticeship will last, but Robison will be very very good when he finally becomes a starter.

Sixth year man Vinny Ciurciu out of Boston College is a backup linebacker. Backup LB Heath Farwell was placed on IR.

On offense there are three white starters, all linemen. LG Steve Hutchinson is simply the best in the business at his position, worth the money it took to lure him from Seattle two years ago. Harvard grad and Pro Bowler Matt Birk is still holding down the center position in his 11th season. Third year player Ryan Cook out of New Mexico is the right tackle.

John Sullivan (Notre Dame) is a backup center and Drew Radovich (USC) is a backup tackle. Both are rookies.

Besides Garrett Mills, Jim Kleinsasser and Jeff Dugan are used as backup tight ends/fullbacks/human bowling balls.

Gus Frerotte, in his 15th season, is a capable backup quarterback. Rookie John David Booty is currently the third quarterback but may well be the future starter, and sooner than many people think.

NUMBER OF WHITE STARTERS: 6

APPROXIMATE NUMBER OF WHITE PLAYERS ON 53 MAN ROSTER: 18

GRADE: D

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Brad Childress finally considering "other options" at quarterback. Gus Frerotte reminds me of Kerry Collins -- a very good backup who can take over and be very effective, but whobecomes erratic if forced to start too many games in a row. But he's still a huge upgrade over Jackson. 0-2 teams historically make the playoffs only about 10 percent of the time. If the Vikings go 0-3, forget it.

Tarvaris Jackson, Jamarcus Russell, Vince Young, these Three Stooges are setting the black QB experiment back years. And they're almost as much fun to watch as Moe, Larry and Shemp (Curley was the funniest Stooge; however Kordell Stewart gave him a run for his money).

Vikings run QB option

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/28429814.html?elr= KArksi8cyaiU9PmP:QiUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiU Edited by: Don Wassall

Don Wassall said:
Brad Childress finally considering "other options" at quarterback.  Gus Frerotte reminds me of Kerry Collins -- a very good backup who can take over and be very effective, but who becomes erratic if forced to start too many games in a row.  But he's still a huge upgrade over Jackson.  0-2 teams historically make the playoffs only about 10 percent of the time. If the Vikings go 0-3, forget it. 

Tarvaris Jackson, Jamarcus Russell, Vince Young, these Three Stooges are setting the black QB experiment back years.  And they're almost as much fun to watch as Moe, Larry and Shemp (Curley was the funniest Stooge; however Kordell Stewart gave him a run for his money).

In 1974, for a time, Both James Harris and Joe Gilliam were starting quarterbacks. Harris for the Rams, and Gilliam for the Steelers. This caused some writers to predict that in ten years over half of NFL QB's would be black. One writer even thought that the tendency of coaches to call the plays would make QB a "black" position. Well, we see what is happening over 30 years later.

white is right

Hall of Famer
He said this not me.....You don't crown a guy king and then the king doesn't have any clothes on and you say, 'Hey, he's still the king.' It took Childress this long to finally see this? The whole management team needs to be caste away and send the Love Boat reruns back to TBS....
smiley5.gif

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Who would have thought just two years ago that the Vikes would be allowed to have more white starters (7) than the Colts (5).

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Liverlips said:
Who would have thought just two years ago that the Vikes would be allowed to have more white starters (7) than the Colts (5).

Strange indeed, but with numbers that low, who really cares?

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Starting DE Ray Edwards bragged before the season that he was going to get 25 sacks. He has exactly 0.5 sacks so far, andjust 20 tackles. Yet Brian Robison has hardly played at all. In limited playing time as a rookie in '07, Robison, who was easily the best at his position at the Combine,was an impact player. But the Vikings traded for Jared Allen, which apparently means they won't startwhites at both end positionsno matter how poorly Edwards plays. And so Robison's "apprenticeship" continues.

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
The worst part is, there are dozens of "Ray Edwards" type guys in the NFL. Braggard losers who just take up space and get 1-2 tackles per game and no sacks, hurries, etc. You know, the kind of stats that almost ANY semi-athletic human could produce. The reason that NFL DE's who are so good stand out so much is only because by comparison everyone else sucks and is super-boring to watch.

The sickest part is, most of them were high draft picks by their respective teams. Just look at complete 1st round busts like Falcons DE Jamal Anderson. He was handed a starting position (unlike the apprenticeship Don has been describing for years) and makes about 1-2 tackles per game. He had 30 tackles last season and zero sacks. Wow, what an athlete! This year he's doing slightly better....18 tackles through 7 games and 2 sacks. Instead of putting this clown on an "all-time draft bust" list, he'll be making pro-bowls he doesnt deserve.Edited by: Thrashen

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Edwards is in a prime position to do well because Jared Allen is often double-teamed, but still he sucks. It's only the rare first rounder like Patrick Kerney or Chris Long who get a lot of playing time right off the bat. Aaron Kampman, who was drafted in the 5th round, sat on the bench for two seasons before starting. Looks like Robison will have to wait at least that long.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The Vikings are close to making a trade for Sage Rosenfels. Apparently he would replace Gus Frerotte as the "veteran challenger" to the awful Tarvaris Jackson. Sounds pretty lame to me. Rosenfels is a lot like Frerotte, a good backup but not someone you want starting all season. If that's all Minnesota does at the QB position, it looks like Brad Childress wants the team to suffer through with Jackson again in '09 even though this article claims Rosenfels would be the starter.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3928630

icsept

Master
I like Rosenfels. He showed he could be very productive. The question is whether he will eliminate the dumb mistakes once he gains experience. Frerotte was only average even when he was in his prime, which was 10 years ago. Tarvaris is probably the worst QB in the league, so Rosenfels is definitely an upgrade.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I was just checking the list of QBs whoare about to becomefree agents and it's not an impressive list, so maybe the Vikings think Rosenfels is the best they can do as far as a veteran. They drafted Booty last year so they won't want to draft a young QB again so soon.

Kurt Warner is the top FA name, but he'll be 38 this seasonand may not want to play anywhere besides Arizona. The other unrestricted free agent QBs are Kerry Collins, Jeff Garcia, J.P. Losman, Chris Simms, Byron Leftwich, J.T. O'Sullivan, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Kyle Boller, Rex Grossman, Dan Orlovsky, Patrick Ramsey, Joey Harrington, Brooks Bollinger, and Charlie Frye.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I am surprised Tennessee isn't going to re-sign Collins. Guess they will go ahead and go with Young this year.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The Titans can still re-sign Collins. Free agency hasn't started yet. Jeff Fisher reportedly toldCollins he's going to be the starter again in '09.

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
The media's only chosen white athlete, Butt Farve, has officially signed with the Vikings for over 10 million....with an option for a second year.

Gee, I thought he retired for good two weeks ago. I'm totally shocked that this Ocho-Cino, TO-esqe prima donna has "changed his mind" yet again. He probably felt as though he was "too amazing" to attend training camp with his teammates. Such arrogance would make Favre's loverboy, John Madden, coo with glee. NFL network (also known as Chad Johnson / TO / Brett Favre TV) must be p1ssing their pants with joy.

The only positive I see is that Tavaris Jackson (who had no business even being on a practice squad) will probably be cut...as the Vikings will now have Favre, Rosenfels, Jackson, and 1st round pick John David Booty. Jackson's career may be over.Edited by: Thrashen

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Tavaris Jackson is an afflete. He can still do things with his legs while throwing more interceptions than touchdowns and completing only 50 percent of his passes. I am sure the Vikings will look for another afflete to back up Favre.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Great, just great! Favre has effectively ruined my second QB pick for fantasy football, Sage Rosenfels.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Let's start another love/hate Brett Favre thread! It's one of castefootball's favorite subjects!
smiley1.gif

I'll go first. I think it's a great move for Minnesota. Favre still has some gas left in the tank. He's a vet QB who knows how to win, and those guys can mean a lot to a team. He sticks a finger in the eye of Minnesota's main competitors (Green Bay) plus he probably knows the Pack offense and can help the Viking defense. Minnesota has a good defense and it's offense is hampered by (so far) poor QB play. So why not go for it.

