2008 NBA DRAFT

G

In the first round, nbadraft.net has Spencer Hawes, Josh Mcroberts, Rudy Fernandez, Tiago Splitter, Marc Gasol, and Marco Belinelli. They have Aaron Gray falling out of the first round.

Joakim Noah is also in the first round. The general public seems to put him in the "other" category. He is more than half white, so he is too weird looking and not black enough to be considered black.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
yes but my friends. how many homegrown athletes. McRobers and Hawes. That is pathetic. Absolutely ridiculous. What about Haluska. He should be a first round prospect. Jason Smith. Tyler Hansborough.

backrow

Hall of Famer
Jason Smith should have a good chance of going quite high...

"Smith, a 7-foot, 260-pound junior from Colorado State University, has been working out in Los Angeles with a handful of NBA prospects since finishing his spring semester classes. He hopes to be selected in the June 28 NBA Draft, and his chances appear to be improving daily.

A recent mock draft on MSNBC's Web site had Smith being selected 12th, and a sampling of other mock drafts Tuesday had him generally being selected in the Nos. 14-18 slots. The draft lasts two rounds, with 60 players - 30 per round - taken."

Ante Tomic (Croatia) has entered the draft and will be taken in the first round.

The first round should include 8 whites....

Ante Tomic (croatia)
Spencer Hawes
Josh Mcroberts
Rudy Fernandez (spain)
Tiago Splitter (brazil)
Marc Gasol (spain)
Marco Belinelli (italy)
Jason Smith

8 out of 30 is better then average seeing as how the NBA is only 20% white.

Aron Gray and Kyle Visser may be drafted in the 1st as well. Nick Frazekas is no longer really in contention and will be a second round pick for sure.

surfsider

Guru
I read an article that said Aaron Gray had a new "streamlined body" and was looking very good offensively in pre-draft camps. More impressive than he'd ever looked in college.

Draft Express is typcally more reliable than the other sites. In its mock
right now, Hawes is 9, Splitter 15, Jason Smith 16, Josh McRoberts 17,
Rudy Fernanez 19, Tomic 21, Marco Belinelli 24, Aaron Gray 28, Petteri
Koponen 29 = 9 in the first round

Second round:
Marc Gasol 1, Fazekas 4, Visser 7, Ivan Radenovic 23, Kyrylo Fresnko 24,
Brad Newley 27, Mizra Begic 28 = 16 total

With the way Jared Jordan is playing this week in Orland, he could be
picked. Haluska wasn't even invited to Orlando, so he very likely won't.

white tornado

Mentor
If anyone knows a site where the mesurables taken in the pre draft camp can be seen please post a link. Ive looked but I can't find a site with them.

sunshine

Mentor
Also there is a breakdown of the top players regarding their workouts at nbadraft.net.. McRoberts performed less than expected but Kevin Durant the much hyped "athlete" was slow with an average vertical leap. Go tell that to Dick -I wanna to marry the black athletic studs-Vitale.
Jason Smith a relative unknown from Colorado State was very athletic--only negative is lack of wingspan which is very important in basketball. Not strong either but he is not alone in that category.
Greg Oden did not put on an athletic marvel show--but is saved by huge wingspan.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Jason Smith out jumps more than half of the black guards in this years draft entry and he's a center=very impressive. Go tell this to those stupid masses in the knuckle-headed general public and they probably would think you were lying. I wonder what happened to Jared Jordan in the no-step vertical he only posted 14 inches. It must be a citing error or maybe he got hurt. Jared posted a 28.5 inch top vertical which isn't good, but many might remember black Marcus Williams being selected as the 22nd pick by the Nets at point guard as "the steal of the draft" an "elite play maker" last year. Marcus only jumped 28 inches as his top vertical. Typical caste-whore BS...he was treated differently b/c he's black.Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
In comparing Marcus to Jared in other areas Jared ran the 3/4 court in 3.39, Marcus in 3.40. Jared had one of the the best lane agility times this year of 11.02 while Marcus posted a less than average 11.30. Marcus has a standing reach of 8'1.5 compared to Jared's 7'10. As a play maker I would give Jared an edge. So you would think they would be drafted around the same time right?

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Aaron Gray has lost 15 pounds and is down to 10 percent body fat. He was a late developer physically, a prime example of how white athletes often are overlooked and lose out at an early age to blacks who develop sooner but don't end up being as good as "late blooming" whites who are given a chance. HopefullyGray willbe a first round pick and have a successful NBA career.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/s_511764.html

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Jason Smith has flown under the radar because he played in the Mountain West Conference, and because he's a high-flying white cat. that being said, after his phenomenal measurements when he got poked, prodded, and measured for the NBA brass, it is said that his stock is soaring nearly as high as he can.

check out the following video: [url]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/specials/dra ft/2007/video/?c=Mock+Draft&p=88695 [/url]

he's got a soft touch, can move well with and without the basketball, and damn can he get off the ground!

