2007 NCAA Outdoors

surfsider

Guru
Jake Arnold had an impressive decathalon win with a career-best 8,215 points.

Along with the perennial LSU, Florida, Georgia etc...contingent, Northern Iowa with three whites qualified 6th fastest for 4 x 400.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Andrew Ellerton of Michigan just won the 800 in a time of 1:47:48, but somehow he did it by "gritting his teeth and gutting it out" and by being "smart enough to get out of [trouble]," and by "being smart enough to go wide," according to the announcers.

ryan brown, a black dude, the defending national champfrom Washington and a "hard luck story" came in third... but for him it was "bad luck."

Ellerton was laughed at by the commentators when he allowed the rabbit and the rest of the pack to go to the front to begin the rac., but his closing speed, when he sucked up the whole field and went from last to first, wasn't praised at all. it was a move like Street Sense did in the Kentucky Derby, but instead of getting lawded for his talent, he was patted on the back for being a scrappy kid. bleh!

Ellerton, a senior, ran the fastest time of the year by a collegian this season, but he probably did that on guts and smarts, too. just imagine what his time would have been if he could run fast.
smiley5.gif

guest301

Hall of Famer
I just saw that race Jimmy C and I am taping the rest of the meet. I noticed the same thing you did. He ran a great race and he has the fastest collegiate 800 time this year and so his talent should be praised more than anything else.

Jimmy Chitwood said:
Andrew Ellerton of Michigan just won the 800 in a time of 1:47:48, but somehow he did it by "gritting his teeth and gutting it out" and by being "smart enough to get out of [trouble]," and by "being smart enough to go wide," according to the announcers.

ryan brown, a black dude, the defending national champfrom Washington and a "hard luck story" came in third... but for him it was "bad luck."

Ellerton was laughed at by the commentators when he allowed the rabbit and the rest of the pack to go to the front to begin the rac., but his closing speed, when he sucked up the whole field and went from last to first, wasn't praised at all. it was a move like Street Sense did in the Kentucky Derby, but instead of getting lawded for his talent, he was patted on the back for being a scrappy kid. bleh!

Ellerton, a senior, ran the fastest time of the year by a collegian this season, but he probably did that on guts and smarts, too. just imagine what his time would have been if he could run fast.
smiley5.gif

Thanks for the post. Didn't see or hear the mens 800 meters, so missed the brilliant commentary. This post could also go in the Media Racism and Stereotyping forum. Of course, no whites have speed or talent. Whenthey win it's because of "grit", "guts", "heart", or "smarts", but never because of speed. I, too, wonder what Ellerton's time would be if he actually had any speed.

I'm willing to bet that if a black runner had won in similar fashion, it would have been because of his devastating kick made possible by his great speed.