Romo admits steroid use...

SteveB

Mentor
It is official, Bill Romanowski used steroids. It is so pervasive in the NFL, the question should be who isn't using steroids?

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/4989824

Bill Romanowski used steroids and human growth hormone supplied by Victor Conte, the former NFL linebacker tells CBS' 60 Minutes in an interview to be broadcast Sunday.

Romanowski said he took illegal steroids for a two-year period starting in 2001 and got them from Conte, the former head of the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative, which has been at the center of a steroids controversy in several sports.
"I took (human growth hormone) for a brief period and ... I definitely didn't receive what I got out of THG," Romanowski said, referring to another drug he got from Conte.

In November 2003, the NFL notified Romanowski that he tested positive for the steroid THG.

Romanowski played linebacker for the San Francisco 49ers, Philadelphia Eagles, Denver Broncos and Oakland Raiders in a 16-year career that ended in 2003.

Last May, he agreed to pay former Raiders teammate Marcus Williams $415,000 in damages for a hit to the face during a practice drill in 2003. Williams' career ended after his eye socket was broken.

Romanowski played for the Raiders during their 2002 Super Bowl season.

He writes about his NFL career in a soon-to-be-released book, Romo, My Life on the Edge.

White_Savage

Mentor
This may piss the rest of y'all off, but that punch makes Romanowski my favorite football player of all time. The power in that fist! Football must be what sucks up alot of American White heavy-weight potentials.

hedgehog

Mentor
I disagree, the spit in the face on JJ Stokes was my favorite. I just wish it could have been the other 49er reciever at the time-Terrel Owens.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Marcus got more in the settlement than he would have made in his career as a scrub football player.

I mentioned on a previous thread when and how Romanowski got his take-no-prisoners attitude: he was a rookie trying to make the 49ers, and Ronnie Lott saw him get pushed around by another player. Lott showed him the film and told Romanowski to NEVER back down and NEVER take sh*t from anyone.

The rest is history.

Personally, I don't care about his use of steroids, either. Only a select few players seem to be called out for steroid use in pro sports, and the only ones getting a pass are, of course, blacks. Much ado will be made of Romanowski's steroid use but Moss's admission that he smoked marijuana has already been relegated to the trash bin of news. And don't even get me started on Ricky Williams.
smiley7.gif

Despite steroids, punching his teammate, and spitting in whats-his-names face, Romo is still one of my all time favorite football players. All time. I think we need a lot more white men like him in football, men who won't back down and aren't afraid to mix it up with the black thugs that populate sports teams today.

Bart

Hall of Famer
This is my favorite Romo incident.

The Associated Press DENVER â€â€￾ Shannon Sharpe's animosity for Bill Romanowski started well before the Oakland linebacker dislocated his elbow last season.

In fact, Sharpe didn't even like Romanowski when they were teammates.

"I don't know if I disliked him, or if I disliked the things that he did," Sharpe said Wednesday. "When someone keeps doing something, you say that that isn't him, he is just making some bad decisions. Sometimes those decisions reflect the person."

The two adversaries meet again when the Broncos play the Raiders Monday night.

Sharpe hopes it goes a lot better than the last time he faced Romo and the Raiders on a Monday night. Not only did the Raiders blow out the Broncos last Nov. 11, Sharpe had to miss the next three games after Romanowski dislocated his right elbow.

Sharpe said at the time he wasn't sure if Romanowski was trying to hurt him, but he wouldn't put it past him.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Romo lost me when he made a "tearful" apology to his teammates. Never say you're sorry!!

Bart

Hall of Famer
Why apologize to that crowd? He should have told them to go to hell.

[sarcasm]

Someone on the Faders (er... Raiders) used steriods?? NOO!

[/sarcasm]

There is just something about the Raiders I don't like, some thuggish group dynamic about them I can't quite put my finger on but many of the individual players they have had on their teams I have liked and seemed like OK guys (Rich Gannon, Kerry Collins, even Mr. Raider Tim Brown)

whiteCB

Master
You are excatly right white shogun about that Romo thing and the part that gets me is that its a black guy that helps him up and tells him to stick up for himself. This is just like my black DB coach in high school he saw another guy try to get at me after a play in practice and pulled me aside and tells me, "You never let let him push you around like that and that goes for life as well. If he ever does that to you again. Kick the sh*t out of him." Black people know what its like being the minority and they see white guys are the minority in football so when they see them get pushed around they tell the white guy ot stick up for himself. I'm telling you guys and SteveB knows what I'm talking about black coached treat white players better than white coaches do.

SteveB

Mentor
I'm with you on this one WCB. The best coach I had in college was a guy named Robert Ford, who went on to be the receivers coach for the Cowboys and Dolphins. He always gave me a fair shake. The white coaches on our team had degrading nicknames for most of the walk-on players. Bob Toledo, Mike Sherman, and Bob Davie were some of the worst. I'm glad all of these guys failed later in their coaching careers, except Sherman who is on ther verge of getting fired. It warms my heart.

whiteCB

Master
Yep my black DB coach in high school was the best varsity coach I ever had and at the Ohio St camp then black DB coach Mel Tucker was very good as well and actually had me start during 7 on 7s. I was the only white guy in starting secondary. I was very pround og that as I was playing with some of the best players in the state.

White_Savage

Mentor
Despite Romanowski's new pink-shirt and soft-spoken demeanor, which is probably just to boost his popularity, I think competitor is still in there. And the punching incident, I look at it this way. How likely is it that White man started an incident like that with a black? How likely is it that a White man threw a punch WITHOUT first hearing some of the "trash talking" which blacks are supposed to be good at? Talk sh*t, get bit, IMO.

WhiteCB: You are dealing with a concept I call "filtration". Once a Black man makes it to the level of head coach, he's nessecarily displayed intelligence and socialable behavior of at least normal human levels. It's kind of like people I know who've never dealt with blacks before going to university...at that level, a large percentage of the blacks you do encounter will be especially intelligent and likeable blacks. It does not change the average nature of the blacks as evidenced by statistics or encounters with a broad cross-section, however.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Wow.

Romo is taking a beating by the CBS sports crew this morning, of Gumbel, Boomer, Marino and of course Shannon Sharpe.

Sharpe told Romo to stop referring to himself in the third person, that Romo did what he did deliberately to injure other players, and that all of the apologies mean nothing. He said Romo took steroids because he couldn't compete on the field with his God-given talent.

Marino said that the league was far different now than when they played, and that less than 1% of NFL players today abuse steroids (I actually laughed out loud when I heard that line, but anyway...)

And Boomer says the 60 Minutes interview airing tonight is a pathetic attempt by a pathetic man to sell a book. Thats all it is. Boomer asks, "What, are we supposed to suddenly feel sorry for this guy?"

I think its kinda funny actually that he has so many haters. Makes you think he did something right when he played the game, if an a-hole like Shannon Sharpe doesn't like him.

Bart

Hall of Famer
Shannon (Mr.Ed) isan obnoxious idiot.How did he get into broadcasting? His speaking voice is terrible, sounds like he's talking with a mouthful of oats.

Message Board At that point in the game the Denver offense was still moving the ball effectively against the much maligned Raider defense. To all our surprise, with Sharpe out of the game, the Denver offense had no other real threat. Coach Shanahan obviously put all his eggs in one basket, banking on the fact the Sharpe would leave Romo in his dust, time and again. Instead Romo covered like a blanket and snapped Sharpe's elbow like a chicken-wing. In all seriousness though, Romo's speed in coverage is impressive.

Kaptain

Master
They ripped on Romo like he was the scum of the earth but gave a free pass to all of the Viking players involved in the "love boat" by not mentioning one players name. They also gave a free pass to keyshawn Johnson once again and Ricky Williams. Not to mention others that have gotten free passes and even have become more well liked by these idiots - Ray Lewis, Jamal Lewis just to name a couple. And Shannon Sharpe didn't do Roids? paaalease! Today all the sports pregame talking heads said the same thing as if reading from a script: Romo is dirt, we shouldn't blame the Viking players, Tice has lost control, Keyshawn is just a competitor, and Ricky is back yah! How could they say it all in one breath without laughing?