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
more videos from white guys who dominated in American college hoops:

Nick Fazekas, and his face-up game: [url]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/specials/dra ft/2007/video/?c=Player&p=88702 [/url]

Aaron Gray, and his sweet mid-range post-up game: [url]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/specials/dra ft/2007/video/?c=Player&p=88700 [/url]

Spencer Hawes, the next Kevin McHale? maybe, except he can pass the ball: [url]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/specials/dra ft/2007/video/?c=Player&p=88706 [/url]

Josh McRoberts, the high-flying, point power forward that never scored as much as people wanted: [url]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/specials/dra ft/2007/video/?c=Player&p=88697 [/url]

Kyle Visser, a big ol' heaping helping of fearless mo-fo: [url]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/specials/dra ft/2007/video/?c=Player&p=88703 [/url]

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Finnish point guard Petteri Koponen has been creating some buzz in his pre-draft workouts. of course, this could mean absolutely nothing considering how the YoBA works.

i had the opportunity to watch this kid play in the Nike Hoop Summit this year. he is an excellent point guard, with tremendous size for the position, quick enough to get to the rim off the dribble, and the ablitiy to truly see the floor. as demonstrated by this clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHBUoVgHKs0

he doesn't get rattled, he's quick and long, and he's just flat out good. hopefully, he will go to a team that will utilize his skills.

petterikoponen.jpeg
Petteri Koponen

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
i haven't seen him play. have you, OC? if so, how good is he?

Tomic would have been the second white player picked if he had stayed in the draft. He may go in the top 5 in 2008. I have only seen him play once but based on what I saw he is the best white prospect on either side of the Atlantic.

Once again, the writers at www.thebrushback.com get it right:

<TABLE width=399>
<T>
<TR>
<TD =shortlines>

Scout would Feel A Lot Better About Spencer Hawes If He Wasn't White </TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD =shortarticles></TD>
<TD =shortarticles>

PHOENIX--An Eastern Conference scout who attended a workout for center Spencer Hawes came away impressed with the seven footer's skill set, but said he was "a little leery' of selecting Hawes because he is white.
"I really like that Hawes kid. He's got a lot of nice skills for a big man," said the scout. "Offensively he's extremely polished and defensively he's got potential, but you can't ignore the giant elephant in the room here: he's white. Now he can certainly bulk up and work on his interior defense and refine his post moves and stuff, but no matter how hard he practices, he'll never not be white. With that in mind, I would say grab him in the second round and hope for the best. Maybe he'll turn out to be the next George Mikan."</TD></TR></T></TABLE>

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Steven A. gave some great analysis on the Bulls pick IMO. Steven A seems to be a pretty fair sports analysis guy despite having a bad show. He mentioned Spencer Hawes having a good offensive skill set. And eluded to that he was surprised the Bulls took another high energy guy who is not a polished scorer in Noah. He said the Bulls already have Ben Wallace and plenty of high energy athletic guys. He mentioned not only Ben Gordon and Deng but also Hinrich and Nocioni as being that type of player. I was very disappointed in Noah going before Hawes. I wanted Hawes to be a Bull, he would have fit nicely with the team. Oh well the NBA sucks anyway, the college game is where it's at.Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
The biggest problem with the NBA is that the game has much less finesse than the old days. It's become a league where big guys like Shaq and Duncan can power their way to the hoop and get every foul call going their way.

The NBA needs to change the offensive foul rule to the way college calls it and needs to adapt the international key to open it up. If this happened we would see a rise in white players who on average are better shooters and passers.

Whites also seem to be shyer of bumping around and powering their way to the hoop, which is made worse by the refs favoring big black stars like Duncan and Shaq and not giving big whites the same luxury. We will continue to see European teams play at great levels in Olympic play. I wouldn't be surprised if another European team beats the U.S this Olympics.Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Sorry for spamming, but other good news for next year for young white players is that the NBA's two most pro-caste coaches Brian Hill of Orlando and Nick Van Gundy of Houston have been fired. So on that note I am hopeful that Reddick will see good playing time as a 6th or 7th man this year and that young players Spanoulis and Novak may get some time with Houston.

This is not a good draft year for white players, but we have many good young white players who were praised for their athleticism last year like David Lee and Bargnani. Also there are athletic young wing players who attack the rim who are finally coming on like Bosjan Nachbar and Sasha Pavlovic and of course Chase Budinger for next years draft.

Speaking of David Lee, the Knicks traded Channing Frye and Steve Francis for Zach Randolph, Fred Jones and Dan Dickau. Maybe Lee gets the nod as a starting high energy SF, b/c the Knicks have more enough scoring in the front court with Randolph and Curry so maybe they'll move Q. Richardson to SG to rotate with Crawford. Too bad they didn't trade Marbury also because maybe Dickau would have gotten sometime also. Marbury just hurts the chemistry of the Knicks backcourt, the last thing the Knicks need is scoring from their PG and Nate Robinson should be nothing more than a high energy backup PG on a team run correctly.

And for the immediate future: Here's hoping that Nash gets a third MVP and brings home the championship next year, he is certainly an all-time great and I have more faith in him getting the trophy as well as like him better than Nowitzki. And I will be very angry if Jared Jordan doesn't get drafted. And complete crap, McRoberts falling out of the first round.
smiley7.gif
Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins