2007 BYU Cougars

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
BYU's talented wide receiver Austin Collie is receiving some heat after saying that God rewards those who live right, in alluding to the Cougars spectacular win over arch-rival Utah this past Saturday.

Collie said, "Obviously, if you do what's right on and off the field, I think the Lord steps in and plays a part in it. Magic happens."

now personally, i don't think God cares who wins a football game, but then again i could be wrong. however, Collie's comments certainly weren't something offensive, were they? i mean, we've heard blacks say similar things countless times after wins...

however, Collie has been getting LOTS of heat for his 'hate' speech. Collie, to his credit, isn't backing down. here's what he said when the media piranhas started swimming in circles preparing to tear into his flesh.

"I just think it's absolutely ridiculous that people take something like that and blow it up. I really think it's because I'm a Mormon white kid from Brigham Young University. Anybody else says that from any other team and it's just how spiritual that guy is."

congrats to Collie for sticking up for himself. he might be the first white man to not apologize for being 'insensitive' to what the media wants to hear.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I knew about this story, but not Collie's reply, as I've been working hard on a couple of school projects this week. It hasn't been too big of a deal on local radio and TV out here. I'm glad Austin stuck to his guns, although I think this has more to do with the the common "mormon persecution" theme than it does with being white. Any criticism is blamed on anti-mormonism, which is an important aspect of mormonism that their young people are taught. This persecution is supposed to always exist and is a sign that they are the true church. I would have preferred him to have left the mormon part out of his statement, but that is wishful thinking on my part. I am still glad he stood up for himself. He's a great white talent and it is fun to watch him play, which I did this past Saturday. Hopefully BYU will beat San Diego State this week and win their bowl game. If they do, they should be ranked somewhere around 12-14 in the post-bowl rankings.

johnnyboy

Guru
Colonel_Reb said:
I knew about this story, but not Collie's reply, as I've been working hard on a couple of school projects this week. It hasn't been too big of a deal on local radio and TV out here. I'm glad Austin stuck to his guns, although I think this has more to do with the the common "mormon persecution" theme than it does with being white. Any criticism is blamed on anti-mormonism, which is an important aspect of mormonism that their young people are taught. This persecution is supposed to always exist and is a sign that they are the true church. I would have preferred him to have left the mormon part out of his statement, but that is wishful thinking on my part. I am still glad he stood up for himself. He's a great white talent and it is fun to watch him play, which I did this past Saturday. Hopefully BYU will beat San Diego State this week and win their bowl game. If they do, they should be ranked somewhere around 12-14 in the post-bowl rankings.

hey Colonel Reb, i was thinking the same thing. i'm very happy to see austin stand up for himself and assert himself as a man of conviction but i think he was mainly coming from the belief that his people (mormons) are persecuted. i had an ex girlfriend who was mormon and every time i disagreed with her on the topic of religion, or polygamy or joseph smith's deification, she would always accuse me of being anti-mormon. i root for BYU and i love the fact they field an almsot all white team, but i think that has more to do with the mormon church not allowing blacks to be members of their church until 1978, than it has with a genuine desire to fight the caste system. either way i hope applaud BYU forgiving so many white/non black athletes a chance to play D1 football. i wish we had more schools doingthe same.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Whites so seldom stick up for themselves or play the race card that when we do - however tepidly - it should be applauded.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
johnnyboy, one thing is for certain, BYU's previous coach, Gary Crowton, lowered his recruiting standards and let a bunch of blacks in who got into a bit of trouble with the law and the honor code here at BYU. Current coach Bronco Mendenhall is serious about bringing the tradition and honor back to the BYU football program. I think part of this has been a focus on recruiting fewer blacks, and demanding 100% from his players, on the field and off. The results have been great these past 2 years! Outright MWC champs in 2006 and 2007. If BYU can just play some higher profile non-conference teams and win, they will get some national respect that they are beginning to earn. Well, a good MWC TV deal with the main satellite companies would be nice too!
smiley4.gif
After being used to coal black SEC defenses, it is awesome to go watch "my team" and see no blacks on defense, and usually only 1 on offense. Hopefully, BYU will have a couple of white RBs who will get chances to carry the ball before I finish up here. I know I'll miss Mike Hague, but maybe I'll get to see J.J. DiLuigi next year. He'll be back from his injury and should get a shot at some playing time next year.Edited by: Colonel_Reb

johnnyboy

Guru
Colonel_Reb said:
johnnyboy, one thing is for certain, BYU's previous coach, Gary Crowton, lowered his recruiting standards and let a bunch of blacks in who got into a bit of trouble with the law and the honor code here at BYU. Current coach Bronco Mendenhall is serious about bringing the tradition and honor back to the BYU football program. I think part of this has been a focus on recruiting fewer blacks, and demanding 100% from his players, on the field and off. The results have been great these past 2 years! Outright MWC champs in 2006 and 2007. If BYU can just play some higher profile non-conference teams and win, they will get some national respect that they are beginning to earn. Well, a good MWC TV deal with the main satellite companies would be nice too!
smiley4.gif
After being used to coal black SEC defenses, it is awesome to go watch "my team" and see no blacks on defense, and usually only 1 on offense. Hopefully, BYU will have a couple of white RBs who will get chances to carry the ball before I finish up here. I know I'll miss Mike Hague, but maybe I'll get to see J.J. DiLuigi next year. He'll be back from his injury and should get a shot at some playing time next year.

