Top 10 unbreakable sports records

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
askmen.com provided the list here: link

eight of the ten were white athletes or led by a white man. although i don't agree with the order of the list, it is inspiring to say the least.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I think Gretzky's single season point mark and Chamberlin's 100 point game will be topped. Kobe Bryantcame close toChamberlinthis year, and Mario Lemieux had 199 points in his peak season. With the offense being put back into hockey, Gretzky's mark doesn't seem as insurmountable. His career points will be tougher to beat, though.

That entire list could be made up solely of baseball records that won't be topped. I would have put Ryan's career strikeouts record rather than his no-hitters in there. It'll be tough for anyone to ever best Pete Rose's career hits. DiMaggio's hitting streak was left out. Then you have the more obscure records like Jack Chesbro's 41 wins in a season and 36 triples in a season by Owen Wilson. All kinds of pitching markslike innings pitched in a season, complete games,and others aren't in any danger of being challenged.

Loved the obligatory negative reference to Ty Cobb.Completely pointless but necessary since Cobb was a "racist." He has been demonized just like many other white baseball heroes -- Ruth and Mantle were drunks, DiMaggio was cheap, etc.

Re Cobb, the book "Honus Wagner: On His Life & Baseball" has just been reissued. In it, Wagner writes of Cobb that he was "fearless in that he was never afraid of infielders' spikes, yet they were afraid of his," adding that Cobb was tough but not dirty and "never tried to injure anyone."

Quite a different version of Cobb from one of hiscontemporaries than the slanderous, cartoonish rendering of himover the past generationas a vicious, out-of-control dirty player. Being Southern andin agreement with the racial consensus ofhis time are Cobb's actual "crimes" rather than anything based on reality.Edited by: Don Wassall

Gary

Mentor
Yes they left out Joe DiMaggio's 56 game hitting streak and also Ted Williams batting 406 both in 1941, that's well over 60 years and nobody has broken those records.

Poacher

Mentor
I would've put Cy Young's 511 wins at number 1. I mean c'mon.

Chamberlin's 100 pts will definately fall.