Wrestling to be Dropped from Olympics!

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
According to a report, wrestling will be dropped from the Olympics starting in 2020: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/12/wrestling-dropped-from-olympics_n_2667664.html

Must be taking valuable time and space from true sports like rythmic gymnastics, water polo, horse jumping, badminton and synchronized swimming.

I mean seriously, wasn't wrestling one of the original events in the Greek Olympics?

As we see in MMA, wrestling is one of the most effective martial arts on the planet. Get rid of B.S. martial arts like tae kwan do before getting rid of a true sport like wrestling!

Of course, it is another sport that white men dominate.

frederic38

Hall of Famer
i just saw that!
it's a disgrace , revolting
they keep tae kwon do because i guess that they want asia to watch the games
judo is a joke too
like you said wrelsting is one of the most important sports!
it had to happen to a white dominated sport, how predictable

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
That's just messed up..

Matra2

Master
So a European form of sport is dropped from a European-invented sports event, but Asian fighting sports remain. The IOC doesn't even pretend to have integrity.

Old Scratch

Mentor
Must be taking valuable time and space from true sports like rythmic gymnastics, water polo, horse jumping, badminton and synchronized swimming.

Don't forget beach volleyball.

This is just retarded and makes no sense, except of course like you mention it is a sport that White countries dominate in. And there are no women competitors right? Another reason.

Last edited:

The Hock

Master
I don't think this will stand. If it does I feel bad for the kids who work so hard in such a grueling sport losing a possibility to shoot for. I wonder what psuedo-sports they'll dream up to add in the meantime.

Such a corrupt institution.

I think the whole Olympic thing would make a good reality show.

davidholly

Mentor
I don't think this will stand. If it does I feel bad for the kids who work so hard in such a grueling sport losing a possibility to shoot for. I wonder what psuedo-sports they'll dream up to add in the meantime.

Such a corrupt institution.

I think the whole Olympic thing would make a good reality show.

Ballroom dancing, speed walking and ping pong.

Matra2

Master
Ballroom dancing, speed walking and ping pong.
Table tennis is pretty good. Obviously it shouldn't be ahead of something as historic as wrestling but I wouldn't rank it with ballroom dancing.

It's time the IOC approved skateboarding.:icon_tongue:

scroat

Guru
Table tennis is pretty good. Obviously it shouldn't be ahead of something as historic as wrestling but I wouldn't rank it with ballroom dancing.

It's time the IOC approved skateboarding.:icon_tongue:

I have to admit I like table tennis too. I do consider water polo to be a legitimate sport as well. What I really dont understand is the rationale for eliminating wrestling from the Olympics. Its a sport in which the facilities cost next to nothing, which a potential spectator base of millions of former high school and collegiate wrestlers. Damn near everybody I know wrestled competitively at some level throughout their lives. Does anybody know what the IOC's "official" talking point is for the elimination of wrestling?

davidholly

Mentor
I have to admit I like table tennis too. I do consider water polo to be a legitimate sport as well. What I really dont understand is the rationale for eliminating wrestling from the Olympics. Its a sport in which the facilities cost next to nothing, which a potential spectator base of millions of former high school and collegiate wrestlers. Damn near everybody I know wrestled competitively at some level throughout their lives. Does anybody know what the IOC's "official" talking point is for the elimination of wrestling?

The IOC places a limit to the number of events that can be held at the Olympics. The IOC is very corrupt, so the sporting body willing to fork over the most cash... you get the point.

There's zero credible reasons for doing away with wrestling, I wish countries would tell the IOC to **** off and FIFA too while they're at it.

scroat

Guru
The IOC places a limit to the number of events that can be held at the Olympics. The IOC is very corrupt, so the sporting body willing to fork over the most cash... you get the point.

There's zero credible reasons for doing away with wrestling, I wish countries would tell the IOC to **** off and FIFA too while they're at it.

So in effect the IOC is limiting themselves, which is pretty stupid. They would be better using some self-control and not adding every ridiculous sport under the sun. The strange part is I would imagine wrestling would have more influence than most of the obscure sports. I suppose part of the problem is that NBC only likes to show beach volleyball, gymnastics and swimming.

So in effect the IOC is limiting themselves, which is pretty stupid. They would be better using some self-control and not adding every ridiculous sport under the sun. The strange part is I would imagine wrestling would have more influence than most of the obscure sports. I suppose part of the problem is that NBC only likes to show beach volleyball, gymnastics and swimming.

yeah, and wrestling has a deep connection to Olympic tradition & Greco-Roman culture.. it's a strange decision for elimination (?)
I was watching a little MMA on Spike last night, and during the broadcast they commented that Bellafor's site is getting some kind of protest/online activism started to keep wrestling in the Olympics.
Incidentally, during that Spike broadcast, I saw a White kid (Cooper) grind out a good victory.. following the fight, the clearly defeated opponent [a brotha named Pistare (sic?)] just stood there kinda dazed, & ignored Cooper's attempt @ post-fight congratulations/sportsmanship.. typical.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
The IOC is corrupt beyond believe. :mad2: Wrestling has always been (and always should be) a core Olympic sport. If they need to drop a (so called) "sport", then there's a long list of worthy candidates....ping pong, badminton, BMX "cycling", beach volleyball, "Artistic" gymnastics and sailing. Some of these events have NO business being in the Olympics and need to be replaced with true athletic events like MMA and submission wrestling.