2007 Navy Midshipmen

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Finally, after 3 attempts totalling about an hour and a half, here are Navy's white starters for next season. Pretty bad if you ask me.

Offense
FB Adam Ballard
LT Josh Meek
RG Ben Gabbard
RT Andrew McGinn

Defense
RE Casey Hebert or Will Scarle
OLB Matt Humiston
OLB Matt Wimsatt
ILB Clint Sovie
FS Jeff DelizEdited by: Colonel_Reb

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
JoeV, thanks for being on top of things. My computer is struggling right now, so these may be slow in coming or wrought with errors. I appreciate your help!
smiley32.gif

GuyontheRight

eaxs said:
They still have that black QB that was accused of rape? If so,<?:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /> </v:stroke></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:ulas></v:path><?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shape></v:image></v:shape>.

Mid. Lamar Owens had already exhausted his eligibility after the 2005 season when the alleged incident happened. He was acquitted of the bogus rape charges but was convicted by a military court of conduct unbecoming and ordered to repay $90,000+ to the Academy. This case was much more about gender (and rightly so) than it was about race. I did not follow it super closely, so I would suggest doing some research if you are curious.

A fellow Navy football player, Kenny Ray Morrison (who is white), still faces similar charges after a similar incident, although from what I understand, his degree of culpability is much greater than Owens'. The almost universal consensus here is that Morrison is much more of a "thug" than Owens would ever be (an opinion I share.)

The current Navy quarterback is Kaipo-Noa Kaheaku Enhada, who is from <?:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:State w:st="on">Hawaii</st1:State></st1:place> as you would guess. His backup is former <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Hoover</st1:place></st1:City> star Jarod Bryant, who may be used at other positions this year if he is unable to win the starting job in fall camp. Eric Kettani is the backup fullback. Runs a sub 4.6 and benches close to 400. Both he and starter Adam Ballard will be used this year.

While I find thatwhat you all call the caste system does exist in the larger game, I assure you that at the <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Naval</st1:placeName> <st1:place w:st="on">Academy</st1:place></st1:place> the best player within the systemwill be the one to play. I hope everyonehere also recognizes that the overwhelmingly majority of these young men represent the very best in our society, whether they be white, black, or whatever, and that having met most of them myself can say they are very impressive group both on and off the field. I have no problem with the diversity on this team.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Adam Ballard is back and better than ever... at least until he gets screwed by the NFL, too. (article courtesy of the guys at DraftDaddy.)
Ballard back in form at fullback for Mids
<DIV ="col_story_byline">By BILL WAGNER, Staff Writer
<DIV ="col_story_pubdate">Published August 21, 2007
<DIV ="col_story_lead">It was obvious on Media Day that Navy fullback Adam Ballard was in the best shape of his career. His physique was sculpted like never before with muscles bulging and not an ounce of fat detectable.
<DIV name="thestorycontainer" ="col_story_text">Coming off a season-ending injury that required surgery, Ballard stayed in Annapolis most of the summer and attended 30 of 36 conditioning sessions. An offseason spent lifting weights added 13 pounds of muscle to the Texas native's 6-foot-1 frame and he reported to camp at a career-high 236 pounds.

"Adam took a very business-like approach to this summer. He busted his tail in the weight room and came back in great shape," Navy fullbacks coach Chris Culton said.

By all accounts, that hard work during the summer has paid off for Ballard, who has solidified his status as the starting fullback with a strong preseason camp. The powerful senior looked in mid-season form during Saturday's intrasquad scrimmage, barreling through the Navy defense for 80 yards on 11 carries.

"There were a lot of holes in there, but (Ballard) ran pretty well. He did some good things," Navy head coach Paul Johnson said. "Adam has had a really good camp and is playing really well. I expect him to be a good player for us this year."

Ballard is hoping for a career-best season and certainly wouldn't mind surpassing the 1,000-yard mark for yardage and reaching double digits for touchdowns. The native of Lewisville, Texas, is more concerned about achieving two basic goals.

He'd like to start in every game and receive no poor marks during game tape review from the coaching staff.

