UFC 81

Spoiler Alert

I decided to throw down the coin to watch Brock's big debut. I was pretty impressed. He is going to be a force once he gets a few fights under his belt. His first take down was about as fast and clean as I've seen in the UFC, and he may have finished it up right there if not for a very premature ref stoppage for a blow to the back of the head (which I've seen done dozens of times in a row with mere verbal warnings, Lessnar got one in as Mir was turning his head away and the ref stopped the fight and deducted a point with NO warning).

I thought the more impressive newcomer was the guy who was in on 10 days notice that kept doing the front kicks. That guy kicked the crap out of his opponent, literally, and then threw him down on his head/shoulder pretty viciously. The scary thing is that he is one of those White guys who you wouldn't think twice about throwing down with in a bar.

Sylvia fought a good fight for the most part, but the Brazilian true to his reputation managed to come back and catch him after taking quite a bit of punishment.

One last observation. I think Frank Mir thinks he is a black guy. He came in to some (c)rap song, with a black man's stroll. Lessnar came in to the classic "Shout at the devil" and I was soooooooooo hoping he would win at that point. Sylvia came in to Hillbilly delux with an American Flag draped around his shoulders, something I'd like to see more fighters do. These guys like Mir just make me shake my head, have some pride. I think he will get his title shot now, but he didn't show me much tonight other then that he can pull off a submission against a guy with 1 fight under his belt.

Ex-PhillyGuy

Mir is actually Mexican (at least part) so it's really par for the course.

I loved the "Shout at the Devil" choice. I too started to root for him then.

But, all in all, it's better for MMA if the "streetwise bul" wins because he has the experience.

Maybe Brock starts off a bit slower...

jared

Mentor
I enjoyed the night, some good fights. I was pulling for Brock also but like many have said, the potential is definitely there. I feel kind of bad for big Timmy but you gotta love somebody like Nog who can take such punishment and pull out wins with flawless BJJ.