2006 Pittsburgh Panthers

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Here are the whites projected to start this season.

Offense
QB-Tyler Palko
TE-Steve Buches
LT-John Bachman
RT-Mike McGlynn
C-Joe Villani
RG-John Simonitis

Defense
WLB-Bryan Bennett
RDE-Chris McKillop

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Among the first things Caste System true believer Dave Wannstedt did upon becoming Pitt's coach for the '05 season was blacken the defense (which turned out to be horrible), and bench Joe DelSardo, who had become a starting WRmid-way through'04.

DelSardo was a walk-on (is there any other kind of white WR?), a local kid and feel-good story who though just 5-8 exhibited hands of glue and a knack for getting open and making key plays. In his sophomore year of '04 he had 49/573/4. Last season he was replaced early on by Derek Kinder, who ended up with 37/374/3. The other starter was Greg Lee, who left Pitt early to try to make the NFL.

That should leave DelSardo and Kinder as the starters for this year, right? Of course not. Here's a few quotes from an article about Pitt's receivers from this morning's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. It's quite easy to see where DelSardo fits in:

"Tyler Palko will throw the ball plenty for the Pitt Panthers this year. That much is certain. The big question is who will catch it. . . . 'Right now, there is Derek Kinder and a lot of uncertainty,' wide receivers coach Aubrey Hill said. 'Derek and Joe DelSardo have some playing experience, but it really is wide open. Obviously, Derek is the player who has been solid throughout the whole time from last year until the spring and into the summer. But everyone else, who knows? I mean we will treat Joe DelSardo like the veteran, and he's made some plays for us, so we will find a role for him'."

Translation: Another dubious-handed afflete will start alongside Kinder. DelSardo, in his senior season, will be the third or fourth receiver, special teams demon, and team mascot.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Man what a joke! Maybe these guys will get hurt just to even things up a little. I don't think thats a mean wish either, its only fair I'd say, especially when you think about how these guys get shafted time after time.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Pitt's starting tailback going into this season is 5-7 and 175 pounds. I doubt there is a whiteRB anywhere in the country who would be allowed to be even a walk-on backup at a major I-A program at that size.

Whites of that height certainly can be great running backs -- Brian Shea and Josh Ranek come to mind, but both played at small college programs and neither was given a shot by the NFL.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
5-7, 175? He makes John Avery seem huge by comparison!
smiley36.gif

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
5' 6" Maurice Drew was a high draft pick by Jax this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see pygmies play in the NFL, as long as they were black pygmies.
smiley36.gif

KG2422

Mentor
Don Wassall said:
5' 6" Maurice Drew was a high draft pick by Jax this year.  I wouldn't be surprised to see pygmies play in the NFL, as long as they were black pygmies. 
smiley36.gif

I was a 5' 6" 175lb. tailback coming out of high school. I thought I could get to around 195-200lbs and be a Joe Morris type of runner. I ran a 4.5 and played well in high school and the only nibble I got from a college coach was one who wanted me to return kicks and play slot receiver(juco in California). He told my dad he liked to play Whites "wherever he could". Of course that wasn't at tailback or corner.