Strongest man in NFL

freedom1

Mentor
I've been doing some searches on the NFL's Larry Allen. A number of articles said he benched 700 raw without too much problem. You guys heard anything about this?

I also came across this 2004 article on Sam Rayburn. It sounds like although Allen has more upper body strength, Rayburn has stronger legs and legs may count a little bit more.

PHILADELPHIA - The mantle of "Strongest Man in the NFL" was passed on last season, in one spectacular play, at Lincoln Financial Field in a game between two old rivals.
In his first game against the Dallas Cowboys, rookie free agent Sam Rayburn had the dubious task of trying to stop perennial Pro Bowl guard and consensus NFL strongman Larry Allen from controlling the line of scrimmage. The game had serious playoff implications, and stopping the Cowboys rushing attack would be a key element to the Eagles' success.
In the third quarter, the Eagles were clinging to a 17-10 lead. The Cowboys defense was playing well and had just stopped the Birds on consecutive possessions.
The Cowboys opened its next drive with a reverse to Joey Galloway, which gained just two yards. Quarterback Quincy Carter's second-down pass was completed over the middle to Jason Witten for 10 yards and a first down. A holding call on the next play set up a first-and-20. On that play, Carter was sacked for a seven-yard loss by Rayburn, who blew by Allen like he was an unlocked gate for his first career sack. After a three-yard gain, the Eagles defense earned a safety when the snap went past Carter and through the end zone to give the Eagles a 19-10 lead that would end up a 36-10 laugher.
That Rayburn was able to brush Allen aside was not because of great speed - he was timed at pedestrian 5.18 in the 40-yard dash coming out of Tulsa - but because he has tremendous strength and power in his legs.
He registered an outstanding 960-pound squat (using a safety bar) his senior year as a defensive tackle for the Golden Hurricanes. The lift is easily one of the biggest squats in the history of the sport of football - at any level.
"My strength has always been my biggest asset," Rayburn said in a recent phone interview. "Without it I don't think I would have made it on this team."
Rayburn also reports he has hit a 540-pound bench press raw (without the use of a bench shirt or other lifting equipment) and a 38-repetition bench press turn of 225 pounds.
According to his former Tulsa strength coach JT Allaire, now with the Buffalo Bills, Rayburn's enthusiasm in the weight room helped him get noticed by NFL scouts.
"He just loves to lift," Allaire told Footballstories . "He is a very explosive, powerful player."
Allaire also added that Rayburn has done five reps of 405-pound power cleans from the hand. "Sam is really something to watch in the weight room."
He was also something to watch on the field last season. Rayburn appeared in 10 games and registered two sacks and nine solo tackles. Those numbers were among the best for rookie defensive tackles.
Defensive coordinator Jim Johnson says Rayburn has a chance hang around the league for a long time. He got his break last season when season-ending injuries to regulars Hollis Thomas and Paul Grasmanis allowed him more minutes on the field. Rayburn seized the opportunity and is considered a part of the Eagles rotation for 2004. Add in the fact that Pro Bowl tackle Corey Simon elected to stay home for the recent mini-camps as part of a contract dispute giving the second-year player even more reps in practice, and it is easy to see Rayburn's future is bright.
"I think if he keeps working hard he has a chance to be a starter in the NFL," Johnson said recently. "He looks like he is one of the strongest guys when he is out on the field."
Johnson said it was Rayburn's overall strength that made him attractive to the Birds defensive coaches after last year's draft.
"We could see his strength early on in preseason games," Johnson said. "When he got into game situations, we saw him put some pressure on the quarterback, and he did a good job against the run."
The Eagles liked what they saw in Rayburn enough that when the San Francisco 49ers asked to have Rayburn included in the deal that brought Pro Bowl wide receiver Terrell Owens to the Eagles, the Birds declined and sent defensive end Brandon Whiting instead.
"It is definitely a vote of confidence," Rayburn said when he learned of the trade request.
The 23-year-old is also a fan of strength sports. He routinely watches "World's Strongest Man" whenever it is on ESPN2.
His favorite pro strongmen include Whit Baskin (both are Oklahoma natives), Hugo Girard, two-time defending WSM champion Mariusz Pudzianowski, Jouko Aholo and Janne Virtanen.
"I watch it every time it's on," Rayburn said. "Especially 2003 and 2002. I saw Steve Kirit compete the other day. I really enjoy the show."
Rayburn spent the off-season adding more muscle to his 6-foot-3 frame. "I'm a little bit heavier this year as opposed to last year, weighing about 335 pounds as opposed to 315 pounds last season," Rayburn said. "I feel faster and understand the techniques better within the position. The increased weight will give me a better chance of standing up against the offensive linemen because they'll be weighing around the same range."
Rayburn understands why NFL strength coaches tend to have conservative approaches to weight training. The players represent an investment by the owners. Every coach must evaluate the risk factor when putting a program together for each player. Weight room injuries are unacceptable at any level, but at the pro level, a serious injury to a key player would, in many cases, cost the strength coach his job.
Most players entering the pro level are fully developed anyway and don't necessarily need to lift heavy like they did in high school and college.
But Rayburn says he plans to keep lifting, even after his playing days are over. He loves the sport and believes it can lead to a healthier lifestyle...says, Rayburn, "I plan to lift everyday until I am unable."

