2006 Alabama Crimson Tide

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Here are the projected white starters for 2006.

Offense
QB-John Parker Wilson
LT-Chris Capps
RT-Kyle Tatum

Defense
MLB-Matt Collins
RDE-Bobby Greenwood

Look for WR's Will Oakley and Matt Caddell to see some use this season.

KG2422

Mentor
Those would be the first White wr's I've seen play for Alabama in a while. It's unusual that their tackles are White while the interior 3 are Black.

voice

Guru
It is a good thing they have some White WR's..I was at the Alabama-LSU game last year and they had stonehands..I felt sorry for Brodie Coyle

Nice Job on all the info Colonel Reb!

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
No problem voice! This is what I live for, now that I'm not a sheeple disciple of the used to be "Rebels." This gives me a constructive way to get my college football fix!

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
redeye, your link didn't work for me, so i'll just post the article in its entirety below... thanks for the info, though!

Speedy Oakley may get big shot</font></font>
Friday, October 20, 2006
IAN R. RAPOPORT
News staff writer

TUSCALOOSA - Will Oakley has some speed.

That's what they all say. A sprinter in high school, if Oakley's not the fastest player on Alabama, he's at least in the top two or three.

Thus far, the prowess of the Alabama receiver has been hidden from virtually everyone.

"I don't think he's got a chance to showcase his speed on the field yet," quarterback John Parker Wilson said. "But he can move."

Consider that just one aspect of Oakley that has remained shrouded in the secrecy that comes with being a No. 3 receiver.

While he has run solid routes in practice and fought for reps in games, Keith Brown and DJ Hall have become stars. The duo is the fourth most productive receiving tag-team in the country averaging a combined 159.4 yards per game.

Oakley has mostly backed up Brown, playing when his classmate needs a breather or in three- and four-receiver sets.

That could change Saturday when the Crimson Tide (5-2, 2-2 Southeastern Conference) visits No. 7 Tennessee (5-1, 1-1) at 2:30 p.m. on CBS.

This week, Brown is fighting a knee injured he sustained against Ole Miss. Hall is fighting a shoulder injury he sustained against Florida.

Figure the door is at least open for Oakley, a third-year sophomore who has six catches for 69 yards.

He hopes to build on his play in the win over the Rebels, when he had three catches for 33 yards. His biggest reception was on a 3rd-and-three from the 18-yard line in overtime when he caught a five-yard pass from Wilson to extend the final drive.

"I think he's ready to do it," coach Mike Shula said. "I think Saturday is the kind of glimpse of what he can do, and we've kind of seen that all season, from the start of training camp. We just haven't been able to get him out on the field much because Keith and DJ have been having such a good year."

Oakley grew up a Crimson Tide fan. His parents attended Alabama, and his grandfather works as the Placement Director in the College of Communication and Information Sciences.

It is for games like this weekend's that he committed early to Alabama in October of 2003.

"I grew up hating Auburn and Tennessee and loving Alabama," said Oakley, the 6-foot-1, 192-pounder from Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla., who received at least 15 messages from back home after his overtime catch.

For Oakley to rise on the depth chart took some work.

A defensive back through his junior year in high school, he only learned to play receiver the summer before he was a senior. He went to a few camps, talked to a few coaches, and learned on the fly. By the time he was done, he was a Mr. Football nominee and led the state with 1,283 receiving yards.

Much of that can be attributed to his speed, about which he's reluctant to speak. When pressed, Oakley will finally allow that yes, he is "one of the fastest. (Safety) Rashad Johnson ran the fastest 40-yard dash, and I was right behind him."

To his teammates, no big shock. They've seen the tools.

"Everybody on the team knows Will is good," running back Kenneth Darby said. "It was just, he had the opportunity to show what he could do."

Which makes one wonder: If Oakley is so talented, where has he been?

Injured.

The hamstring. Always the hamstring. Oakley estimated that he's injured that part of his body four different times over three years.

As recently as this spring, his work was limited because of it. If anything, that's where the questions are. Not in talent, but in dependability.

"He's coming along and he's carrying himself a lot better," offensive coordinator Dave Rader said. "But his issue - if I can use that word - is not going to be whether he can do it, but whether he can sustain it."

Key for Oakley is simply showing Wilson and the rest of his teammates that he'll be able to do just that.

