"Tribal" diversity article on ESPN

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Some snippets...

Maybe tribalism is a fundamental facet of our personalities and our fun football fantasy version is relatively harmless when contrasted with the real thing.

The best definition I have seen of the word tribalism is simple: "Tribalism is a double standard. What is OK for my tribe is not OK for anyone else's tribe." The dictionary version only indicates strong loyalty to one's group, but that does not describe the virulent forms we see today....

"The virus of tribalism has the potential to become the equivalent of the HIV/AIDS epidemic in the next century." We in the United States did not begin to understand until Sept. 11, 2001. We are still learning, as we look on in horror at the images from Israel, France and Iraq, wondering whether we are next....

The football huddle is a metaphor for our culture, and rivalries draw particular attention to one's preferred huddle. I know the analogy isn't perfect, but it fits in many ways. Our huddles include folks who are black, brown, white, red, yellow, liberal, conservative, Muslim, Jewish, Christian, Buddhist, Hindu, agnostic and atheist...
for full article click here