Rugby sevens on TV

Bronk

Mentor
The IRB Sevens World Series from San Diego was on Versus Saturday. Anyone catch it? Some damn good Rugby from the USA, Canada, France (a surprise), England and Scotland.

Kiwi

Yeah we got it live last week here in NZ. Its pretty cool to see some of the lesser nations like USA, canada and portugal really starting to improve and begin to compete with the top sides. Also, it looks like the New Zealand team is finally picking some white guys again which is good to see.

Bronk

Mentor
We were fed a two hour highlight reel. I was surprised at Portugal's showing as well as France and Canada, too.

Kiwi, I read awhile back that whites in NZ were leaving Rugby to the Maoris because many thought it was "too rough." Say it isn't so. I did see a lot of whites on the NZ side but not enough for my tastes. The Springboks looked pretty black as well.

Kiwi

Yeah throughout the last 10-15 years rugby in NZ had a big problem with "White Flight". This came about for a number of reasons, mainly because of the simple fact that polynesians develop physically far earlier than europeans. It wasnt such a problem when there were just maoris, because they're all at least about 25% white anyway.

The real problem now is all the polynesians (Fijians, Tongans, and Samoans) who have moved to NZ, especially the North Island. When you go to an under 13's game of rugby and see some poor 40kg kid trying to tackle a 80-90 kg Tongan you can see why parents tell their kids to play soccer instead.

Fortunately in the last few years the NZRU have done something about this and have introduced weight grades instead of age grades in certain situations and have an ad campaign which specifically targets young white kids to play. It's been pretty successful, i think playing numbers are up about 15% an the last couple of years so hopefully the "white flight" phase is over.

As for south african rugby, i think this article is a good indication of where it is headed

http://xtramsn.co.nz/rugby/0,,12416-6992300,00.html

Bronk

Mentor
Wow, though it does not surprise me what is happening in SA.

Funny about the polynesians developing at an earlier age than whites, blacks do as well. When I look at many of the polynesians in Rugby, they look more ******* than say a polynesian from Hawaii, who looks more Chinese. I have to admit ignorance in this area, because I have never really read about the people of the Pacific islands.

Texas is beginning to see an influx of polynesians, who, as I've been told, tend to settle in packs of family clans. the Euless-Trinity area of Dallas is starting to see so many move there that the E-T gridiron team does the Haka.

Kiwi

I think theres quite a variation in what the Islanders look like. With the Samoans and Tongans, they range from really dark to quite asian looking in some cases. Then you've got the Fijians, who could easily be mistaken for africans. Funnily enough, they're considered to be the best wingers in NZ because they have superior speed and "elusiveness".
smiley6.gif

devans

Mentor
I saw some highlights of the Rugby sevens and it was great to watch. This (seven-a side)is a really entertaining version of the game, particularly for people new to Rugby, which is a rather complex game.

It's a bit like when there is five seconds left in a football game and the team with possession is six points behind and starts throwing laterals around in a desperate attempt to keep the ball alive and score at the same time. Great to watch.