White_Savage

Mentor
Freedom: The concensus among "those who know" is that Allen's 700 lbs. bench press involved a bounce and was more of a deadlifting feat for the spotter...

Really, anything outside of bench press competition doesn't tell you much. There are dozens of men who have supposedly bench-pressed more than 700 lbs. Mendolson could probably do 750 raw (or 800, with Allen's form and "help) if he cared to try raw, reportedly has done 740 raw, but you can't count that either. Rychlak's 1005 bench press was done with one hell of a shirt, but it's absolutely crazy to insist that his shirt adds 300+ lbs. And much as one can hate the shirts for taking the purity out of the contest, one should keep in mind that nearly 100% of bench-pressers used to have their careers ended by injury.

It is an annoying oddity that a Black has a "record", however shaky, for a bench press in the NFL when Whites generally dominate strength competitions, but one must keep in mind that huge bench presses simply aren't what the NFL is about. It is doubly odd when you consider that the vast majority of 600+ lbs bench presses for non powerlifters belong to Whites, and that in at least one study, sedentary, smaller Whites benched more than active Blacks. But 600+ is the category that Allen would probably belong in for an honest, standard-form bench. Still monstrous, not taking anything away from the man.

James Henderson, a Black, benched just under Mendelson's raw record in competition, yet he was huge and so fat that he only had to move the weight through token distances, as compared to Mendelson, also huge but at least Scott is wider through the shoulders than he is fat through the gut. And bench-pressing below SHW is lilly White. As this interesting article on
Sports Stars Bench Presses states "So, although a 600lbs bench press is very rare outside of powerlifting records, it is still sometimes accomplished in sports. We still have to keep in mind that athletes are athletes, and although athletes might be impressive animals of strength we have to keep in mind that athletes are not as strong as powerlifters who actually perform these lifts under the toughest of all conditions. For example, we have done an interview with Jeremy Hoornstra. Jeremy has bench pressed 605lbs in competition weighing far less than all of these athletes as he stands at a lean 230lbs. However, in training Jeremy is putting up 675lbs RAW. Therefore, Jeremy Hoornstra the powerlifter is stronger at the bench press than every athlete and wrestler in existence of all time for the exception of Larry Allen who is twice Jeremy's size and yet they are still close in strength."

freedom1

Mentor
Thanx for the info Savage. There's a lot of questionable info floating around when it comes to poundages. Has there ever been any kind of regulated contest for strength in the NFL?

JoeV

Guru
They used to have one at the fastest man thing I think. I remember Herschel Walker putting up a lot, but the memory is very fuzzy. Anyone remember that show?

white is right

Hall of Famer
Training bench records are very spotty. There aren't any judges to see if he cleared the press. Bouncing is also a problem too. It's similar to sprint times in football and baseball.

freedom1

Mentor
Yeah, I saw the video of Tank (from the UFC) benching 600. It was a big time bounce.

Deacon

Guru
From looking at the Eagles' depth chart Sam is not even starting...

link

Let me guess, he'll be on the special teams.