2005 NBA Playoffs

Bart

Hall of Famer
Excerpts from Steve Kerr'scolumn, Yahoo Sports.

DALLAS - After watching Steve Nash dominate theDallas Mavericksagain Friday night in Game 6, I was struck by a single thought: Nash just completed one of the greatest series performances in NBA playoff history.

Nash did it all on Friday night. He scored. He dished. He controlled the tempo and hit huge shots. He led the Suns back from a 16-point deficit late in the third quarter with his amazing shooting, clutch passing and timely rebounding.

His three-pointer with five seconds left in regulation tied the game. Then he took over in overtime, teaming with Shawn Marion to score 18 of the Suns' 19 points.

He led Phoenix to the franchise's first conference finals since 1993. And in doing so, he not only proved his worthiness of the MVP award, he also provided basketball fans with one of the greatest shows they'll ever see

speedster

Mentor
I've heard a lot of dumb racist comments made over the years.Two of my faves would be John Thompson's answer when asked why he doesn't recruit white players.He said flat-out that he thinks white players just are not good enough.That comment made it in,I believe,The Sporting News in the late 80's and received no reaction.The secound dumb comment came from our buddy Bill Walton when he said something to the effect that becuause of all the terrible things white people have done to blacks over the years that every white person deserved to be held-up by a black at gun-point and robbed.Is that the stupidest thingyou have ever heard.

Bart

Hall of Famer
speedster said:
The secound dumb comment came from our buddy Bill Walton when he said something to the effect that becuause of all the terrible things white people have done to blacks over the years that every white person deserved to be held-up by a black at gun-point and robbed.Is that the stupidest thingyou have ever heard.

Walton is a product of the sixties cultural revolution, which was led by the Berkeley radicals in California. The multi-cult, anti-white crowd is filled with them. He was a great player and when healthy had an all-around game that was second to none as he proved , winning the MVP and leading Portland to the NBA Championship.

I heard Dan Patrick ask John Wooden who was the better all-round basketball player, Walton or Jabbar?Wooden said he developed a grading system having tencategorieswhich he rated fron one to ten.Based on his system, Walton was the better overall player. Walton kept interrupting Wooden, emphasizing how great Jabbar was and Bill refused to receive any praise from John or Dan.

So, you see, he has become so brainwashed, he finds it almost impossible to credit himself, much less any other white players. On rare occasions he'll talk up a white guy but then will go on and on about blacks to make up for it.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
No doubt he's been brainwashed like millions of whites throughout the US, but I got two other words for you, he's scared.

surfsider

Guru
Walton is a fool. The only commentator I've heard praise Nash's athletic ability was Steve Jones on the broadcast last night. Right after his comment, Walton followed up with the brillant assessment that Nash could jump over two pieces of paper. Jones countered by saying that Earl Monroe couldn't jump over two pieces of paper but that nobody said he wasn't athletic.
Think how much better a player Luke Walton would be if he didn't have to live down to his father's expectations.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Good one, and true at that surfsider!

Bart

Hall of Famer
This quote by Mark Cuban had me rolling on the floor. Who does he think he's kidding? Brilliantmove by idiot multi-millionaire. I wonder if Rodman still lives in his house?

"If we kept Steve, it would have been a completely different team," Cuban said. "And I like this team a whole lot better."Edited by: Bart

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Man, what are these guys smoking?

Kaptain

Master
Just an observation: The Spurs and Suns the real NBA championship today as no one can really want to watch the barn-yard basketball they still play in the eastern conference. The best to players on both these team is white. That's right, I believe Manu ginobli has replaced Tim Duncan as the teams best player. Duncan is still a very good player but is no were near the championship form he was in years ago. Manu has been unbelievable in the playoffs as has Nash for the Suns. It's too bad that it's not the official NBA finals.

With that being said, both teams seem to have the same weakness: Their white superstars are the only reliable three point shooters on their teams. Phoniex is especially horrible. I don't know how many times I've seen Nash kick out to a wide open black player behind the three-point line and watch him clank the shot. Ginobli too gets little help on the kick out as tony parker's shooting has been abismal. Has he made a three-pointer in the playoffs yet? Why isn't Barry playing more? Ooops! I forgot too many white guys on the court at one time. It's comical how Ginobli and Barry have to split time. Both Nash and Ginobli could use a sharpshooter out on the court with them. End of rant.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Ginobli,Barry and Duncan were the stars today as the
Spurs knocked off the Suns in a big upset.Brent Barry
had 21 points as he hit 5 three pointers.What a game
and what a series this will be.Steve Nash did have
another great game with 29 points.I can't wait for game
two.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Guys, I didn't even get to see it. I was out shooting snakes and gar with a buddy. When is game 2 by the way? I'll definitely try to watch it.

speedster

Mentor
Well surprise,surprise Steve Nash has another big game.You wouldn't think that he would if you a had listened to ESPN radio last night.John Siebel,I guess that's how you spell it,and his partner Freddie the black guy took a call from a black guy who said that the only reason Nash had a big series last round was because Dallas doesn't know what defence is,Siebel and black Freddie laughed and laughed and totally agreed that Nash wouldn't be that much of a factor against the Spurs,in fact Siebel babbled something about Joe Johnson being more of a factor than Nash,since he can create more away from the ball.Ho and humthese guys are getting so boring.

Kaptain

Master
Everybody loves Tony! Its halftime and Nash looks like he is going to score forty tonight, but all the talking heads can talk about is how Tony Parker is scorching Nash in this series. Similar to the talk about him scorching Luke Ridnour last series.

Only two white starters from both teams - Nash and Ginobli. If they don't have superstar ability whites cannot start. Brent Barry seems to play well ever chance he gets, I would like to see him and Ginobli start. Rasho Nesterovic (sp?) was a starter most of the season and by most accounts proved worthy, but if you're white getting injured often means you may ride the bench the rest of your career.

Final thought. Ever notice in these playoffs that the great passing is almost all done by white players?

One more final thought. How bout Stephen A. Smith begging for Manu Ginobli to get roughed up.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, is Manu talented! As great as Nash is, he has the talent to take it to another level, maybe as good as it's ever been.

But he is only three years younger than Steve. He'll be 28 in July. Reminds me of the NFL, where those rare white WRs who get a chance to shine have to go through an ungodly lengthy "apprenticeship" --if you want to callplaying the role of a junkyard dog an apprenticeship.

Think Manu, who is one of the very best players in the NBA and getting better, will actually get to be a full-time starter next season?

SteveB

Mentor
Ginobli and Nash, all I can say is incredible. I am glad my Spurs won, but I felt bad for Nash. The guy is an ironman. He played all but three posessions of the entire game. Stoudamire had a ton of points but all of them were setup by Nash. Ginobli was great, especially that behind the back drive and finish. It's too bad that both of these guys are not from the U.S. It goes to show that the caste system is suppressing the American white superstar. The NBA has to go overseas to find them.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Things are slowly changing for the better regardless.I
haven't seen this many white stars in the nba since the
1980's.I don't care where they come from.These guys will
inspire kids from here to become basketball stars.Don't
forget that Andrew Bogut was College Player of the Year
and JJ Reddick(american)finished 2nd in the voting.We
are already seeing a influx.This years McDonalds High
School All American Game had at least 5 kids who could
really play.
On a final note,Ginobli is the man.I rememeber two
years ago against the Lakers in the playoffs.He had 2
dunks in a game where he dunked on 3 or 4 guys at one
time.They all went up to block him.One of the dunks was
a 180 degree reverse dunk.He can dribble as good as
anyone in the league.He literally makes guys fall out
of their sneakers trying to guard him.He is so much
fun to watch!Go Spurs!On a side note,keep your head
up Nash.You are the class of the league.