Navy coaches review film of each game and evaluate whether players go hard from snap to whistle. Failure to do so results in a "lack of effort" on a players' report card.

Ballard didn't accumulate too many "effort" deductions last season while rushing for 792 yards on 154 carries. He probably would have reached the coveted 1,000-yard plateau if not for an ankle injury that limited him to two carries against Eastern Michigan and a broken leg suffered on his second carry against Army. Factor in the Meineke Car Care Bowl and the bruising fullback basically did not play in 11 games.

Backup Eric Kettani performed well in Ballard's place, rushing for 189 yards on 38 carries accumulated mostly over the final three games. Culton said the competition presented by the 6-foot-1, 220-pound Kettani may have provided the impetus for Ballard to get into tip-top shape.

"The greatest motivation is somebody breathing down your neck. When you know there is somebody behind you, you're going to work harder," Culton said.
Ballard, who underwent surgery in December and rehabilitated in time to participate in spring practice, said the injuries are what motivated him.

"I kind of felt like there was unfinished business," he said. "This is my last season and I don't want to have to look back and wonder what if... I don't want any regrets."

To that end, Ballard was a model of discipline during the summer - avoiding the type of food and drink that can add unnecessary weight.

"I tried to be real strict on myself and that involved eating right all the time and staying out of the *****-tonk and karaoke bars," he said.

Going into camp, one of the best position battles figured to come at fullback between Ballard and Kettani. However, that fight never materialized since Ballard took charge from day one.

"Adam had to come out here and earn his spot and he's done that. He's had a much better camp (than Kettani) and there's really been no doubt about who deserves to be No. 1," Culton said.

"I'm looking forward to a big season out of Adam Ballard, and it will go a long way toward determining the success of our football team."

Ballard, who actually played wide receiver as a senior at Marcus High, follows in the footsteps of one of the finest fullbacks in Navy history. He teamed with Matt Hall to replace Kyle Eckel in 2005 and flashed his potential by rushing for 668 yards and six touchdowns. That was the most rushing yards by a Navy sophomore since quarterback Brian Madden had 897 in 1999.

Eckel ranks fourth on Navy's all-time record board with 2,906 career rushing yards and 25 rushing touchdowns. He rushed for 1,249 yards as a junior and scored 11 touchdowns as a senior.

Ballard, whose career average of 5.5 yards per carry is fifth-best in school history, is capable of putting up similar numbers.

"Adam's always been a pretty good player. When he's healthy and he's right he's a load... real hard to tackle," Johnson said. ''Adam and Kyle are a lot different. They're both good players in their own right, but they're different."

Ballard is similar to Eckel in that he's drawn the interest of the National Football League. Johnson confirmed that professional scouts have visited the Naval Academy to evaluate Ballard, watching practice and reviewing game film.

Ballard, who is hoping for a career in the Marine Corps after graduation, has no desire to discuss the prospect of playing in the NFL. The 6-foot-1, 236-pounder will get a chance to impress the scouts in the postseason when he participates in the East-West Shrine All-Star Game, being held Jan. 19 in Houston.

"I think it's a little premature to be talking about that now. My focus is on staying healthy and having the type of senior season I know I'm capable of having," he said.

Senior center Antron Harper said Ballard has been running hard in preseason and thinks his classmate will produce on Saturdays.

"Adam worked real hard during the summer and prepared for this to be his best season ever," Harper said. "He's come out all business and gone full speed in all the drills."
<DIV name="thestorycontainer" ="col_story_text">
<DIV name="thestorycontainer" ="col_story_text">http://www.hometownannapolis.com/cgi-bin/read/2007/08_21-27/ NASEdited by: Jimmy Chitwood

backrow

Hall of Famer
i think Ballard will actually get drafted, 5th round or thereabouts. of course in real world he would be a much higher draft choice than that, but in caste reality that would be a pretty good acomplishment in itself.

what do you think, guys?