i agree 100 percent Colonel Reb. im glad they got rid of Crowton. now i just hope they can keep Mndenhall for awhile. hes done a great job so far and i really think he's committed to giving white/athletes the same opportunities that blacks get. i really think of BYU as a slap in the face to all the caste dominated schools out there who only recruit blacks. it just goes to show what a good nearly all white team can do against mostly black competition. i only wish more of the upper echelon white recruits would start seeing the benefit of attending BYU or a white friendly school, instead of going to a traditional caste school and never being allowed to play or being forced to change positions. i wish guys like Hillis or Tre smith would hav gone to BYU or CSU. could you imagine the numbers these guys would have put up? i also cant wait to see DiLuigi next year. i saw him on tv for the De Lasalle vs Canyon state champ. game. he had some barry sanders like moves. once he adds some of that college muscle i think he'll be a force for BYU. also, he looks like a great kid. he was so respectful in the post game interviews. a class act.

cheers Colonel Reb.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
something too few fans get the chance to see in the days of scatter-shot and scatter-brained negro quarterbacks... a quarterback standing tall in the pocket: BYU's Max Hall.

maxhallstandstallinthepocket.jpg

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
and his athletic speedster target, wide receiver Austin Collie.

austincollietd.jpg

Lance Alworth

Mentor
BYU is kicking ass again, and I love it! I also love this Austin Collie kid for speaking his mind refusing to back down to the anti-white, pro-black media. Kudos to Mr Collie

jared

Mentor
Well BYU pulls out the win in the Las Vegas Bowl with a blocked FG in the last seconds. Austin Collie was player of the game with 100+ yards and a TD. Congrats to BYU, that was an enjoyable game to watch.

p.s. I think I heard they're only losing one SR. on their offense next year. They'll be returning QB Max Hall, TE Dennis Pitta, WR Collie, and hopefully we'll see the debut of RB JJ DiLuigi.Edited by: jared

eaxs

I agree, it was a pretty fun game but I wish BYU's offense would have made more more plays. Especially those long passes to Collie. However, this gives the Cougars alot of confidence heading into next season when hopefully they will a serious run at a BCS birth.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
I guess BYU is also convinced white men can't run the football. The RB's in that game were named Tonga, Unga, Vakapuna, which sounds like a native war chant.

Can't wait for the day that Utah becomes majority Polynesian, I bet the anti-tobacco and booze thing goes out the door then, also the multiple wives thing will be back.

jared

Mentor
jaxvid said:
I guess BYU is also convinced white men can't run the football. The RB's in that game were named Tonga, Unga, Vakapuna, which sounds like a native war chant.

Can't wait for the day that Utah becomes majority Polynesian, I bet the anti-tobacco and booze thing goes out the door then, also the multiple wives thing will be back.

They recruited California phenom JJ DiLuigi last year. I think he'll receive considerable playing time in years to come.

jaxvid said:

BYU doesn't have any good feature white backs right now. DiLuigi was on the shelf for the season, and Hague went on his mission. Still, I find Polynesian Mormon players more tolerable than just going to South Central or Oak-town and getting Lavarious Gangbanger like everyone else on the west coast.

Besides, Air Force is probably the only team in the country with more white skill players.Edited by: FieldThrower

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Some BYU football news for 2008:

The season opener is at home on August 30 against Northern Iowa. Other non-conference games are at Washington on September 6, at home against UCLA on September 13, and at Utah State on October 3.

Head Coach Bronco Mendenhall has announced Jaime Hill has been promoted to defensive coordinator. The move formalizes the capacity Hill has served in over the past season. While Mendenhall will maintain play-calling responsibilities on game-day, Hill is responsible for managing the essential aspects of running the defensive unit.

"I'm very grateful for this opportunity for personal growth within this profession; especially with this great program at Brigham Young University," Hill said. "I truly believe the foundation was laid by Coach Edwards and his staff, along with the players. Coach Mendenhall's staff and players have brought back the past glory, and have created their own line of history that will be passed down. This is something we can build upon for the future, and the future looks bright."

Since arriving at BYU for the 2006 season, Hill has played a significant role in the defensive secondary's marked improvement. In the two seasons since his arrival, BYU is averaging 17 interceptions, 50.5 pass break-ups and is allowing just under 208 yards passing per game. In addition, due in part to improved coverage, sacks have also increased to an average 28 per season since Hill's arrival.

In 2007 the Cougars finished as the 10th ranked defense in the country. Rushing defense finished the season ranked 9th nationally, passing defense jumped to 32nd and the team finished ninth nationally in scoring defense, allowing just 18.5 points per game.

