Rolling Stones

hedgehog

Mentor
It was announced today that the Rolling Stones will be performing during the super bowl. Mike Wilbon from ESPN's pardon the interuption has a problem with the NFL choosing the Rolling Stones to perform in <?:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Detroit</st1:place></st1:City>. So now apparently in addition to an all black caste of players and coaches, halftime entertainment needs to be black as well. Whats next? Demands that the refs all be black as well? I can just see the referee position develope "caste" referees. The refs that straddle the line of scrimmage and watch the line will be white. The refs that run down field with the wide recievers will be the "athletic" refs (only blacks will be able to do this) I am sure the NFL will throw them a bone and give them someone to sing the national anthem or something to avoid any conflicts.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Was Wilbon's problem with the Stones actually because they're white? Did he say that specifically, or are you inferring his meaning from his comments?

hedgehog

Mentor
He didnt say it specifically- I was inferring it from his argument with that other guy on the show - Tony Cornhole. It went something to the effect " the Rolling Stones"......"Detroit"" I think the NFL should find somebody else for a Detroitsuper bowl"

surfsider

Guru
Considering the make-up of pro football crowds I can't see that it makes much difference where the game is played and who is attempting to entertain at halftime.

I would hazard a guess that if the Stones were polled as to who their major musical influences were, they would almost all be black. You'd think that the best argument against the Stones would be that Mick and Keith are more Steve and Edie at this point than they are rock and roll.

JoeV

Guru
Yeah unfortunately after Janet's nipple, they are going to keep using safe halftime show acts. Read: artists popular in the '60s. Subsquent Super Bowls will feature Neil Diamond, Tina Turner, Elton John, and Simon & Garfunkel. The NFL actually didn't do a half bad job picking artists before the whole nipplegate fiasco. They did a better job than the NBA did featuring Big and Rich (the save horse/cowboy guys) at halftime. That would be like NASCAR playing Mike Jones or Usher.
smiley36.gif
As for Wilbon, he is less Caste system than Kornheiser, but they are both pretty fair. I have never had a problem with PTI and anything racial.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I'd rather hear some old rock and roll anyday over this crap they make now that some call music!
smiley4.gif
smiley32.gif

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
There was a full page ad for the Stones Superbowl appearance in USA today and those dudes look oooold. Why can't they take their millions and just retire to some cottage in the English country side? What is it about famous people, why can't they let it go?

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
If people would stop buying tickets to their shows, they would retire. Until then, get used to them!
smiley36.gif

foreverfree

Mentor
JoeV said:
Yeah unfortunately after Janet's nipple, they are going to keep using safe halftime show acts. Read: artists popular in the '60s. Subsquent Super Bowls will feature Neil Diamond,
Neil's no stranger to Super festivities. He "spoke" rather than sang the SSB at Super Bowl XXI (Giants over Broncos) in that overly schmaltzy style that IMO (dis)graced much of his post-"Longfellow Serenade" work.

As for Wilbon, he is less Caste system than Kornheiser, but they are both pretty fair. I have never had a problem with PTI and anything racial.

What do you mean by that, JoeV? When you say Wilbon "is less Caste system", do you mean Wilbon is less inclined to believe in the existence of a Caste system than Kornheiser (his Washington Post colleague, IIRC)?

John

Kaptain

Master
KJV1 said:
&lt;P =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"&gt;&lt;SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 9pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"&gt;Whats next?   Demands that the refs all be black as well?   I can just see the referee position develope "caste" referees.  &lt;/SPAN&gt;

Ahhh, that's already happening. I have noticed more and more black referees in every sport over the past few years. Just compare how many there are now to racial population demographics.

Charlie

Guru
Big and Rich? Are you saying they're good or bad? I think they're as real as Garth. Which means they're fake. A midget in their act, just like Kid Rock. The African-American 'cowboy' Roy in their act.

Straight from the bowels of Viacom. Country by committee and focus group. Maybe Bich or Rig have a gay bass-playing sister who can play in their band, just like Garth's gay bass-playing sister who plays in his band.