jared

Mentor
I'd say it depends on his combine numbers, how he performs at the Shrine Game and if he has somebody (like Mayock for example) hyping him. Navy games aren't televised very often. They probably won't be a Rutgers-like Cinderella story this year. Ballard has no sportscenter/youtube videos of him leaping over defenders. Also, due to Navy's run-dominated offense, nobody knows if he's a valid receiving threat like Leonard is. Unless he runs a sub 4.6 40, I don't see him being more than a UDFA. Peyton Hillis and Owen Schmitt will both go before him and that might be more talented, versatile, big white runners than the NFL is prepared to deal with in one year.
*Ballard certainly has the talent to be an early day two draft choice but I don't think he will be.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
A talented white running back at one of the country's fabled military schools during a time of war? As J. B. Cash wrotethree years ago of Kyle Eckel, Adam Ballard should be a nationally known football star, but also like Eckel, Ballard willbe given noreal opportunityby the NFL, military commitment or no military commitment.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Gi-15 said:
His military commitment will keep him from getting drafted, the same thing happened to Eckel, who was more talented IMO

Military commitment means nothing. This ain't 1964 and Roger Staubach ya know! The Navy realized long ago that it could generate more recruiting buzz if it let the best players go pro and still serve in the offseason. Napoleon McCallum didn't wait five years and neither did David Robinson, of course maybe there's another rule for white guys but if someone wants to play pro the Navy says go for it. Eckels been playing and he only graduated a couple of years ago.

GuyontheRight

Kyle Eckel graduated last in his class and proceeded to resign his commission not two years into his service commitment. Comparing Ballard to Eckel is like apples and oranges; they have different running styles and are very different people. IMHO Ballard is a better back for what Navy does but what Navy does it not what the NFL does. Besides, he is intent on serving in the USMC after graduation.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
GuyontheRight said:
Comparing Ballard to Eckel is like apples and oranges; they have different running styles and are very different people.

Comparing them might well be like apples and oranges toan objective evaluator, but unfortunately to the NFL they are not apples and oranges, they are only one thing -- a white running back and in the NFL whites need not apply for that position. Or at most I-A programs either.

jared

Mentor
Judging by the game tonight vs. Rutgers, Eric Kettani appears to indeed be a better version of Adam Ballard. He hits the holes FAST and strong and looks to be better at shedding tackles or spinning off of contact. He's going to be a beast when Ballard leaves.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Navy beats Notre Dame for the first time since 1963! 46-44

guest301

Hall of Famer
Just finished watching it Reb, Happy for our Navy warriors even though I am a big Notre Dame fan. Did you see the play late in the 4th where the white Navy DE leaped over his blocker and sacked ND QB Evan Sharpley. That has to be one of the most athletic and sensational plays I have ever seen. I hope someone is able to post a clip of that play for all those who missed it.

cjay

GuyontheRight said:
&lt;SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 9pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"&gt;
eaxs said:
They still have that black QB that was accused of rape? If so, &lt;?:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /&gt;&lt;v:shape id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"&gt; &lt;v:stroke joinstyle="miter"&gt;&lt;/v:stroke&gt;&lt;v:ulas&gt;&lt;v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"&gt;&lt;/v:f&gt;&lt;v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"&gt;&lt;/v:f&gt;&lt;v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"&gt;&lt;/v:f&gt;&lt;v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"&gt;&lt;/v:f&gt;&lt;v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"&gt;&lt;/v:f&gt;&lt;v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"&gt;&lt;/v:f&gt;&lt;v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"&gt;&lt;/v:f&gt;&lt;v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"&gt;&lt;/v:f&gt;&lt;v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"&gt;&lt;/v:f&gt;&lt;v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"&gt;&lt;/v:f&gt;&lt;v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"&gt;&lt;/v:f&gt;&lt;v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"&gt;&lt;/v:f&gt;&lt;/v:ulas&gt;&lt;v:path o:connect="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"&gt;&lt;/v:path&gt;&lt;?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /&gt;&lt;o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"&gt;&lt;/o:lock&gt;&lt;/v:shape&gt;&lt;v:shape id=_x0000_i1025 style="WIDTH: 12.75pt; HEIGHT: 12.75pt" alt="" ="#_x0000_t75"&gt;&lt;v:imagedata o:href="http://www.castefootball.us/forum/smileys/smiley11.g if" src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\Adam\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip _image001.gif"&gt;&lt;/v:image&gt;&lt;/v:shape&gt;.
&lt;o:p&gt;&lt;/o:p&gt;&lt;/SPAN&gt;