"It's all about proving myself," he said. "So (Wilson) will know I'm going to do my job."
willoakley.jpg

Will Oakley

whiteCB

Master
Wow the Crimson Tide with a white skill player on their team. Thats a shocker but too bad he'll never start playing for Mike Shula. Father Don taught Mike well about how whitey is not as good as the black man when it comes to football.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Mike Shula is out. Seems like another case of what happened to David Cutcliffe.

Crimson Tide rolling on to next coach</font>
By JOHN ZENOR-AP
TUSCALOOSA, Ala. â€â€￾ Long famed for titles, bowls and Bear Bryant, Alabama is gaining a reputation for something far less complimentary: coaching turnover and turmoil.

"It's what Alabama is known for right now," defensive end Wallace Gilberry said. "One day we're going to find the right fit who's going to come in here and turn the program around."

The Crimson Tide is once again in the market for a head coach, its fourth in six years, after athletic director Mal Moore announced Mike Shula's firing on Monday. Moore said he would look for a "proven winner" and that defensive coordinator Joe Kines would serve as interim coach for the bowl-eligible Tide.

Alabama thought for a time it had the right fit with Shula. While he had no previous head coaching experience, he was a former Crimson Tide quarterback and heir to a famous pro football name. And the Tide rewarded Shula with a lucrative new contract following last year's 10-2 season, clearly believing things were looking up heading into his fourth year.

But a 6-6 season, ending in three straight losses _ to SEC weakling Mississippi State along with LSU and Auburn, two Western Division rivals Shula never could beat _ signaled the end. Shula was a combined 0-for-8 against LSU and Auburn and is the only Tide coach to lose four straight to Auburn.

Moore and university president Robert Witt decided late Sunday afternoon to fire Shula and start over again.

Moore praised Shula on Monday for providing "stability for our program through four years of NCAA probation" that ends Feb. 1, 2007.

"However, we did not make progress on the field this season and have not been able to maintain the positive momentum necessary to return Alabama football to a place among college football's elite programs," Moore said.

Moore didn't name any potential candidates but said he was beginning a national search. The most high-profile names on Tide fans' wish list _ South Carolina's Steve Spurrier and the Miami Dolphins' Nick Saban _ both said Monday they were staying put.

"I have not talked with any coach, but that process will begin in the next day or so," Moore said.

Meanwhile, Kines said he hopes the school gets to go to a bowl this season.

"This group wants to go," he said.

Shula, 41, said he was "deeply disappointed" in Moore's decision. He maintained he left Alabama in better shape than the program he inherited, which was weakened by NCAA sanctions, when he replaced a fired Mike Price in May 2003.

"From my very first day on this job, I had a single mission: To return the Crimson Tide to its place among the elite programs in college football," he said in a statement. "Although I maintain that we were moving steadily in that direction, I regret sincerely that I will not be given the opportunity to finish the job I was hired to do."

Shula's six-paragraph statement was partly defiant but mostly complimentary of Alabama and the players. It concluded with "Roll Tide."

That 10-win season, he said, "was no fluke, it was evidence of a program on the rise."

Moore said he and Shula discussed the status of the program during the season, but the coach's fate wasn't decided until a meeting with Witt and school trustees late Sunday afternoon. He didn't inform Shula of the decision until after the coach had already spoken to his players that evening.

"His leadership has provided our program with much-needed stability during the past four years, and we appreciate that, as our coach, he has demonstrated impeccable character and class in every way," Witt said in a written statement. He attended an afternoon news conference but did not speak or field questions.

Shula, who went 26-23 in four seasons, started his first head coaching job in difficult fashion. He took over the proud but troubled program less than four months before the 2003 season after Price was fired following spring practice for his off-the-field behavior _ mainly a night of drinking at a Pensacola, Fla., strip club. Price got the job after Dennis Franchione bolted for Texas A&M after just two years.

Moore spoke to the players about Shula's firing at noon Monday. Shula was not present.

Moore said most of the candidates would likely be coaching in a bowl game, and that the search could take a while.

"I will respect their ability to work with their teams," he said. "This will take time."

Shula, son of Pro Football Hall of Fame coach Don Shula, spent 15 years as an NFL assistant before he took the Alabama job.

He received a new six-year contract in May worth $1.55 million per year. The deal extended his contract two years through early 2012, with a raise of $650,000 plus a $200,000 signing bonus. The buyout tab comes to some $4 million.