Kaptain

Master
The difference I see in the two teams is that the spurs actually have guys who are feared from the three point line - Brent barry, ginobili, and Robert Horry. Nash is the only real threat from down town on the suns. The suns have hit a lot of threes this season, but they have been set-up all year by Nash. This series is much more difficult as the defense is better. I don't see too many mid-range jumpers hit either by the suns other than Nash. The Spurs just have many more offensive weapons. If the suns lose this series all we will here about is how tony parker dominated Steve Nash. I am sick and tired of hearing about tony parker. Manu is the man on that team no doubt. I was surprised tohere Bill Walton say that he was too. He seems to have split personalities.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Nash had another double double last night, 29 points, 15 assists, along
with 8 rebounds. Tim Duncan scored 30 points but no double digits in
any other statistical category. Spurs get the win, so Duncan is
the man. But despite outpeforming the 'man' statistically, Nash
is going to be labeled a failure and as one of those guys who can't
take his team to the next level or win the big game.

Heaven forbid the Suns get swept in this series. All the great work
Nash has done this year will be swept away along with his team, in the
eyes of the media and its unforgiving fans.

At least the Heat lost their first game.
smiley5.gif

speedster

Mentor
Nash and Ginobili are just incredible,they are the best players on their respective teams.It's like they have that little extra,the anticipation,they know what's going to happen before it happens.As the late-great Tony the Tiger used to say they're grrrrrrrrreat.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
People forget that the Suns are also playing short
handed.Nash played just about every minute last night
and he was tired.All year long the Suns have played
heavy minutes(40+)a night.I think they are wearing down
after a long season.The Spurs have a way deeper bench
than the Suns.Maybe now the Suns will realize they should
have kept Z,Carkapa and the 3 point guy out of UCLA.
I think his name was Casey of something.They cleaned
house.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Did you catch Jim Gray's interview with Tim Duncan after the game? He asked him about Manu's play, in particular some of the spectacular shots he made like the one where he moved the ball behind his back in mid-flight. Duncan said something like "We were praying that they would go in."

Gray had set Duncan up to say something very complimentary about Ginobili, but Duncan declined. It's part of a phenomenon we have mentioned before, how whites are so effusive in their praise of black athletes while black athletes are much more restrained when talking about white ones. Duncan is a class act, one of the good guys in the league, but even he played his racial role in the interview.

BTW, did you notice that Bill "The Idiot" Walton called Manu's behind the back basket the best play he had ever seen? Walton's so schizo when it comes to race, combining nice compliments about white players with really demeaning ones.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
One of the only good things about this years playoffs
is that both Nash and Ginobli have gotten more get p.r.
on average than any white b-ball player since L.Bird!
Especially Ginoli off late.He is being compared to guys
like T-Mac,Lebron,Carmello,and others.I personally think
he is better than all of them.At least McGrady can play
some defense which is more than I can say for the other
guys.Manu Ginobli is a superstar.He plays harder than
anyone out their on both ends of the court.His moves
and athletecism are astounding.Manu Mania is running
wild.He is doing what Mike Miller and others should be
doing on a consistant basis!Hopefully,he will lead by
example with many future players to follow suit!Go Spurs!

SteveB

Mentor
I think that the difference between Ginobli and other white players is his aggressiveness. Too many white guys are afraid of making a mistake, so they play much more reserved. Manu doesn't care if he makes a mistake, he just makes it up with hustle on the next play. As much as I like Brent Barry, sometimes he is so passive that he passes up open shots and layups. Maybe Manu's example will carry over to the other guys.

JD074

Master
Yeah, Nash had 29 points and 14 or 15 assists and somehow he was "contained." Parker even gloated over it a little bit after the game. He's one of my least favorite players. Everyone says he's European but he's half American, so it's no wonder that he's inconsistent and has a "style over substance" type game.