UFC 72

Poacher

Mentor
Anyone gonna watch it?

We have Rich Franklin back in action against Yushin Okami.

We also have Forrest Griffin back in the Octagon against Hector Ramirez.

I will keep to my promise of never again prognosticating an MMA bout and just say that I'll be pulling for Rich and Forrest.

I believe this one is in Ireland.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I'm definitely going to watch it. Everyone needs to be aware this fight starts at noon PST. It's being broadcast live from Ireland so we're going to have to watch it in the afternoon here in the States.

I'm going to avoid picking fights anymore, too, Poacher. I just know who I want to win - Rich and Forrest. I don't dislike Okami though, so I'm not going to relish a beatdown if he gets one. I just want Rich to win convincingly so I can know he has recovered from his brutal loss to Silva.

Don't forget about Jason MacDonald against Rory Singer. I'm pulling for MacDonald in that one. After he dismantled both Herman and Leben, he became one of my new favorites.

nopictures

Guru
the Herman/Macdonald fight was a great exhibition of technical grappling skill by both fighters, ending in a brutal submission, I wanna see this dude fight again...it's a shame though because I haven't seen Herman fight since...

Here's hoping Franklin whoops some ass.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
That was Herman v Scott Smith, not MacDonald. MacDonald is fighting Rory Singer. It was a good fight, though.

The Clay Guida v Tyson Griffin was very exciting, one of the best fights that I've watched in recent memory. You
guys that don't like grappling need to watch that fight, if you can find it on You Tube. The sub attempts and reversals were awesome. Griffin won a split decision, although Eddie Bravo and Joe Rogan both said that Guida should have won. The crowd thought so too, as they booed when the decision was announced (although the Irish fans haven't booed at all during the fights, unlike the typical US fans.)

Shaping up to be a very impressive UFC. I hope the MacDonald and Franklin fights are as exciting as the undercard.

Forrest Griffin won by UD over Ramirez. He fought a different style of fight today against Hector Ramirez. He was in and out and avoided a slug fest with Ramirez. Forrest was throwing head kicks and leg kicks, mixing them in with punches and getting out. He was much more elusive and seems to have deliberately modified his style to avoid engaging in brawling slugfests. He made several jokes after the fight about having been KO'd and being afraid, typical self-deprecating Forrest humor. Good showing by Forrest today.

Main even up next. Okami has a 1" height advantage and a 2" reach advantage over Franklin. Should be interesting.

Stay tuned.
smiley1.gif

Wow. Franklin squeaks out a 29-28 UD over Okami. The first two rounds went to Franklin with very lackluster stand up. Both guys seemed a little too cautious. But in the third, Okami almost submitted Franklin with a kimura. It was pretty ugly, I thought Franklin's arm was going to pop out of it's socket. But he managed to roll out of it and hold Okami off on the mat til the buzzer.

Franklin doesn't appear to have recovered from the beating Silva gave him, IMO.

All in all though, pretty decent card. The Herman v Scott Smith fight and Guida v Griffin fight were worth the price of the PPV alone.

Forgot to mention, MacDonald submitted Rory Singer.Edited by: White Shogun

Poacher

Mentor
Good job Forrest. He threw a ton of leg kicks. He was much more patient in this fight and it served him well.

As far as Franklin was concerned, I thought he did alright. He was not dominating, perhaps respecting Okami's stand up game a little too much but he clearly won nonetheless. It was interesting to see Okami have to fight someone who could match his strength for a change, he couldn't just bull Rich all over the ring.

The Guida/ Griffin fight was a ground fighting clinic, awesome. I think I would have given it to Guida.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
What do you think, Poacher, Franklin ready for rematch against Silva? I think Rich gets tooled bad again.

Poacher

Mentor
White Shogun said:
What do you think, Poacher, Franklin ready for rematch against Silva? I think Rich gets tooled bad again.

Well, I'm not sure. Part of me thinks that he was fighting very "opponent specific" against Okami and that were he to face Silva again he would use different tactics but I really don't know.

Rich's best bet against Silva is to use his strength advantage and get the fight to the ground and take his chances there. Otherwise I think you're right WS, he would get beaten again...maybe not quite as bad though.

nopictures

Guru
Epic fail, I was just talking about not seeing Ed Herman since his defeat to (Macdonald...I think...now you have me questioning my memory ;_; ) I didn't check the card before I saw the re-run at BWW, I was talking about an earlier match that Ed lost, getting his face pounded while being in a triangle or some such. I'm glad to see Ed win even if he is kind of a dick head, his fights always seem entertaining.

the Guida/Griffin fight was incredible, both these guys were great. If it were possible for two guys to win then I think this would be one such situation. The best part is it looked like they were both smiling and laughing while beating the crap out of each other. Griffin's take down defense was impressive as hell, too, not to mention that hilarious face planting death drop Griffin pulled off.

the main event sucked in a way, the same way many do as the fighters have seemed so pensive and cautious. What an ending though! Rich Franklin earned that victory with his heart in the end, that was the most brutal kimura I've seen someone recover from, and made the rest of the inaction more tolerable.

Edited by: nopictures

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
nopics,
I apologize! You're right, MacDonald did beat Herman in a fight a few months ago. MacDonald picked up the name 'Tuf Killer' after that, having disposed of both Herman and Leben (and now Rory Singer, too.) MacDonald's win over Herman is what set up his fight with Franklin.

moose,
I'm not sure if he is half-black or some other darker ethnic mix, perhaps Native American?

nopictures

Guru
He could also be a white boy who detests his natural palour and decided to get a fake ass orange-peel tan instead, but I dunno.