The firing of Shula means Alabama is looking for a head coach for the fourth time since 2000. The Tide has had seven coaches in the 24 years since legendary coach Paul "Bear" Bryant's last season in 1982. Bryant had directed the Alabama program for 25 years.

Center Antoine Caldwell seemed bemused that his coach could be fired so soon after that successful 2005 season.

"I just feel like coach Shula had everything in place," Caldwell said. "I feel like he had complete, 100 percent control of this football team. I feel like he had our program on track. It's almost like we didn't go 10-2, we didn't finish ranked No. 8 in the country, like that didn't even happen."

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Some players to look for in 2007, WR WIll Oakley, DB Forress Rayford, DL Bobby Greenwood. John Parker Wilson will in all likelyhood be the starting QB.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Stadium full at A-Day

Foxsports.com
<DIV =firstP>TUSCALOOSA, Ala. (AP) - Nick Saban is already filling Alabama's Bryant-Denny Stadium - and then some.

An overflow crowd of 92,138-plus fans attended the Crimson Tide's spring game Saturday, nearly doubling the school's A-Day attendance record and forcing university officials to start turning people away in the first half.

That kind of turnout for essentially a scrimmage was yet another indication of how much Saban's hiring in January has stirred up a rabid fan base hungry for a championship.

"It shows the passion that people have for the University of Alabama, and it certainly makes me feel great about being here as head coach," Saban said.

The previous high attendance for an Alabama A-Day game was 51,117 at Birmingham's Legion Field in 1988. Admission was free.

The previous best for a Southeastern Conference spring game was believed to have been 73,000 at Tennessee in 1986, according to Alabama. The 92,138-seat stadium was full, and there were fans watching from the ramps also.

They saw quarterback John Parker Wilson lead the White team to a 20-13 win over the Crimson, led by the first-team defense. He completed 18-of-36 passes for 244 yards and a pair of touchdowns.

But the fans delivered more impressive numbers.

"It was awesome," Wilson said. "We were standing around there like, 'Man, there's a lot of people here.' We didn't expect that many people. To see that kind of support just makes us feel good."

Cornerback Simeon Castille said he would have been content to watch on TV instead of braving the traffic for an intrasquad game if he were a fan.

"I still can't believe it, really," Castille said. "It's a spring game and we have 92,000 people here."

The fans came wearing "Sabanation" and "Got Nick?" T-shirts, and started arriving several hours before the game. All this for a scrimmage by a team coming off a 6-7 season that closed with four consecutive losses and hasn't won a Southeastern Conference title since 1999.

Alabama lured Saban away from the Miami Dolphins after his second season in the NFL with an eight-year deal worth some $32 million. He drew heat for his repeated denials that he was a candidate for the job, making the fans' excitement that much sweeter.

"What we did today sends a message that there's a lot of support and enthusiasm for what's happening here right now," Saban said. "I certainly appreciate it. It makes me and my family feel good about being here.

"God knows we went through little bit to get here, but we're happy to be here."

Wearing a sports coat and tie, Saban paced around the field throughout the game, standing about 15 yards behind the line of scrimmage for each play and mostly content to be an observer.

"You see the body language. You see how guys react and respond," said Saban, who drew a standing ovation just jogging across the field before the game. "I thought that was better. What our guys have had to learn is that your body language tells the other guy how it's going. If I'm showing that I'm hurt, I'm showing the guy he's getting the best of me. It's kind of like a boxer's mentality."

The Tide's two biggest offensive weapons from last season had big games. Wilson found DJ Hall for a 17-yard touchdown late in the third quarter. Hall was the game MVP after catching five passes for 87 yards.

The game didn't shed much light on the tailback competition. Glen Coffee opened with the No. 1 offense and had four carries for 15 yards before leaving with what Saban described as a minor shoulder injury.

Last year's backup, Jimmy Johns, gained 26 yards on six carries. Terry Grant had 47 yards on eight carries along with five catches for 29 yards, and Saban said the speedy Grant could fit in well as part of a tandem with bigger backs like Johns and Coffee.

Backup quarterback Greg McElroy was 14-of-33 for 139 yards with a touchdown.

"Today was one of our better days this spring," Wilson said of the offense. "We took care of the ball. We didn't have any interceptions, we didn't have any fumbles. We moved the ball."