"Coach Hill has made a tremendous impact on our defense in the time he has been here and this is a way for us to recognize him for his contributions," Mendenhall said. "This promotion gives Coach Hill the formal responsibility of handling the day-to-day duties of running the defense, allowing me to focus my attention on other aspects of the program. I have a lot of respect for Coach Hill and the work he has done, and I am confident this will give our defense the opportunity to continue to improve."

Jaime Hill

a-Hill_Jaime-spring06.jpg

We'll see how this affects the look of BYU's defense over the next couple of years. I will say that it is likely that BYU will have one black starter on defense next year, but it isn't guaranteed.

Riddlewire

Master
I imagine his title of DC will give him much more say in recruiting matters. And, even if he doesn't seek to overhaul the racial makeup of BYU, you can bet that the other coaches will feel obliged to recruit more black players for his defensive unit, lest they be labeled 'racists'. That's how the system works. It always starts with black coaches. I've written about this a couple of times on this forum. It's very easy for traditionally white athletic programs in majority-white states to become permanent ganglands that are impossible to wipe clean. And it always starts with the hiring of a black coach. Arkansas with Nolan Richardson, Mississippi State with Sly Croom, Georgetown with John Thompson. Those programs will never again have a significant number of white starters. Once a school gets a reputation as a "black school" (see Georgetown, Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech, Florida State), the label sticks forever. White players won't even apply to the school and the problem perpetuates itself.

BYU's strict honor code will weed out most undesirables. I doubt BYU is becoming a majority black team any time soon. BYU has had Polynesian coaches for a while, and they still recruited a good amount of white players.

Then again, I could be wrong.

Edited by: FieldThrower

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
FieldThrower is correct about the Honor Code weeding out a lot of bad apples. Gary Crowton tried to get blacks and it backfired. The team stunk and the blacks broke the Honor Code and got kicked out. Now there is a desire among most to just bring in people who can live with the BYU rules. I really don't see this affecting the overall racial makeup of the team but I do think it may have an impact on the secondary. We'll see.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
BYUsigns 21, 18 fromhigh school and 3 from JuCo, 9 whites, 9 non-whites, 3 blacks.
smiley5.gif
Pretty sad stuff. The whites are 2 OL, 1 PK, 1 DB, 1 WR, 1 TE,2 LB, and 1 RB/LB. The non-whites are 2 DL, 1 OL, 2 DB, 1 LB/RB, 2 LB, and 1 RB. The blacks are 2 WR and 1 DB (I've seen him play and he's way over-rated).

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
At least AF (and their all-white offense and defense) will be there to expose the new "multicultural" BYU.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Well, we'll see who makes the field. Remember, BYU uses walk-ons quite a bit as well. There are several white stars expected to return over the next 2 years. I doubt things will change that much this year, but this is definitely a step towards the Caste System. By chance today, I had a conversation with polynesian Sete Aulai, a graduating senior who is Mormon. He was telling me about how he is staying in shape to work out on Pro-Day and trying to get on with an NFL team. He's trying to be a center. Upon me telling him I a Mississippi native, he asked me what my favorite teams were down there. I told him I still cheer for my alma-mater, Delta State, and that I used to be a big Ole Miss fan, but that I don't have any favorite teams in the SEC. I told him I like BYU a lot, but for a long time I had been a fan of Colorado State and Air Force. You should have seen the puzzled look on his face. It was hilarious!
smiley36.gif
All hesaid was how interesting that was and that he didn't expect to hear me name those two teams. He had to leave then, so I didn't get to explain my reasons to him, but it was interesting nonetheless.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
By the way, for those of you who are wondering what my reaction is to BYU's recruiting class being noticeably less whitethan Iargued it would remain,I am both surprised and saddened. I just want you who appear to be correct to know that I'm sitting down to a nice meal of crow.
smiley4.gif
smiley5.gif
smiley18.gif

Colonel_Reb said:
By the way, for those of you who are wondering what my reaction is to BYU's recruiting class being noticeably less white than I argued it would remain, I am both surprised and saddened. I just want you who appear to be correct to know that I'm sitting down to a nice meal of crow.
smiley4.gif
smiley5.gif
smiley18.gif

Many of the whites that started last year were preferred walk-ons and transfers. Dennis Pitta, Max Hall, Joe Semanoff and Ben Criddle to name a few. Maybe these guys want to go to BYU so badly that they pay their own way, saving scholarships. BYU is also getting a load of white return missionaries this fall. I don't think they are jumping onto the caste bandwagon just yet, so I'll remain optimistic.

Technically, Polys aren't really the "caste bandwagon" anyway. It just happens that many are big and strong and happen to be Mormon. Maybe there was just a big crop this year. They aren't very popular caste gets outside of DT and maybe LB. 3 blacks isn't that big. SEC teams get that many at each position. It's actually down from previous BYU classes (especially the forgetful '04 one).
Edited by: FieldThrower