And why should the guy quit? Because he's old? So what! He loves to play let him go on as long as he wants and someone will pay him. Has he been a jerk about it? Sure he has. But that's one of the qualities that makes him a good player. We white fans need a few jerks to root for, does every white player have to be a freakin' boy scout?

guest301

Hall of Famer
jaxvid said:
Let's start another love/hate Brett Favre thread! It's one of castefootball's favorite subjects!
smiley1.gif

I'll go first. I think it's a great move for Minnesota. Favre still has some gas left in the tank. He's a vet QB who knows how to win, and those guys can mean a lot to a team. He sticks a finger in the eye of Minnesota's main competitors (Green Bay) plus he probably knows the Pack offense and can help the Viking defense. Minnesota has a good defense and it's offense is hampered by (so far) poor QB play. So why not go for it.

And why should the guy quit? Because he's old? So what! He loves to play let him go on as long as he wants and someone will pay him. Has he been a jerk about it? Sure he has. But that's one of the qualities that makes him a good player. We white fans need a few jerks to root for, does every white player have to be a freakin' boy scout?

Great post Jaxvid. I am so on board with you in regards to Favre. He has long been one of my favorite athletes and I wish him all the success in the world. How many "larger than life" white athletes do we have anyway, lets sit back and enjoy the drama of those two Viking/Packer showdowns. It should be fun.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
jaxvid said:
smiley1.gif

Wow, Jaxvid, I'm impressed.
smiley36.gif
Think of it this way -- if Favre wasn't a story we would be forcefed even more Michael Vick, T.O., Ocho Cinco crap than we're already getting.

Favre's a prima donna but so what? The media basically hounded him to quit for years, and now he's turned the tables and forces them to cover his annual return. He had a serious arm problem the last part of '08 (his first real injury) and was publicly scapegoated by some of his black "teammates" on the Jets. I'd like to see him come back and play well as a 40 year old. Favre is a great example of the durability and sustained excellence of many white athletes.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Yeah, I like Favre as a player. I hope he does well this year and shows the caste media that white men can be world class athletes into their 40s.m

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
3 supportive Favre posts????? Where's Bart? They gotta hate this guy in cheeseland!

backrow

Hall of Famer
i don't much care for Brett Favre, but at least now we'll be entertained by a white QB instead of the usual Vick/Tavaris/Vince Young saga. this guy sure loves his football, with all the millions that he made you would have thought he'd be playing golf with Dan Marino now!

WHITE NOISE

Mentor
Every time Favre takes the field he is putting another record out of reach for future affroletes and that's one reason the MSM and DWF's want him to retire. I say, go for it Brett and continue to give us someone to root for!

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
I just can't speak kind words for a white athlete who dominates all media conversation via his infinate "will he? won't he?" drama....as opposed to simply his talent.

This latest "I'm back" media/DWF circle jerk makes me genuinly reconsider if Bigunreal's long-held contention that "it's all as scripted as professional wrestling" is the actual truth? As we all know, the Eagles signed Mike Vick without even holding a workout. Strange indeed.

I see the point of many here at CF....that Favre may be one of the few remaining "larger than life" white athlete (or person in general) left on planet earth. Basically, at this point in his career, his behavior reminds me more of a black athlete than a white athlete.

I know most here will say "whites need to have more of an attitude," however, I'm not really sure what Favre is "rebelling" against? The media and fans absolutely love him? The Packers gave him hundreds of millions to play football? The wrangler commercials? The streets in Wisconsin that bear his name?

What about all those seasons in Green Bay under Ray Rhoades, Mike Sherman, and Mike Holmgren? All those wasted seasons in which Favre, who was basically worshipped like a god, could have have lobbied for the vast amount of white WR's, RB's, TE's, and defensive players be screwed by the caste system....and didnt? Why didnt he use his "larger than life" status to lobbie for guys like Bill Scroeder to remain with the Packers? Oh, wait, I can think of many games in which he was literally screeching at Bill (alongside the obese Walrus, Holmgren, who was also screaming).

I suppose you could also make a similar argument that Tom Brady and Peyton Manning should lobbie for a change in their teams' virtually all-black caste defenses. But it's just not the same. Personally, I feel that throughout Brett Favre's truely amazing career....he's strenghtened the caste system, as opposed to weakening it.

Over his 17+ seasons, Favre has had 3 white skill players on the same FIELD as him (Scroeder, Beebee, and Churmura). That truth sickens me.

I'd rather hear about Mike Vick and TO than Favre. The entire Favre situation should be an embarressment to many posters here at CF....but for whatever reason, it's not.