Wenger wants England to pick Ghanaian

Europe

Mentor
A player born in Ghana who moved to England in 2000 wants to play for Ghana,but Wenger says England should get him to play for their national team. Why is this kid even in England? You could have an English guy who served his country who now has a son or grandson playing soccer,but they have to let a guy in from Ghana to take his place. Why does this guy want to play for Ghana? Isn't he English? Doesn't he like the country that gave him everything? I hope he doesn't play for England because he doesn't represent them at all. He has zero English blood, wasn't born in England and isn't even European? Do the dwf England fans want him? They're stupid enough they probably would. I'd rather lose without him,than win with him.

Arsene Wenger says England need Arsenal's Frimpong

Frimpong played three times for Arsenal in the Carling Cup last term
Arsene Wenger has urged the Football Association to act quickly to persuade Arsenal's young midfielder Emmanuel Frimpong to play for England.

The 18-year-old, who was born in Accra but moved to London in 2000, played for England Under-16 and Under-18s, but has indicated he wishes to play for Ghana.

Wenger said: "Here you have a boy who can choose between England and Ghana.

"So if I was in your place, I would have no hesitation and invite him to play very quickly for England."

I've seen what I wanted to see, that two new players can fit in well

Arsene Wenger
The Arsenal manager's praise followed his side's 3-2 victory over Celtic, which ensured the Gunners clinched the pre-season Emirates Cup.

Carlos Vela, Bacary Sagna and Samir Nasri were on the scoresheet for Arsenal, but it was Frimpong's former England Under-18 teammate Jack Wilshere who impressed the Gunners boss and won the man-of-the-match accolade.

"I believe he is stronger than last year, physically, and the few months he played (on loan) at Bolton has given him something," Wenger continued.

"He will be used at the club, of course. The problem at that age is to be patient. If you look at the number of good players we have in midfield, nobody can guarantee a position to anybody."

Frimpong in action for England Under-16's against Germany in 2008
And comparing his two midfielders, Wenger added: "Frimpong is a bit less of a dribbler but he's a fighter and a winner."

Arsenal were held to a 1-1 draw on Saturday with AC Milan, but the Frenchman said his side's performances had impressed him.

"I am pleased, because we had good opponents against teams who didn't give up.

"I've seen what I wanted to see, that two new players can fit in well. And I'm pleased with the fact that the young players who have played in the two games have done really well.

"And you will be pleased with the fact that they are English - so we are all happy," Wenger added.

The Arsenal boss added that winger Theo Walcott, who set up two of the Gunners goals, is "highly determined" to impress.

To the surprise of many, the winger was not picked as part of Fabio Capello's England World Cup squad in South Africa.

storyEdited by: Europe