&lt;SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 9pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"&gt;Mid. Lamar Owens had already exhausted his eligibility after the 2005 season when the alleged incident happened. He was acquitted of the bogus rape charges but was convicted by a military court of conduct unbecoming and ordered to repay $90,000+ to the Academy. This case was much more about gender (and rightly so) than it was about race. I did not follow it super closely, so I would suggest doing some research if you are curious. &lt;o:p&gt;&lt;/o:p&gt;&lt;/SPAN&gt;

&lt;SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 9pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"&gt;A fellow Navy football player, Kenny Ray Morrison (who is white), still faces similar charges after a similar incident, although from what I understand, his degree of culpability is much greater than Owens'. The almost universal consensus here is that Morrison is much more of a "thug" than Owens would ever be (an opinion I share.)&lt;o:p&gt;&lt;/o:p&gt;&lt;/SPAN&gt;

&lt;SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 9pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"&gt;The current Navy quarterback is Kaipo-Noa Kaheaku Enhada, who is from &lt;?:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /&gt;&lt;st1:place w:st="on"&gt;&lt;st1:State w:st="on"&gt;Hawaii&lt;/st1:State&gt;&lt;/st1:place&gt; as you would guess. His backup is former &lt;st1:City w:st="on"&gt;&lt;st1:place w:st="on"&gt;Hoover&lt;/st1:place&gt;&lt;/st1:City&gt; star Jarod Bryant, who may be used at other positions this year if he is unable to win the starting job in fall camp. Eric Kettani is the backup fullback. Runs a sub 4.6 and benches close to 400. Both he and starter Adam Ballard will be used this year.&lt;o:p&gt;&lt;/o:p&gt;&lt;/SPAN&gt;

&lt;SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 9pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"&gt;While I find that what you all call the caste system does exist in the larger game, I assure you that at the &lt;st1:place w:st="on"&gt;&lt;st1:placeName w:st="on"&gt;Naval&lt;/st1:placeName&gt; &lt;st1:place w:st="on"&gt;Academy&lt;/st1:place&gt;&lt;/st1:place&gt; the best player within the system will be the one to play. I hope everyone here also recognizes that the overwhelmingly majority of these young men represent the very best in our society, whether they be white, black, or whatever, and that having met most of them myself can say they are very impressive group both on and off the field. I have no problem with the diversity on this team. &lt;o:p&gt;&lt;/o:p&gt;&lt;/SPAN&gt;

How did this post slip by without comment?

I have a problem with a team that is supposed to represent America's Naval Aceademy being mostly black. Anyone who doesn't have a problem with that shouldn't be posting here.

Realgeorge

Mentor
Notre Dame had tortured Navy for so many years, but the "Irish" deserve their slide into mediocrity because they too have participated fully in the Caste System. The last great White running back at ND was Bob Gladieaux back in the 1960s. The Tyrone Willingham years were disgusting, as were the Lou Holtz disasters.

Realgeorge

Mentor
Navy has defeated Army once again, but it is tainted by an ever-darkening roster. The star players of the game were all Black, and gave poor-English stuttering inverviews after the game. USNA had a reputation of providing excellent White players with a chance, but watch them become evermore ******* with each passing year.

One note on USNA standards: During my Navy days, tattoos were strictly verboten at the Academy. To enter the Academy, surgical removal of all tattoos was required, and many enlisted "Mustangs" who gained appointment to USNA sported tattoo-removal scars. At yesterday's A-N Game, many many many of the Mids could be seen sporting tattoos of every description. The standards plummet with every Neo-Con war that is foisted on the U.S. Military

eaxs

Well, I guess it's official - the US Naval Academy is now a multicultural train wreck.