UFC 84

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Ortiz v Machida:

Lots of folks seem to think Ortiz will put a beating on Machida, but I think Machida will take it. Ortiz has done so little that has been impressive in the past few years that it's hard to see him doing much against Machida.

Silva v Jardine:

Could be a great fight. I think Jardine will eventually win the fight by TKO.

Penn v Sherk:

Sherk by better gas tank.

Since my fight predictions have been odiously wrong for quite some time, you should put money on Ortiz, Silva, and Penn to win.
smiley36.gif

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
<center>SPOILER ALERT</font></center>

Silva v Mendes:
Thiago Silva was almost KO'd in the first minute, but Thiago took the mount after Mendes slipped attempting a judo throw. Thiago then won the fight by vicious ground n' pound in the first round.

Thiago by first round TKO.

Machida v Ortiz:
The Machida fight went exactly as I predicted (for once!)
smiley36.gif

Tito had nothing for Machida until the last 10 seconds of the third round when he almost caught Machida in a triangle. Machida hit Tito with leg kicks, occasional head kicks, took him down once, cut him, busted his lip, and knocked him down with a knee to the body. Tito was missing wide with everything he threw til the third round, when he caught Machida with a few punches and knees in the clinch, but the fight was all Machida.

The fans did boo occasionally because the actual 'fighting' was intermittent. Machida was just too elusive for Tito.

Machida by UD, 30-27 all three judges.

Gouveia v Reljic:
What can I say but WOW! The Croatian Reljic stopped Wilson Gouveia in impressive fashion. He hit Gouveia with multiple head kicks with the rear left leg, like the other Croatian we all know and love, Cro Cop.

Reljic won by TKO over Wilson Gouveia in the second round. But it wasn't a kick that did it, it was a left hand to the temple. Gouveia went down and Reljic beat on him until Herb Dean stopped the fight.

Surprisingly, Dean allowed both Reljic and Gouveia to take some serious punishment while mounted, unlike he used to do in the past. This worked in Reljic's favor because at one point in the second round Gouveia was working some serious ground 'n pound on Reljic before the fight moved back to the feet.

Reljic by TKO in the 2nd round.

Carwin v Wellisch:
Wow. Forty-four seconds in the first round, Carwin hits Wellisch right on the chin with a hard straight right. Fight over.

Carwin by KO in the 1st round.

Silva v Jardine
0:36 in the first round, Wanderlei KO's Jardine. Jardine went after Silva, took a right to the temple, and Wanderlei swarmed. Jardine was still conscious, rolling on the mat but Silva went after him and hit him with a couple of hard straight punches to the chin. Jardine went rigid and Mazzagatti stopped the fight. Pretty ugly KO.

Silva by KO at 0:36 in the first round.

Salaverry v Palhares
Some serious BJJ on display in this fight. Palhares by arm bar on transition. Very nice.

Palhares by submission in the first round.

Sherk v Penn
I don't know what was up with Sherk, but he went for one takedown in the first round and that was it. He was content to stand with Penn for three rounds, and he was peppered all night with jabs and straight rights. Sherk threw a few leg kicks, but spent most of the night counter punching or swinging at air. Inexplicable performance.

Penn hit him with a few punches and then a knee that rocked Sherk and put him on his ass. Penn hit him with a few bombs while Sherk was on the ground and the bell rang before the ref stepped in. But Sherk could not or would not continue.

Penn by TKO at the end of the third. Edited by: White Shogun

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Yoshida v Koppenhaver
Another fight that ended in the first round. Yoshida finished Koppenhaver in short order with an anaconda choke. Koppenhaver didn't tap and Yoshida put him to sleep.

Yoshida by sub first round.

Sokoudjou v Namakmura
Do not blink! say Rogan and Goldberg. Sokoudjou is sooooo explosive, he could finish the fight at any time! Nakamura spends the first round standing in front of Sok and the two exchange blows throughout the first round. Sok works leg kicks, and catches Nakamura with a right hand to the chin that puts Nakamura on the canvas with about 10 seconds left. Nakamura's leg collapsed under him and he fell awkwardly on his knee, Sokoudjou went down for some ground and pound but Nakamura was saved by the bell. However, Nakamura appeared to have injured his knee when he went down and cannot continue the fight.

Sokoudjou by TKO round one.

Poacher

Mentor
I thought Sherk would push the pace more. He's not tall enough to win stand-up battles. He was eating that jab all friggin' night.

Reljic looked good. I thought it was gonna be stopped but like WS said Dean let it go and it worked out great for Goran.

Carwin could be a force at heavyweight. He certainly has power.

When Jardine loses he loses UGLY. Youch man. He kinda scared me layin' there for 5 minutes after the fight was over. He wasn't moving.

Tito was out-classed the whole fight. He wanted to turn it into a trench war but Machida was having no part of it. He almost got lucky with the triangle at the end though.

G

Best show of the year so far.

Looking to see what Carwin can do next.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
nevada said:
Best show of the year so far.

I agree. Not only did we get to see 9 out of 11 fights on the card, we weren't treated to endless commercials for some movie or other garbage. The UFC put on a good show tonight.

Wonder if it has anything to with EliteXC and Affliction capable of putting together fights the public wants to see as well?
smiley17.gif

G

I think Jardine is too slow to handle strikers with speed and power. He can handle one or the other, but not both at the same time.

nopictures

Guru
I was disappointed in Sherk, he seems like he would have good stand-up if he were a bit taller :p I was hoping he would put a beating on that loud mouth vampire, too.

guest301

Hall of Famer
nevada said:
I think Jardine is too slow to handle strikers with speed and power. He can handle one or the other, but not both at the same time.

He seemed to handle Liddell just fine and Chuck has plenty of speed and power. I think Jardine lost to a great fighter(Silva) who was overdue for a impressive victory.

G

Liddell has power but not much speed. His reflexes are pretty slow now. Walk backwards, eat punches, counterpunch. He gets knocked down in every match these days.

Jardine is like frankenstein monster in there, clanking around like he is made from nuts and bolts. Anybody with a fast attack has the potential to overwhelm him.

guest301

Hall of Famer
Till future fights prove otherwise I still say Chuck Liddell has plenty of speed. He still has the best sprawl in the MMA game and that certainly has a element of speed and reflex to it. He has great hand speed and can hit you about a dozen times before you even know whats happening, ask Tito and Wandy about that.

nopictures

Guru
I think that's true about Jardine, even though he beat Liddell he's probably never going to be anything more than a good "gatekeeper".

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Liddell's strength has always been counter-punching, and knocking out guys who chase him around the octagon - wrestlers like Couture, Ortiz, and Babalu (which is why I'm hoping he fights Rashad before it's too late.) But when Chuck faces someone who won't pursue him, he seems thrown off a bit and isn't as effective.

Enter Jardine and his herky-jerky voodoo style of standup, and you get the otherwise inexplicable win over Liddell.